Tie bar system for kicker motor

My new 9.9 Pro kicker should be here any day. I want to tie it in to my new 150 four stroke on my Crestliner Commander. My dealer mentioned something to me about a Mercury tie bar system but it was relatively new and he didn't know much about it. What do you guys recommend for tying the two Motors together. I want to put a Lowrance autopilot on the main motor over the winter so what kicker autopilot is out of the question. As that would steer both Motors were the tie bar system. Unless you guys have other ideas.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Seastar makes a really nice (read:expensive) tie bar kit that I was looking at but I ended up going with just the cheap threaded rod type setup with little ball mounts on the front of the kicker and the main which I think cost me like 40 bucks and it works well. Can be removed in seconds, I can't remember who made it. I also have the Merc 150 with hydraulic steering on a Crestliner

Seastar makes a really nice (read:expensive) tie bar kit that I was looking at but I ended up going with just the cheap threaded rod type setup with little ball mounts on the front of the kicker and the main which I think cost me like 40 bucks and it works well. Can be removed in seconds, I can't remember who made it. I also have the Merc 150 with hydraulic steering on a Crestliner
If possible could you please send me a picture of your setup. That's the tie bar I want to use but I can't figure out how it would go on the hydraulic arm. Thank you

Yes exactly the post on the ball fits right through those pre-drilled holes on the front and then there's an adjustable bracket that it comes with to go to the kicker which also aligned with two pre-drilled holes in the carry handle. I believe it is the Panther, just make sure you get the stainless

Yeah no worries. I don't hesitate to drop big bucks when it's justified, for example my traxstech riggers, but if there's a cheaper and less complicated viable option I'm all for it.

To the OP...do you plan to use the lowrance autopilot on the big motor steering but plan to be able to use it with the kicker by it being tied to the big motor? Thanks im considering something similar for next year instead of just the bow mount TM setup. I have not looked int the engine autopilot options yet though

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

To the OP...do you plan to use the lowrance autopilot on the big motor steering but plan to be able to use it with the kicker by it being tied to the big motor? Thanks im considering something similar for next year instead of just the bow mount TM setup. I have not looked int the engine autopilot options yet though

That is exactly right. I have a Lowrance Elite 9 TI . Apparently that is compatible with the Lowrance Outboard autopilot hydraulic steering kit. It's about a thousand bucks for the kit. It also looks very easy to install. I have no reason to believe why that wouldn't work

• Like 1

That is exactly right. I have a Lowrance Elite 9 TI . Apparently that is compatible with the Lowrance Outboard autopilot hydraulic steering kit. It's about a thousand bucks for the kit. It also looks very easy to install. I have no reason to believe why that wouldn't work

You might want to confirm that, I think you need the HDS models to control the autopilot Lowrance makes. I think the elite can only read data via NEMA 2000 wiring. Maybe someone can confirm if they have been able to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Frogger said:

You might want to confirm that, I think you need the HDS models to control the autopilot Lowrance makes. I think the elite can only read data via NEMA 2000 wiring. Maybe someone can confirm if they have been able to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

👍👍👍I have the elite 7ti and I believe it will operate a bow mount trolling motor guide Xi5 or something but not the tr1 Gold or even the lowrance auto pilot. I went with the python auto steer with the Itroll has throttle controll and all kinds of auto turns with speed up and slowbown. To numerous to mention. I love it!!

• Like 1

I'm not the OP but this is the best way. You need the Big motor in the water for it's additional rudder action. Otherwise, in rough water you will not have adequate control. From experience.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]I have the elite 7ti and I believe it will operate a bow mount trolling motor guide Xi5 or something but not the tr1 Gold or even the lowrance auto pilot. I went with the python auto steer with the Itroll has throttle controll and all kinds of auto turns with speed up and slowbown. To numerous to mention. I love it!!
You are right I contact Lowrance. The elite TI is only compatible with the bow mount motor. Any recommendations for another autopilot for the main motor

I installed the lowrance outboard autopilot in my boat last year. Works great. I had to buy the HDS to control it. My Elite 4 chirp apparently would not work. So I would be careful and make sure. My only concern is if either ever break down, I hear lowrance has no repair.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run a 15hp Merc. If it won't hold course with the python auto steer which has the fastest full left to right swing which I can boost throttle to correct then I'm pulling rods and headed to a more fishable situation or calling it a day. After the last 2 year's of people passing due to inclement weather there is no fish worth someone's life or mine. This is JMO. As you get older different things seem to be more important in life as when I was younger.