Boat Capsized off Point Breeze

Read this on the WHAM website.  One fisherman lost and one rescued.  9 miles from shore near Point Breeze.  Boat took on lots of water in 5-7' waves and capsized.  The fisherman were in the water for 2-3 hours.  Canadian freighter and a couple of fisherman from Ohio rescued the one fella and recovered the second fella.  Similar instance with no fatalities happened here a few weeks ago out of Hughes.  Big water and the 4 guys in the  boat and it took on water and Pultneyville fire and rescue towed the boat in and Wayne County sheriffs brought the 4 guys in.  The boat if I recall was a Grady White and water up over the gunwales but it didn't sink.  I know we have all been out in snotty conditions and probably have fished when we really shouldn't have.  Sure is unforgiving when you F up.  Stay safe.  

• Like 2

Feel sorry for those involved and obviously the family and friends.

I was out there yesterday in about 400 feet of water, wind and waves picked up for a time

Was staying at  Ernst which was the base for the first responders.

Read this on the WHAM website.  One fisherman lost and one rescued.  9 miles from shore near Point Breeze.  Boat took on lots of water in 5-7' waves and capsized.  The fisherman were in the water for 2-3 hours.  Canadian freighter and a couple of fisherman from Ohio rescued the one fella and recovered the second fella.  Similar instance with no fatalities happened here a few weeks ago out of Hughes.  Big water and the 4 guys in the  boat and it took on water and Pultneyville fire and rescue towed the boat in and Wayne County sheriffs brought the 4 guys in.  The boat if I recall was a Grady White and water up over the gunwales but it didn't sink.  I know we have all been out in snotty conditions and probably have fished when we really shouldn't have.  Sure is unforgiving when you F up.  Stay safe.  
Very sad. Every time I see people saying " bigger the waves the bigger the fish" I cringe. Just not worth it for me, I fish out of 22 ft Islander so I'm more limited then some others with bigger boats, but I don't like fishing in the big stuff.

Heart goes out to the family.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

The captain was a friend of mine. He's having a hard time coping with the loss of his friend. Water got rough fast decided to pack up and head closer to shore to avoid the Southwind when they turned the boat took three close waves over the Bow. Boat filled up so fast they barely had time to get their life jackets on before it sank under their feet. It's very sad. The big water can kick up fast he was a very seasoned fisherman who fished every weekend even during the week most weeks. He may never fish again now

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Very very sorry to hear of this. Tragedy for sure. What size boat were they fishing in?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

From reading the post on Lou it was a tracker targa witch is a open bow boat, v-19 would be the biggest they make . The post above said took 3 waves over the bow and sunk . I Wonder if the bow cover was on . My prayers go out to the deceased family and the Survivor I hope the Survivor can come to terms and go back to fishing again I'd be lost if I couldn't go fishing.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Stacking waves are dangerous and they happen without a lot of warning. I have seen them go 1.5 to double the normal set. A 4 foot wave suddenly becomes 7 or 8 and usually settles once, then rears up and curls over in a frothing rush. Had one once at the stern of my heavy fiberglass center console with the integral stern drive. It curled over the motors, into the well and over the stern cap. 3 to 4 inches of water in the deck area. Scuppers handled it, but that was enough of that. It was one of 2 waves that just seemed to appear from nothing. Heaped up and rogue. FX Shawn was fishing with me and that was out of golden hills that day. Very sad for these two men, and wish that it wasn't the tragedy it was.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tragedy for sure, prayer to the family...there needs to be a better system to gage wave height and conditions to prevent this from happening again. So many times I have looked at a report of lake conditions only to be surprised when I actually got out there that it was wrong. With the technology we have today you should be able to know at least accurate  real time conditions across the lake, .,,just my 2 cents...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, seeyawader said:

Tragedy for sure, prayer to the family...there needs to be a better system to gage wave height and conditions to prevent this from happening again. So many times I have looked at a report of lake conditions only to be surprised when I actually got out there that it was wrong. With the technology we have today you should be able to know at least accurate  real time conditions across the lake, .,,just my 2 cents...

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

just keep in mind if the buoy shows 1.5ft waves, its really 3ft.  that's the rise from sea level, not the trough of the wave. Always x2 and I always add 10mph to the wind when planning. South wind, small boat best bet stay shallower. Turn before it gets uncomfortable .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, seeyawader said:

When the forecast was calling for 15-25 out of the South, the light bulb should have came on and these guys should not have been in 500' of water in a small boat. 

• Like 1