Boat capsized off sandy pond

Guys

It’s rough out there these next few days. I heard on the radio the whole situation about the boat capsizing this morn. All were rescued thank god. It’s scary, don’t clog the radio with the unnecessary, that seems to be what saved these unfortunate boaters

• Like 1

Wtf every week boats going down . Thank God no 1 hurt ...
Can't find any intell on internet...
Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good fishing this year brings new boaters some of which dont have the scars on their back reminding them how this lake can be. I don't consider myself smarter.....ok perhaps a little lol....rather i just really remember the lessons learned. And i remember them WELL

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ya the pump quit on there boat and by The time they noticed it was too late. I was the first to arrive to there boat and it was only a matter of a minute after I arrived the boat went under. Two other boat arrived shortly after me and all made it on boats safe. The true glory of fishing on this lake is the concern people have when someone is in needed from the very first call for help these men had everyone  looking to see if they could help. 

• Like 6

For anyone reading this thread that wouldn't otherwise think of it.   Having your bilge pump tied to a float switch is a must!  You don't have to keep your boat in the water to need this.  Its an early warning to problem.  

Separately, but related.  I towed a 24' boat with my 18' boat last year.  He was broken down and didn't have radio or cell phone to get out of trouble.  Communication is a must.  I have a VHF on my 18' tied to my GPS chartplotter which has an emergency button that gives the CG my location, indentification and contact names of family IF activated.  VHF may seem less valuable these days with cell phones, but its still a good emergency tool for big water....and Lake O classifies for sure. I always leave with sufficient cell phone battery charge.  

Its great that people can and do help and I surely will.  However you have to plan like there is no help from others and consider that you may be putting others in harms way if you are unprepared.

Edited by Fat Trout
  • Like 2

It can also be beneficial to have a DC cell phone charger kept on the boat if you have an plug in outlet.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 3

Great job by the rescue boats. My question is how do these boats go down so fast, don't they half to maintain level float. Don't mean to sound ignorant. I was out there that evening with a 16 when the lake layed down for a few hrs. Had no idea what had happened till I heard at the launch. Going home early if it's it's bad tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

There are some great suggestions above, especially about the float switch for bilge pump. Definitely going to get that put in as well as DC charger for cell.

After coming home fishing out of Sandy Cr last night and cleaning my fish, sat down and had a beer, then thought about the past two fishing accidents recently on Lake O. Don't know why but I wanted to watch that old movie Captains Courageous with Spencer Tracy. I think it explains why we fish.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Low Baller said:

Great job by the rescue boats. My question is how do these boats go down so fast, don't they half to maintain level float. Don't mean to sound ignorant. I was out there that evening with a 16 when the lake layed down for a few hrs. Had no idea what had happened till I heard at the launch. Going home early if it's it's bad tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Floatation foam may keep the boat from going down but it can also become REALLY tippy with a lot of water in the bilge so you capsize if you have pitching wavy conditions.  This is expecially true of a small boat that takes on a crapload of water which now is all on the deck and not in the bilge.  The center of gravity goes way high and it rolls in what are surely very wavy and pitching conditions.    The scary part about that scenario is it will happen really fast.  I keep my life jackets on deck on the sides in cargo netting for that reason

Edited by Fat Trout
  • Like 1

I'm an oldtimer out there alot. The second thing I always do after starting main motor is to turn on my VHF radio. I have favorite channels but I know coast guard is always there waiting for your call on #16. Cell phones are not 100% dependable on the open lake!! Would not go out on the open Lake with out a reliable VHF and 8ft antenna. I was rescued by Coast Guard once years ago and learned this lesson. Just MHO.

rn 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2018 at 3:39 PM, Fat Trout said:

For anyone reading this thread that wouldn't otherwise think of it.   Having your bilge pump tied to a float switch is a must!  You don't have to keep your boat in the water to need this.  Its an early warning to problem.  

Separately, but related.  I towed a 24' boat with my 18' boat last year.  He was broken down and didn't have radio or cell phone to get out of trouble.  Communication is a must.  I have a VHF on my 18' tied to my GPS chartplotter which has an emergency button that gives the CG my location, indentification and contact names of family IF activated.  VHF may seem less valuable these days with cell phones, but its still a good emergency tool for big water....and Lake O classifies for sure. I always leave with sufficient cell phone battery charge.  

Its great that people can and do help and I surely will.  However you have to plan like there is no help from others and consider that you may be putting others in harms way if you are unprepared.

Same here. that MMSI # is for free and it is a must

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, Fat Trout said:

I have a VHF on my 18' tied to my GPS chartplotter which has an emergency button that gives the CG my location, indentification and contact names of family IF activated

Just so you know the system is not set up on the Great Lakes for this to work yet. I keep reading that lack of funds in the fed system have kept it from happening for us.

50 minutes ago, Tall Tails said:

Just so you know the system is not set up on the Great Lakes for this to work yet. I keep reading that lack of funds in the fed system have kept it from happening for us.

Are you sure about that?

I'm not going to proclaim to be an expert but with 5 min of google searching I didn't find anything saying the MMSI #'s weren't used in certain Geographies.  I did find info via coast guard / homeland security that seemed to indicate that coverage via the Rescue 21 Distress system appears to have been completed as of October last year and to include the coastal US portion of Lake Ontario in the ninth district called "sector buffalo" .  I'm taking it that it includes your direct info via your MMSI #....but admittedly I'm not an expert. 

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtNds

https://www.dcms.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Assistant-Commandant-for-Acquisitions-CG-9/Newsroom/R21_103117/