Lake O Water Level Keeps Dropping

Even with all the rain we've had this month, the top of my gunwale is almost level with the top of my dock. It looks like the lake dropped 4" just in the month of August.

The water in my Creek hasn't flowed in nearly 3 months. There is very little standing water in the deepest parts. And another heat advisory yesterday and today (Jefferson County, among other counties). We need rain...

I believe the flood gates in the river have been open pretty good this summer due to the other lakes being high. I guess they can adjust the flow rate that they said they were not allowed to do last year. Lol

Silverfoxcharters.net

• Like 1

If you were to take the time to read the information on discharge protocols on the IJC web page, you might understand the different seasonal limitations on releases, and especially the need for ice cover(not there in winter 2017) to maximize releases during the winter, also the impact of the Ottawa River spring flood and flooding in Montreal and also along the St Lawrence, and we should not forget the record rains of winter-spring 2017, all of which have been reported to cause the 2017 high water, and none of which continued into 2018.  You can likely put your hard hat away, the sky is not falling this year (although many of you were crying that in spring 2018).  A quick look at the high and low level prior to the creation of the Seaway might even make you realize how much worse things could be as seasonal highs and lows were uncontrolled back then, and it could go  as high as the fluke year, 2017,  and lower than you've seen it lately without the control.

SOME places, like downtown Pulaski, and Perinton, NY,  got heavy rains, some places only miles away got next to nothing. The level of the Lake is reported as 0.10 foot higher than long term average for August, so they are back to "normal."  

Lucky13, I'm going by the FACT that my gunwale was at least 6" above my dock on Aug 2nd, 2018, and now my gunwale is almost even with the height of the dock. You can talk all those scientific numbers until you are blue in the face, but I'm going by what I see. I'm not blaming Plan 2014 or the IJC, I was merely referring to the continuously lower lake levels this year. My opinion about the cause is that we had a drought that was worse than what's being reported. We've also had a hot summer, and it seems like there is more water evaporating than what is being replaced by rain. That's my non-scientific observation.

Zebra mussels are reportedly drinking and storing more water, and so are the gobies, in a coordinated effort to deprive Lake Ontario fishermen of better access to the lake. All of the lake's invasive species are being controlled by electric magnetic pulses from Chinese and Russian satellites. It's a major top secret conspiracy that (oh crap) I just blew the cover on...:bandit:

What just happened...? Must be those EMP satellites :lol:

• Like 2

Lucky13, I'm going by the FACT that my gunwale was at least 6" above my dock on Aug 2nd, 2018, and now my gunwale is almost even with the height of the dock. You can talk all those scientific numbers until you are blue in the face, but I'm going by what I see. I'm not blaming Plan 2014 or the IJC, I was merely referring to the continuously lower lake levels this year. My opinion about the cause is that we had a drought that was worse than what's being reported. We've also had a hot summer, and it seems like there is more water evaporating than what is being replaced by rain. That's my non-scientific observation.

Zebra mussels are reportedly drinking and storing more water, and so are the gobies, in a coordinated effort to deprive Lake Ontario fishermen of better access to the lake. All of the lake's invasive species are being controlled by electric magnetic pulses from Chinese and Russian satellites. It's a major top secret conspiracy that (oh crap) I just blew the cover on...:bandit:

What just happened...? Must be those EMP satellites [emoji38]
Exactly. I was thinking the same thing. I don't need the scientific mumbo jumbo about the average levels. I'm only stating what I heard about Erie and the increased flow the last 2 months. Geesh

Silverfoxcharters.net

• Like 1

Sorry Todd, not saying your boat isn't lower in the water, I was reacting to the silver fox's all knowing pronouncement of how easy it should be to let water go when ever he wants it gone, regardless of whether Montreal is 5.5 feet underwater.   They ARE letting more water go to stay on target, and because they CAN, now.  This is not the case in the winter if they don't  have ice,  or it is already flooding in the Lower St Lawrence. 

" I guess they can adjust the flowrate that they said they were not allowed to do last year" is the mumbo jumbo, not the science that explains why they can and can't take certain actions at certain times. 

