Nice catch and release! Congrats! Wish more guys would release. The fishery needs those slobs to keep the genetics going for big fish. Too much pressure too especially from tournaments where bass are bounced around for hours and then release 10s of miles from the catch spot. Way to go buddy.

My buddy is helped clean fish from the tourney in clayton this past weekend.... 5 60qt coolers of small mouth. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Unreal, all the talk about gobies and fishing smallies on the nest and then this stuff, weight them on the boat and put them back like the challenge match fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, BP Swing said:

For what tourney? I thought they were all catch and release???

Not all the tourneys are C&R especially the small tourneys ran by the local shops. As far as I know the only C&R tourney on the St. Law. is the bass masters.

Id like to know the names of the local tourneys that arent catch and release. Time to bring them with the times. Anybody know any tourneys up there that arent catch and release? Maybe we can can change things if enough guys stand up. My opinion of tourneys is they SUCK! So does catch and kill!

Edited by BP Swing

1 hour ago, BP Swing said:

Id like to know the names of the local tourneys that arent catch and release. Time to bring them with the times. Anybody know any tourneys up there that arent catch and release? Maybe we can can change things if enough guys stand up. My opinion of tourneys is they SUCK! So does catch and kill!

There are a few but one that comes to mind is the Pillar Point derby that is opening weekend. I'm not sure if the NYS Summer Classic is CR or not. I can't remember the name of the other one, I doubt you will get the tournament to change their rules or guidelines as it would require a lot more work. I know Pillar Point is a 1 fish deal so that helps so you can cull a couple fish and isn't based on a 1 man limit. Same for the Summer classic I believe.

Same goes for all the Nothern and Walleye tournaments up there.

Edited by Chas0218

Any tournament or club affiliated with BASS or the FLW is catch and release. Any local derby is going to be a kill tournament. BASS events actually scatter stocks them after. Smallmouth are very good eating so plenty will always be killed and as long as the St Lawrence continues to produce trophy fish there is going to be constant pressure on the fishery.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I assume the fished killed were only those that didn't make it through the weigh in process?140 anglers with 5 fish bags  for a couple days really adds up. Someone must know what the breakdown was between fish released back to the river and those that ended up in the coolers. I bet FLW won't give it up!!

My son fishes a lot of big tournaments and from what I understand the big tournaments really do a good job with the care of the fish. The anglers at that level take extra steps as well because there is huge money on the line and dead fish are a penalty. That being said I think they scatter stock partially so there isn't a bunch of floaters all in one location.

Did you notice in the video she said fizzing would not be necessary if they were immediately released? Personally I think its BS BASS comes up here when all the fish are 35-40 feet deep which means they all have to be fizzed. I wonder how many of those beauties died after they were caught, pounded all day in a livewell, fizzed with a needle and then released 50 miles away 8 hrs later? It sickens me. Well at least they are making an attempt at conservation unlike these local hick tourneys who kill everything for a few bucks and a hero shot of the winner.

BASS is invited and PAID by the local cities to come and have tournaments. These tournaments bring in tons of revenue short term, but also the millions of people who what the tournaments on TV flock to these fisheries to vacation and bass fish. BTW, BASS would tell you weights and catch rates have risen in the last decade during the bass tournament explosion. I'm not a huge fan of these events either but those anglers are c&r year round and those who keep them to eat are entitled to eating bass.

Yes I know they are invited but even the towns are putting money over the health of the fishery. Any way you look at it having to fizz 2 1/2 tons (I think that was the total they weighed or some rediculous number) of Smallmouth Bass is not good. Seems like they should come up when they arent so deep so fizzing and releasing isnt such an issue. Some of these guys had pectoral fin weights on the bass in the livewell to keep them upright. Sorry that seems like its going too far for me with these tournaments. Yes they are money makers for all involved but at what cost for the fishery? 

BTW sorry this thread got hijacked about the PB bass Roughrider 4 got. He did the right thing and released it. Hats off to him!

Nice fish! Any smallmouth > 5 pounds is a jumbo. Caught hundreds w only 2 > 6 pounds to date. One on L Erie, one on Conesus. believe it or not on L Erie they go to 8 to 9 lps (perhaps more). The next WR may come out of L Erie.

You can blame the DEC also.  Why a 5 bass limit?  Lake Ontario on the South shore used to be littered with smallmouth.  Now it is a drop in the bucket of what it was 15 years ago.  We still have a 5 bass limit on the lake.  When I asked at the state of the lake meeting about this a couple years ago they said the limit stayed at five fish for bass tournaments....... Pathetic!

When "others" said about it being a blood shed fill the pockets of the rich already years ago when they had guys with dip nets picking all the dead smallies up and putting them in a dumpster?? Saw this with my own eyes!! Pilliar Point was the weigh station and the following Monday/Tuesday they were over in and around Sackets Harbor after a so called scatter release. This was a Hushed up thing most people would be at work or other obligations. They filled a green dumpster with bass my uncle is a hard core bass guy and he now understands why it's so hard to catch a smallie by us. We were asked to leave!!! I was told the reason why they don't lower the limit was because the State of NY waters have plenty of bass to sustain the limit at (5) Hmmm. They have special Regs. for every other fish, God forbid the salmon Population would be in harm's way!!! I watched the bass tournament on the St Lawrence on the fishing channel the most repeated phrase was "Man I love fishing the St Lawrence no where else do we get a crowd like we get here, plus the weight of fish this place gives up is just incredible. Working fall offs in 30+ feet was the ticket for us." So much for gobies and nest casters pre-season being the most prominent problem.:hi:

Edited by pap