Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Two Magoos

New to Forum- need some advise for downriggers

Recommended Posts

Hi all- found this site and it looked interesting to me. I have a 2017 Lund Rebel XS Sport 1750 that I have been enjoying this summer. My goal here is to share knowledge that I have and gain some from the true experts as well so we all can have better fishing experiences.

 

I am new to trolling out on the lake as I used to fish the creeks and lower Niagara for Salmon, Steelies, and everything else.

 

I fish out of Olcott and Wilson.

 

Ive been using a dipsy set up with flasher/fly combo on one and a Magnum on the other. Last week managed to bring in a 20 lb’ish steelie. My son had a nice King on that got away- live and learn! 

 

So here is my rookie question for my type of boat- I havent installed a downrigger setup yet partially for fear of not knowing what to get and also because I was learning with the dipsy’s- baby steps! For a boat my size w/the lund track system what would be the best (not to break the bank) mounting bracket for a cannon or scotty set up? 

 

Thanks to all!!!

Dave

 

Edited by Two Magoos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the cisco mounts for lunds are nice. i wish i would have used them on my lund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shawn393 said:

the cisco mounts for lunds are nice. i wish i would have used them on my lund

Thanks Shawn, I ran across the Ciscos a few weeks back. They all had great reviews and looks sturdy. They have 45 degree and 90 degrees ones so I would have to make sure I am getting the correct mate to my track. It also appears for the Cannons you need an adapter plate with them. Looks like I am giving them a call! Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no problem. yes the cisco's are sturdy.they lock into the sport track and rest on the gunnels. the mounts i bought from lund lock into the sport track and sit above the gunnel so with a long boom down rigger it put a lot of stress on that sport track. i ended up making some support brackets to give it more strength 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi all- found this site and it looked interesting to me. I have a 2017 Lund Rebel XS Sport 1750 that I have been enjoying this summer. My goal here is to share knowledge that I have and gain some from the true experts as well so we all can have better fishing experiences.
 
I am new to trolling out on the lake as I used to fish the creeks and lower Niagara for Salmon, Steelies, and everything else.
 
I fish out of Olcott and Wilson.
 
Ive been using a dipsy set up with flasher/fly combo on one and a Magnum on the other. Last week managed to bring in a 20 lb’ish steelie. My son had a nice King on that got away- live and learn! 
 
So here is my rookie question for my type of boat- I havent installed a downrigger setup yet partially for fear of not knowing what to get and also because I was learning with the dipsy’s- baby steps! For a boat my size w/the lund track system what would be the best (not to break the bank) mounting bracket for a cannon or scotty set up? 
 
Thanks to all!!!
Dave
 
I just bought a Lund and it had two Downrigger Brackets that slide into Sport Track and have a set Screw on outside, it also has Canon Swivel Mounts on Bracket, I took them off and will not be using them for two Reasons, the first reason is I am going to be using Traxtech tracks the full length of my Boat, and the Second reason is I have Scotty Downrigger and the Mounts are for Canon Downriggers, if you are interested I can sell you these at a Fair Price? Pm Me if interested if not that's ok too, just thought I'd throw it out thereIMG_20180828_125543214.jpgIMG_20180828_125530395.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shawn393 said:

no problem. yes the cisco's are sturdy.they lock into the sport track and rest on the gunnels. the mounts i bought from lund lock into the sport track and sit above the gunnel so with a long boom down rigger it put a lot of stress on that sport track. i ended up making some support brackets to give it more strength 

Thats excellent to know- hopefully yours is nice and sturdy now- Thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PrtyMrty said:

I just bought a Lund and it had two Downrigger Brackets that slide into Sport Track and have a set Screw on outside, it also has Canon Swivel Mounts on Bracket, I took them off and will not be using them for two Reasons, the first reason is I am going to be using Traxtech tracks the full length of my Boat, and the Second reason is I have Scotty Downrigger and the Mounts are for Canon Downriggers, if you are interested I can sell you these at a Fair Price? Pm Me if interested if not that's ok too, just thought I'd throw it out thereIMG_20180828_125543214.jpgIMG_20180828_125530395.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

Thats is nice to have a full track system im sure it will be great for ya. I am not sure if I would want/need a swivel bracket. I was really leaning towards runnin 2 downriggers aft area pointed straight back and 2 dipsies more forward angled outbpard. I will certainly let you know if I change my mind and thank you for asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get the swivels. In Certain currents you may want to swing one out away from the motor if not both out all the time.

I have two manual scotty down riggers with black realeses, with a stacker blacks release and cannon down temp and speed for sale 300. I upgraded to electric and fish hawk.


Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My boat is very similar to yours and last year i had my riggers of the back, straight out. I hated it because it crowded the back of the boat when netting a fish. This year i moved them toward the front about 2', and have them angled at a 45 from directly back.

 

IMG_1637.thumb.JPG.f73f8ec119d7ef36c9d5e68143e4816d.JPGHere is my setup. You can see the old marine plywood where they used to be. Now they are on a track. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Offshore IV said:

My boat is very similar to yours and last year i had my riggers of the back, straight out. I hated it because it crowded the back of the boat when netting a fish. This year i moved them toward the front about 2', and have them angled at a 45 from directly back.

 

IMG_1637.thumb.JPG.f73f8ec119d7ef36c9d5e68143e4816d.JPGHere is my setup. You can see the old marine plywood where they used to be. Now they are on a track. Good luck!

That is a great set up- I think that is how I will do it! Hope your slayin’ em out there. Thanks- much appreciated!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! We are doing better than average for sure. So you know, on that track you can see my two rod pods. The one closest to the boat is a planer board rod (which i use a tadpole diver in conjunction with, getting me down ~30', the middle pod holds a dipsey rod on setting 2, then my riggers. I've not had any tangle problems. 

 

Good luck to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...