Only the 4th time up this season in the new boat.  Conditions were difficult to manage but still boated a three man limit.  All fish 15-20lb class besides a couple shorts.  Nothing shallow.  All over 350-450 FOW.  Managed to break off two rigger balls somehow!?  Have to think the 4’ waves added some stress to the lines?  Not sure but still managed multiple fish after running wire dipsies at 300.  I’ve got a 18’ G3 FS.  Not by any means a wave cutter but good enough to get out deep safely!  I could use some advice on stacking rigger lines.  Every time I try I end up in a tangle or fish strikes the down rod and runs into the stacker.  Any advice on feet of separation from down rod to stacker depth and difference in distance back from the rigger line? I’d like to start picking up a steelie or some Browns here or there too.  Any advice is appreciated.  

58741B6F-B92C-41F8-BB4C-7FEEF2CACBD7.png

Learn to run fixed cheaters....easier than stacking.  If you are going to try stacking then you need the rod holders on the downrigger pointing in opposite directions so as the line is pulled from the release, there is a slight movement away from center.  Ultimately, the fish will dictate tangles with stackers depending on which they move once feeling the hook.  Longer leads on the down line, shorter on the higher stacked lines.  I would rather see you go wider with your additional rods on your sized boat (copper/leadcore off boards or more divers).  

Thanks Gill...

I do have rod holders positioned in a way that allows me to create good separation between the down rod and any subsequent stackers.  When researching stackers I read a post from a Pac NW angler and he suggested running the down rod with a shorter lead, then running the stacker about 10-15 longer.  You're recommendation is the opposite.  That could be why I'm having issues!  If I am to run stackers how close to the down rod should I run them?  Right now, to alleviate the possibility of tangles I've been separating by 20-40'.  But feel like I'm compromising the bite by presenting lures out of the hot zone.  If I want to run the stacker closer, how far back should I set the down rod, and how far back should I set the stacker to get more bites?

I agree with Gill-T. Was running stackers a bit and then tried fixed sliders. I won’t stack again. Fixed sliders are much simpler to deploy and you free up two rods to use and tangle elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I tried the whole stacking thing and it never worked for me. I use sliders when running spoons on my down riggers but I have a 18ft boat as well two down riggers two divers and a copper on each side is plenty to keep up with

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

IMG_7538.JPG

I stack all the time - 10 ft apart - bottom lead about 15-20 ft from release and top one about 30-35 ft from release.
I do have the bottom 9ft rod angled way over to pull away from rigger when bit. When bottom line gets bit I’ll often pull the top line immediately anyway since I’ll have to pull it to re-rig after landing bottom line...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Sennac.  Thats similar to what I am currently running now.  I'm hesitant to run the lines that close though as the big pro troll tends to hang up and cross into the stacker line.  I'm going to try Gills recommendation and run the bottom line further away from the clip than the stacker.  That might allow me to run the stacker closer to the ball and thermocline without getting tangled up.  

Fixed cheaters can be separated by as little as 5-7’ and you can go crazy and add as many as you want as long as you don’t go over the NYS nine- hook point per rod rule. 

• Like 1

On the issue of downrigger ball breaking, learn to tie the wire line knot on the termination swivel to your ball instead of crimps.  Also, when you are bouncing around in waves, make sure your ball stays in the water until you are ready to load the release.

• Like 1