Downrigger advice

I’m trying to get an opinion on downriggers. I have a set of Penn 820’s along with a Big Jon captains choice. So now I’m thinking of not selling the Big Jon and picking up a matching unit or selling all 3 and switch to cannon. Is there anyone that has used both the big Jon and cannon mag 10 units ? What did you find between the 2 brands? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well, I have decided to sell 820's and the Big Jon and change to Scotty's. Everything I read have the reated really high and I like the drive system in them. So, just made a deal for one and will need to see some of the others before I can get the second.

Scotty has been making down riggers for close to a century now.
They are fast on setting and retrieving. You will be making a mistake selling yours now. Put it on your boat and see it operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Scotty has been making down riggers for close to a century now.
They are fast on setting and retrieving. You will be making a mistake selling yours now. Put it on your boat and see it operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
A century? Wow

Silverfoxcharters.net

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have used both.  Always loved the looks and the durability of the big jons.  Had big jobs in my old boat years ago without problems.  

Running cannons now now and I love them.  Love the auto stop system.  I really like the cannon stainless steel base, swivel base and booms.  I think that has stepped up the quality from years ago in my opinion.  

Keep in in mind I was away from this fishing for ten years.  All of the riggers that have stood the test of time are good but I really have shifted from big Jon to cannon.  

• 2 weeks later...