• Like 1

No problem Lucky13. I know people were talking about Lake O flooding due to the higher levels on Lake Superior. That is almost as ridiculous as the petroleum companies raising gas prices because there's a hurricane somewhere in the Atlantic that "could" impact oil production in the Gulf of Mexico. I hope the IJC didn't jump the gun and increase outflows due to that far fetched possibility of Lake Superior causing Lake O to flood.

I'm with Silver Fox on the numbers and average lake levels. I've seen my marina, and heard of other local Marina's, have their water levels rise 3'+ in a matter of hours with a strong SW wind. It happened this year, the day before walleye season opened. It left boats sitting on top of the docks. It's too hard to believe those scientific numbers when I see so many factors that dictate water levels. That strong wind in early May raised our water level faster than a high tide. I'll admit that I'm not "smart" enough for science, so I just have to believe what I can see with my own eyes.

Edited by Todd in NY

Sorry Todd, not saying your boat isn't lower in the water, I was reacting to the silver fox's all knowing pronouncement of how easy it should be to let water go when ever he wants it gone, regardless of whether Montreal is 5.5 feet underwater.   They ARE letting more water go to stay on target, and because they CAN, now.  This is not the case in the winter if they don't  have ice,  or it is already flooding in the Lower St Lawrence. 

" I guess they can adjust the flowrate that they said they were not allowed to do last year" is the mumbo jumbo, not the science that explains why they can and can't take certain actions at certain times. 
Lol

Silverfoxcharters.net

27 minutes ago, fisherdude said:

Been a weird year for rain here in Seneca County had our share lately Summer started off dry and ending in disaster for some people here

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I heard at least one marina closed because of low water on Lake O, but I don't know if it's true or a rumor.

You sure they didn't close due to electromagnetic waves?  

Here's the " Official" report on water level.  A lot of Marinas are starting to understand floating docks.  Of course, when the upper lakes are low, and there is a full blown drought, lots of boats will be high and dry unless the marina's get to dredging, too. 

http://lre-wm.usace.army.mil/ForecastData/DailyLevelsEnglish.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky13 said:

You sure they didn't close due to electromagnetic waves?  

Lol, you never know...

The marina that I heard closed, it has floating docks, and they've been there for many years. Apparently their creek access to the lake is too shallow now. That's the report I heard, but again, I haven't bothered to look into it further.

5 hours ago, Todd in NY said:

Lol, you never know...

The marina that I heard closed, it has floating docks, and they've been there for many years. Apparently their creek access to the lake is too shallow now. That's the report I heard, but again, I haven't bothered to look into it further.

What marina?

4 hours ago, Bozeman Bob said:

Hot Hot summer = Air conditioning demand = more water let out through control demand/.generating station = lower lake level. And yes historically from August to winter time the water level is lowered.

Hot summer = more people watering their lawn and making me work harder at my job.  We are pumping way more water out of the lake this year than last. 

The lake level is about average for this time of the year.  I don't see why it would make a marina close. 

7 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Hot summer = more people watering their lawn and making me work harder at my job.  We are pumping way more water out of the lake this year than last. 

The lake level is about average for this time of the year.  I don't see why it would make a marina close. 

I'll have to call the marina today to see if there is any truth to the rumor.

Edited by Todd in NY

I just read that the time has come to either elect or appoint a new person who will be under Trumps thumb to be in with the Canadian Gov't about the newer water heights. It sounded like this new water height ordeal will be one of the top priorities. I'm not that well versed in the political end of things, but it sounded like the homeowners didn't want this lady appointed because the water level ordeal is what she is in favor for. It was a world news event. I can't say anymore as this is what my pea brain picked up on.

• Like 1

The reports down here is that she agrees with the lakefront property owners that the 2017 high water was caused by Plan 2014, not the all time highest rainfall for March and April combined with high water from the upper lakes, combined with flooding in Montreal and the Ottawa freshet, combined with the low discharge rate in January and February caused by lack of Ice cover on the St Lawrence, which is what all the scientists have indicated  would have caused the high water regardless of what controls were in place.  Should be "real fun" watching yet another disfunctional Federal initiative unfold!