Rescue off oak orchard !?

That’s a little harsh Paul. One of the guys is a frequent poster on this site. Things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Is this the same guy in the Tracker that was heard boasting about "fishing in anything" and "going out when all the charters cancel"???

My assessment came from several first hand reports about his flippant attitude and lack of concern for conditions.

You have to be kidding me......totally heartless and classless. You must be perfect Paul

My thoughts go out to the family

Never said I was perfect. I'm also not "heartless or classless". But if this is the same guy that was boasting around the marinas about "fishing in anything" and "fishing when all the charters cancel" he was/is stupid.
Since the only other witness is dead I guess we will have to believe whatever he says but I, and several of my colleagues, witnessed firsthand some pretty ridiculous behavior from a certain individual this week. Taking a 19 or 20 foot boat 10-15 miles offshore with a hard south wind and then running it as hard as it was seen running clearly demonstrates arrogance and a lack of respect for what the lake can do. I'm also pretty sure this is the same boater that was out in the 4-6 footers last saturday when there was only 2 or 3 charters out and he was later heard boasting about "fishing in anything when all the charters cancelled".

All I did was call it as I see it. I may be wrong but maybe not. [emoji15]

Agree with whaler....unless you were on his boat, you are making a lot of assumptions. It’s easy for all of all to be a Monday morning quarterback but the bottom line is somebody lost their life.

I hope you don’t live in a glass house

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

Sad story.  Was out of Olcott that day.  Saw the rescue boat and helicopter running around.  Scary when you see the reality of situations like that.  

Unfortunate for the the family and people involved.  Feel for them. 

Will be a good reminder to double check and have all my safety gear in order and not buried in storage.  

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:38 PM, Paul Czarnecki said:

Never said I was perfect. I'm also not "heartless or classless". But if this is the same guy that was boasting around the marinas about "fishing in anything" and "fishing when all the charters cancel" he was/is stupid.
Since the only other witness is dead I guess we will have to believe whatever he says but I, and several of my colleagues, witnessed firsthand some pretty ridiculous behavior from a certain individual this week. Taking a 19 or 20 foot boat 10-15 miles offshore with a hard south wind and then running it as hard as it was seen running clearly demonstrates arrogance and a lack of respect for what the lake can do. I'm also pretty sure this is the same boater that was out in the 4-6 footers last saturday when there was only 2 or 3 charters out and he was later heard boasting about "fishing in anything when all the charters cancelled".

All I did was call it as I see it. I may be wrong but maybe not. emoji15.png

I wouldn't try to defend your comment. No matter what happened, someone lost their life and I'm positive they didn't deserve that. Everyone has done things on the water that weren't 100% safe and been lucky enough to come home. It didn't work that way for them.

Since the only other witness is dead... nice one man

Edited by WoodieBoater
  • Like 1

As an FAA Aviation Safety inspector I can tell you most aircraft accidents are a result of a number of things that line up to create the accident. I assume boating accidents are the same. Weather is a factor in many. But it could also include equipment failure, inexperience or lack of skill, or possibly a catastrophic failure. We look at the Man, the Machine, and the Environment. I hope we can be provided with conclusion of the investigation results for this one as well as last year's tragic loss where apparently the boater was trapped while trying to get life jackets as his boat quickly sank. Knowing what happened is important for prevention.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

This is very tragic and my prayers go out to all involved and there family's. 

I hope we do find out what happened. I was following the accident that happened last year around this time and never did here what happened to that boat to cause it to sink so quickly???  

good luck to all my LOU friends and my god watch over us the rest of the season..  

• Like 2

In Paul's s defense this guy is wreckless! A week ago we had a NE blow. Most guys cancelled their charters. I was out fishing the inside (100-140') in 3-5' waves. We got our dozen and decided to clean fish in the Creek because it was snotty out there, and getting worse. While I'm cleaning fish this guy passes me and brags about fishing the 31N line that morning. Mind you.... He was in an open bow Tracker fishing boat by himself. A week later this happens.....

