for sale : usa Hunting Lease for Sale - Cattaraugus County, NY

Hello.  I have one large lease available in the Cuba/Rushford area that has suddenly become available.  It is 426 acres in the Town of Lyndon, on Rawson Road.  It has hills, some cropland, cattail swamp, oak forest.  There is a derelict cabin on the property that you may use.  I have personally hunted this property and know that it is a haven for turkey and deer, as well as waterfowl.  Price $7,242.00 per year for all seasons, exclusive rights.

I am a consulting forester, and these leases are for a client of mine (a dairy farm). This lease is all I have available. Because I don't earn much by doing these leases, I have a streamlined process in which I do them:

email me at [email protected] if you are interested, and I will send you a map, and you go look at it at your convenience.

If you like what you see, you can write or phone me and I will get you a lease agreement.

I can't hold the lease for anybody until you come to look at it or come up with the money. So many people look at a lease before they buy, that it is a race to the finish line for your signature and check.

Sign the lease, send a check, and you are signed up for a 12 month contract. the lease comes with the following stipulations:

You have exclusive hunting rights for all game animals.

You have first refusal if you wish to renew your lease.

No use of ATVs other than to deploy tree stands or retrieve downed game.

Only commercially available tree stands allowed.

NO nails in trees, or cutting of shooting lanes.

No camping on property (other than the one with the cabin)

You can have as many people hunt on property as you wish, but all hunters must sign lease.

Peter Collin

www.pcforestry.com

Edited by Pete Collin
  • Like 1

I guess I had no idea leases were that much here in NY. I was looking for one in the Midwest a couple years ago and you could lease property that had been managed for quality deer for over a decade for that! Hunting isn't going to be feasible for most soon...even in NY. Wish it wasn't just about antlers and qdma...what I once thought was awesome will end up ruining the sport.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4

I guess I had no idea leases were that much here in NY. I was looking for one in the Midwest a couple years ago and you could lease property that had been managed for quality deer for over a decade for that! Hunting isn't going to be feasible for most soon...even in NY. Wish it wasn't just about antlers and qdma...what I once thought was awesome will end up ruining the sport.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have no idea what leases go for in that area because we've owned our hunting land in Rushford forever, but that's a great area for hunting. Quality and quantity of bucks with plenty of farmland around to help them fatten up.

36 minutes ago, EarlyRiser said:

I have no idea what leases go for in that area because we've owned our hunting land in Rushford forever, but that's a great area for hunting. Quality and quantity of bucks with plenty of farmland around to help them fatten up.

I looked at a few leases and it seems that about $10/acre is average 

10 hours ago, jimmac said:

Gives me a whole new perspective on "Foresters".

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

From my perspective, I have a longtime client who asked me to put up a hunting lease for sale at a price he specified.  This is a price that we have obtained in the past.  What is your perspective?

Pete - I know nothing about you but from your post I’d hire you to manage my woodlot in a heartbeat. 

For the the rest of you - Pete is managing this land for timber with hunting an afterthought. The contract stipulations are in place to grow quality high grade sawlogs. I’m sure his clients reap maximum potential return on their tree harvests. 

My perspective was that a forester manages a forest using scientific methods and other methods including logging to benefit the forest. Not brokering for the landowner in procurring a hunting lease at a profit to himself. You asked.
Understand that I come from an era where you could knock on a landowners door, engage in small talk and get permission to hunt those same 450 acres. Now you need to lay down what should be a down payment on purchasing that land. With the lack of public land, especially here in WNY, the leases are preventing the average Joe from being able to find a place to hunt his/her 2-3 times per season to try to put some venison in the freezer. And the state wonders why license sales continue to drop. How many retirees can afford $7000 for a chunk of woods to hunt for 6 weeks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmac said:

My perspective was that a forester manages a forest using scientific methods and other methods including logging to benefit the forest. Not brokering for the landowner in procurring a hunting lease at a profit to himself. You asked.
Understand that I come from an era where you could knock on a landowners door, engage in small talk and get permission to hunt those same 450 acres. Now you need to lay down what should be a down payment on purchasing that land. With the lack of public land, especially here in WNY, the leases are preventing the average Joe from being able to find a place to hunt his/her 2-3 times per season to try to put some venison in the freezer. And the state wonders why license sales continue to drop. How many retirees can afford $7000 for a chunk of woods to hunt for 6 weeks.

Or why bother paying that much when you could spend half that to go on a guided hunt and shoot a bigger buck

First, Pete is doing what he was hired to do so don't make him the bad guy.

Second, the farmer has every right to lease his property and if you don't like it buy your own land and see what it's like to pay taxes on that land and see how interested you are in letting people hunt for free when you struggle to make a living farming.

Third, you lease so you can hunt with friends and family... paying for guided hunts for 6-8 people is more than 7 grand. If you are retired and can't afford it tough!

Last, if we didn't put excessive value on a stupid set of horns and just hunted for deer like we did for generations leases wouldn't exist.

• Like 1

I agree with both sides on this. I am land owner and the taxes are ridiculous. What I don't agree is a place like this, I know the place and from the area, is places like this whine for damage permits but are practically close to the public while Joe blow who has 30 acres next door gets denied a doe permit. I know it's kinda a different topic but yes the system is broke and they wonder why license sales keep dropping