Rescue off oak orchard !?

34 minutes ago, bluewater1861 said:

In Pauls defense??????? Really??? thats just sickening and speaks volumes

Yup, I am defending his response. I know this becasue I saw what this guy fished in a week prior as he bragged about being out there. Stupidity and arrogance got someone killed this weekend, but you guys keep defending the boat owner. You guys sound like those libtards who get butt hurt over everything. For Christ sakes this guys poor judgement cost someone their life!

• Like 3

Sad for all involved and prayers to the families. I do have a question if anyone can answer. I fish lake o several times a year and I know boat traffic especially that far out is sometimes few and far between.  My question is how did anyone know to look for them?  It seems like it happened so quickly,  were they able to get a distress call out?  In windy and wavey conditions it's hard enough to spot anybody in the water.  

11 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

You guys sound like those libtards who get butt hurt over everything.

You sound like an obnoxious heartless  p rick that could care less that someone passed in a boating accident.

I don't see where anyone is defending the boat owner. They have sympathy for the deceased. I guess you don't captain.

Hop

It is unfortunate that this thread has taken such a "polarized" path when the actual reality of the situation is that someone has lost their life and a family has been devastated by that fact. Whether the perceived attitude of the involved fishermen was one of overconfidence, "arrogance", or perceived "stupidity"by others is irrelevant at this point. The public information on this incident seems scant thus far so the potential learning benefit is unknown and that is what should be focused on...whether we can learn something specific from the situation that might enable others to avoid a similar fate other than "Don't go out there in rough water". That is what should be sought after here rather than making assumptions and casting blame regardless of one's perception of the situation in the absence of valid concrete information. The basic fact remains that anyone can get into trouble out there including charter captains - and "Mother Nature hath no fury as a woman scorned" and Lake Ontario is no exception- no matter what sized boat,or the experience of the operator; she is unforgiving of mistakes.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 9

Its unfortunate when things like this happen. It however makes everyone sit back and look at the big picture. We all double check our vessels , safety equip and the weather forecast before heading out. In the fire service when there is a line of duty death, we look at the situation in depth, no matter where it happened . Critique it not for judgment or finger pointing but as a learning experience for next time. I saw this Sunday strong south winds backing west . My game plan was to venture out to 300-400 and park there , however with a semi rookie crew that was planned to go I opted to keep my 21fter on the trailer and do yardwork and clean the boat (finding more spoons I bought and hid from the wife too lol) I was bummed but I have 2 little girls that depend on me , lets all just take it as a warning to double check our gear and be cautious. Prayers to the family . Tight lines......

Edited by blueghost1
  • Like 1

He challenged the lake and lost . It's very unforgiving 

His responsibility for safety of his crew bottom line . Not a aaccidet when you put yourself and others in harm's way . That being said, most of us have done similar . 

My condolences. 

I remember a thread on here asking basically asking what wave height wouldn't you fish in a lot of people posted " the bigger the waves the bigger the fish" I don't believe in that mentality but to each their own. If this person was bragging about fishing when the charter captains won't then I would say he was willing to push it when others wouldn't. Anyone that has spent time on this lake knows it can go from " this isn't too bad to holy ****" quick. I know I have pulled around the break wall and said to myself " you overstayed your welcome" and was happy to be back safe. Boating safety is the same as gun safety after you pull the trigger you can't put it back in the chamber. A man lost his life and everyone can learn from this. Be safe out there and tight lines to all.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Hopkinz said:

You sound like an obnoxious heartless  p rick that could care less that someone passed in a boating accident.

I don't see where anyone is defending the boat owner. They have sympathy for the deceased. I guess you don't captain.

Hop

You're wrong. I'm aggravated that wreckless behavior took someones life. I watched the wife get out of the cop car and proceed to cry and scream when they told her the bad news. That was heart breaking, and when I found out whos boat it was I just shook my head given my earlier encounter with him.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Charlie P said:

I remember a thread on here asking basically asking what wave height wouldn't you fish in a lot of people posted " the bigger the waves the bigger the fish" I don't believe in that mentality but to each their own. If this person was bragging about fishing when the charter captains won't then I would say he was willing to push it when others wouldn't. Anyone that has spent time on this lake knows it can go from " this isn't too bad to holy ****" quick. I know I have pulled around the break wall and said to myself " you overstayed your welcome" and was happy to be back safe. Boating safety is the same as gun safety after you pull the trigger you can't put it back in the chamber. A man lost his life and everyone can learn from this. Be safe out there and tight lines to all.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Lake Ontario United mobile app

exactly....never get too comfortable . I wont challenge it. Fishing in choppy water is a pia but if I have to question if my boat can take it safely , its not worth it. I look at it and think If I were to lose power, wrap wire in the prop etc could I be safe until help arrived. If I feel the answer is no, Im staying home. Have I fished in nasty holy crap weather? Yes but I have gotten more cautious especially if my 9yr old is with me. What happened is a gamble no one should make

• Like 1

I ran into a guy once years ago, prob around 30yrs old on Sodus.  Said he is the first one on the ice every year and the last one off. Falls through at least once a year and fishes with a life jacket . He  also stated that he is not a p***y and wont get blown off the lake in his 19ft starcraft bc he knows what hes doing. I remember thinking what an a**hat and he will be in the papers someday. Someone elses life was taken here by similar pride . That guy I met years ago was tempting his own fate not anyone elses ....guess what I am saying is take this as a lesson and I hope the same mistake doesn't happen again

