Speed and temp probe

I’m getting incorrect readings from my depth raider due to blow back I believe.  What size ball do you guys run on your probe side rigger. I am running 8lb ball with back fin right now. I tried a fish type 8lb and was worse. Thank you in advance for you advice. I just got my probe and was very excited to catch a boat load. Lol I caught more with out it. I believe when I get a heavyweight I can run some consistent speeds. 

I’m getting incorrect readings from my depth raider due to blow back I believe.  What size ball do you guys run on your probe side rigger. I am running 8lb ball with back fin right now. I tried a fish type 8lb and was worse. Thank you in advance for you advice. I just got my probe and was very excited to catch a boat load. Lol I caught more with out it. I believe when I get a heavyweight I can run some consistent speeds. 

IMHO. 8# is too light for fishing Lake O. The depths you need to reach and the currents you contend with need a lot more weight. I personally have gone to 16 # torpedoes and am very happy with their performance I would add that you should stay away from pancake weights. They will give you tangles every time

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My downrigger balls are 13lb torpedo weights and I have a fishhawk X4D. Downrigger read 113' down with blow back X4D read 88'. If that is with 13's I would say your blow back with 8 lb would be quite a bit more. No expert here just my thoughts.   

1 hour ago, Pj Weber said:

My downrigger balls are 13lb torpedo weights and I have a fishhawk X4D. Downrigger read 113' down with blow back X4D read 88'. If that is with 13's I would say your blow back with 8 lb would be quite a bit more. No expert here just my thoughts.   

The blow back is really bad with the 8lbs. It will read 2.3 and when I kick it in neutral and the ball falls back to 90degrees the speed comes up. Lol

If you use either the shark type or torpedo weights you can usually get away with 10 lb weights if your speed isn't real fast. The current was pretty bad out there yesterday  with a down speed reaching 3.3 sometimes while surface speed 1.9 or 2.0 but you can often adjust things by trolling diagonally and reducing your surface speed.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scotch and sodus said:

The blow back is really bad with the 8lbs. It will read 2.3 and when I kick it in neutral and the ball falls back to 90degrees the speed comes up. Lol

I totally agree with Sk8man  I used 12 # finned cannonballs for a long time . There where times (depending on speed and down currents) when I had 150 ft of cable out to reach 110 ft . I switched to 16 # torpedoes from Harvey and have never been happier

• Like 1