• Like 2

I will defend paul. Dont brag that you are a better guy on the water and will fish in anything. That is the reason we dont go out in certain conditions. Safety 1st and no lives will be lost. Im will to bet he 1/4 the waves and took them over the back of the boat. Small beam got caught inbetween waves with the slow speed and took the boat down. No fish is worth it on rough days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I'm going to remind some of you that you gave me a rasher last spring when I was critical of three guys in an open aluminum 14 or 15 foot length boat running out of the Genny and down to the bay, no life jackets on in the pix.  The big word then was watch the weather, and don't go out when it is predicted to be snotty, and you are fine. I'm reading that the forecast was 1-3 footers and then calming down, but the Big O changes VERY quickly, and the weatherman is not known for great accuracy.  Maybe a fifteen foot whaler that would float after being cut in half is fine and safe in a big blow or when hit by rogue waves, open aluminum maybe a little less so.  Part of why I don’t go out anymore is the queezy feeling that comes from sitting in a 19 foot Starcraft 3 miles out and seeing wave tops above me in every direction on a day that was supposed to stay 1 to 3.   And it was 1 to 3 up until about 10 minutes before we pulled that day.  

• Like 1

In Paul's s defense this guy is wreckless! A week ago we had a NE blow. Most guys cancelled their charters. I was out fishing the inside (100-140') in 3-5' waves. We got our dozen and decided to clean fish in the Creek because it was snotty out there, and getting worse. While I'm cleaning fish this guy passes me and brags about fishing the 31N line that morning. Mind you.... He was in an open bow Tracker fishing boat by himself. A week later this happens.....
A quote from Wicked Tuna Outer Banks there's young fisherman there's old fisherman but there's not too many old bold fisherman my heart and prayer still goes out for the deceased man and the survivor.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'll 2nd that...I cannot tell you how many times I've rolled up the creek first thing in the the morning with the bigger boats passed the breakwall and drove rite around it and back down the creek..in a way it kinda hurts your pride watching them motor right on by and head for the fish but I respect the people who are on my boat and would rather live to fish another day.... with that being said if someone wants to take risks on their own boat with their own life at stake that's one thing but when it comes to others who are trusting you to keep them safe on your boat whether your recreational fishing or chartering in my opinion no risks should be taken period.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

I'll 2nd that...I cannot tell you how many times I've rolled up the creek first thing in the the morning with the bigger boats passed the breakwall and drove rite around it and back down the creek..in a way it kinda hurts your pride watching them motor right on by and head for the fish but I respect the people who are on my boat and would rather live to fish another day.... with that being said if someone wants to take risks on their own boat with their own life at stake that's one thing but when it comes to others who are trusting you to keep them safe on your boat whether your recreational fishing or chartering in my opinion no risks should be taken period.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

And THAT is what ticked me off about this whole situation. Everyone was quick to jump on me for being callous and "heartless" but to me that was a needless death. Accident or not. It was no accident they were there.
I'm out!

“Stupid and arrogant” will never be anything but callous. As far as I’m concerned anyone that ventures out in a boat with zero swamped capacity is taking a risk. I won’t however lower myself to name calling and judging others.
I’m sure with a little more time or forethought you could have picked better words, however based on your posts it’s obvious and regrettable that you are clearly standing by them.

• Like 5

Fully agree with whaler. I'm sure there's people reading here that knew one or both of the people involved. God forbid if they're family. And the last thing they want to hear is that it was stupidity or arrogance that killed someone. Use your brain... Try to imagine it being you... Or your old man... or your friend that was dead.. keep your accusations to yourself. And learn something from the accident. There's no need to point fingers regardless of weather poor judgement was involved. I'm sure the captain of the boat is beating himself up plenty enough without your comments. And the other guy is dead. 

• Like 5

There's more info from a good friend of the captain in the next section (fish reports). Maybe post your good,  bad,and stupid comments over there. Need all the info first then, you can Monday morning quarterback.

• Like 1

“Stupid and arrogant” will never be anything but callous. As far as I’m concerned anyone that ventures out in a boat with zero swamped capacity is taking a risk. I won’t however lower myself to name calling and judging others.
I’m sure with a little more time or forethought you could have picked better words, however based on your posts it’s obvious and regrettable that you are clearly standing by them.

100% agree with Whaler.....best post of the thread

For you all judging this poor man and his decisions, I hope and pray that you never have a loved one die from texting while driving, while rock climbing the Grand Canyon, a kid drown in your swimming pool, etc etc. and then have everyone pile on and call you stupid and arrogant while you are grieving

Horrible choice of words indeed, but trying to justify them twice is even worse

• Like 4

We've all pushed the edge of what we should do more times than we care to admit. Who here hasn't gone out in weather that you were totally uncomfortable with the entire time out there. But you made it back so you put it aside. Who hasn't driven a car after a few drinks...and got away with it and never hurt anyone. Especially when we were young and dumb. Glass houses. The only difference here is something went horribly wrong, could have happened to any of us. Condolences to both families during a very difficult time.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2