Kicker won't hold trolling speed

stinger

HELP!    Kicker doesn’t hold trolling speed

2006 Mercury 9.9 Four stroke, tiller short shaft (I bought new)
1,100 hours on engine
equipped with Troll Master Pro (2006 model)     

Problem: engine will not hold set trolling speed.

If I set it at say 2.0 mph GPS it will eventually slow down to 1.5-1.7 +.   I hit the MFT (momentary full throttle) button for a split second and the engine returns to initial setting, 2.0 mph for a few minutes and then slowly drops off to the slower speed.    Engine runs smooth at all speeds including trolling. No missing or hesitating.

At different times to tried to remedy this by making these changes.
1) replaced the servo for the Troll Master throttle control
2) upgraded the linkage from the servo to the throttle
3) changed spark plugs
and 
4) most recently rebuilt the carburetor last week

Also the same problem exists if I set the speed with the tiller and lock it there with the friction knob.

Fuel comes from the same tank as the main engine going thru a fuel/water separator filter and splits from there going to each engine. Fuel is treated throughout the season with StaBil Marine stabilizer year around. I even siphon a couple quarts of gas out of the bottom of the fuel tank every spring to be sure there isn’t any water or jell in it from winter storage.

There doesn’t seem to be a change in how the engine trolls with any of these attempts to fix it. 

I’m hoping someone out there is familiar with this problem and knows the remedy for it.    

Thanks

Thanks for the feed back.

Checking the fuel supply line is easy enough to do. I have a portable tank that I can hook up on my next trip and see if that clears it up.

Never thought about a timing belt because the engine run fine at other RPMs. The Merc 9.9 is a black Tohatsu. My Dealer is Snake Creek Marine in Conklin Forks PA and they got wiped out  in the flash floods back on August 14th so I was hesitant to call them about this problem. I'll do a little looking into replacing the timing belt on my own if they aren't back up and running yet. Any tips there would be appreciated.

Thanks again

• Like 1