• Like 1

It is unfortunate that this thread has taken such a "polarized" path when the actual reality of the situation is that someone has lost their life and a family has been devastated by that fact. Whether the perceived attitude of the involved fishermen was one of overconfidence, "arrogance", or perceived "stupidity"by others is irrelevant at this point. The public information on this incident seems scant thus far so the potential learning benefit is unknown and that is what should be focused on...whether we can learn something specific from the situation that might enable others to avoid a similar fate other than "Don't go out there in rough water". That is what should be sought after here rather than making assumptions and casting blame regardless of one's perception of the situation in the absence of valid concrete information. The basic fact remains that anyone can get into trouble out there including charter captains - and "Mother Nature hath no fury as a woman scorned" and Lake Ontario is no exception- no matter what sized boat,or the experience of the operator; she is unforgiving of mistakes.
Best post in the thread.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

On August 27, 2018 at 6:08 PM, DoubleTrouble1 said:

I'll 2nd that...I cannot tell you how many times I've rolled up the creek first thing in the the morning with the bigger boats passed the breakwall and drove rite around it and back down the creek..in a way it kinda hurts your pride watching them motor right on by and head for the fish but I respect the people who are on my boat and would rather live to fish another day.... with that being said if someone wants to take risks on their own boat with their own life at stake that's one thing but when it comes to others who are trusting you to keep them safe on your boat whether your recreational fishing or chartering in my opinion no risks should be taken period.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2 on this. This was a tragedy in that a life was lost for no reason other than really really bad judgement and I agree with stupidity. Maybe at one time we've all done things that we shouldn't but no matter how you put it they were stupid except we lived for another day and hopefully learned. More than once I've seen boats that had no business being out as we were running back in. The sad thing is it will happen again just a matter of when. No fish or anything for that matter is worth it. Be safe today so you can fish tomorrow.  

• Like 1

I used to be a frequent flier on this site, family, work, and plain old runnin my ass off has limited my time here. This topic has really struck a nerve with me since first hearing/piecing it together this past weekend. This is one weekend I was away from the lake but via social media, word travels fast.I knew the operator of the vessel and had communicated with him frequently. I DID think he was a risk taker. He was adventurous with his vessel of its size. Many a time when I opted to stay close to shore for safety, he was another 6-8 miles north of me...alone.

I did not hear of the boasting or bragging from the individual as others have stated, but many a time I was blown away that he was on the water when i was on land. There are reputable Capts that have stated their piece here. To those that have belittled them, I am sure that they know more to the story than you do.

Bottom line... know your limits!! Don't let pride/drive get in the way of those limits!! As the operator, you are ultimately responsible for those aboard your vessel!! 

• Like 1

I pick and choose my days on Lake Ontario.  I will not put my crew and myself in jeopardy and go out in stuff my vessel can't handle.  This past Saturday, I knew the offshore bite was on fire yet we took the safe route and stayed inside. 

We watched a guy in a little fish & ski out in front of Olcott on Saturday.  We were laughing because he was basically fishing in all 4 directions at once because he had NO CONTROL over that vessel.  The building south wind was eating his lunch.  And we were in about 120 feet of water.

Well, I'm not laughing now.  That guy had his family on that boat, including 2 small kids.

It just isn't worth it.

We have a boat built for the Florida Keys, and we opt for the golf course on MANY days when smaller boats are heading out.

God bless and keep those who have used poor judgment and paid so dearly for it.

Here is the link for a go fund me page to help the family of the deceased, Carl Hazel. if you would like to donate to the family. Because, it had been shared on social media and wouldn’t take much to guess, the operator was John Kelley. I’ve talked to him several times since this tragedy. When I get his permission, I’ll post the details of the accident so we all can learn. For those of you who hold judgement based on previous conversations or experiences, you can be assured this was not the case on Saturday. Again, once I get his permission, I’ll pass along the details. At the end of the day, 2 families will never be the same and changed forever, in a blink of an eye. If you can find a few extra dollars to donate to Carl’s family please do.

https://www.gofundme.com/carl-hazel-memorial-fund

Thank you,
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

This was a difficult thread to read. Being a newer operator on Lake O I’ll say this opened my eyes and I immediately rearranged my boat to make life saving devices more reachable in the tragic event things turn bad. I’ve always been conservative with the weather though since my boat is smaller. Even though there’s money involved in tournaments, competitive fishing is not worth lives. There’s always tomorrow or next year or whatever. RIP Mr. Hazel, and though I didn’t know him, I do hope that Mr. Kelley finds the ability to fish again when he’s ready if he chooses. 

Be safe out there.

• Like 1

This was a difficult thread to read. Being a newer operator on Lake O I’ll say this opened my eyes and I immediately rearranged my boat to make life saving devices more reachable in the tragic event things turn bad. I’ve always been conservative with the weather though since my boat is smaller. Even though there’s money involved in tournaments, competitive fishing is not worth lives. There’s always tomorrow or next year or whatever. RIP Mr. Hazel, and though I didn’t know him, I do hope that Mr. Kelley finds the ability to fish again when he’s ready if he chooses. 

Be safe out there.

Offshore IV, I’m glad that you were able to take something from this and protect yourself and your crew. When I was doing safety boardings it frustrated me when asked about life jackets to life rafts, the owner or captain would say they didn’t have room to have them reachable above deck. Complacency kills and we all think it won’t happen to us. Even though I’m a retired coastie, long time boat handler, and captain, I used to bust a friend’s balls (very inexperienced boater and has a smaller boat) because he would always wear an inflatable vest. After this tragedy, I apologised to him. Although, I’m a retired coastie, over 30 years boating experience and been on hundreds of search and rescue missions, I too learned a couple of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app