2018 WATERFOWL SEASON !!

That's pretty cool !! I want 1.
The 4 of us went to the same field as yesterday. With no wind and sun the birds we're not working like it either. We managed to get 30. What a weekend !!! Temp felt good as well. Going to hunt the roost on Tuesday night should be a good 1. IMG_20180923_101623.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy and I had a great shoot Saturday morning. Lots of teal and wood ducks around . It took a bit for the big ducks to fly but we were just about done by then. 5 teal , 1B 4G. 1 ring neck. 1 Mallard . 3 wood ducks and 2 gadwall. I took a pic of some vegetation... what I call duck potato. Anyone know the correct name ? What ever it is the ducks love it. Swamp was loaded with it. IMG_20181007_105156.jpgIMG_20181006_113623.jpgIMG_20181006_155430.jpg

17 hours ago, longspurs said:

My buddy and I had a great shoot Saturday morning. Lots of teal and wood ducks around . It took a bit for the big ducks to fly but we were just about done by then. 5 teal , 1B 4G. 1 ring neck. 1 Mallard . 3 wood ducks and 2 gadwall. I took a pic of some vegetation... what I call duck potato. Anyone know the correct name ? What ever it is the ducks love it. Swamp was loaded with it. IMG_20181007_105156.jpgIMG_20181006_113623.jpgIMG_20181006_155430.jpg

That is arrow arum (Peltandra virginica). Ducks love it! I have found the seeds in bear scat as well.

Edited by dawsonscreek

• 2 weeks later...

Just read an article on next years waterfowl season. Not only are they dropping mallard limit to 2 a day but are also reducing the goose limit from 3 to 2 a day and reduce the regular goose season from 50-30 days. No change in early goose season. This may furthered drive waterfowlers away from hunting.
In Canada there is a 6 duck limit for most all types of ducks and 5 goose limit and goose is open for nearly entire duck season. Also much longer seasons.
Had a decent shoot yesterday.9857f3d7cadb8b44e8826ea3174420b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Kevin this has been a topic of discussion recently with alot of my hunting buddies. Hate to say it but New York needs to take a little responsibility for killing alot of Atlantic flyways migratory canadas during last 2 weeks of September every year for the last 2 years our state is just as much at fault as Canada. Just my opinion however 50-100 bird piles 90% of the time are not resident honkers 

Kevin this has been a topic of discussion recently with alot of my hunting buddies. Hate to say it but New York needs to take a little responsibility for killing alot of Atlantic flyways migratory canadas during last 2 weeks of September every year for the last 2 years our state is just as much at fault as Canada. Just my opinion however 50-100 bird piles 90% of the time are not resident honkers 
Last 2 weeks in September is all migratory and the March season don't help what so ever. Then late ice at the breeding grounds till end of june, Then u have this ! August to mid September would be nice for the early season .

2 hours ago, longspurs said:

Last 2 weeks in September is all migratory and the March season don't help what so ever. Then late ice at the breeding grounds till end of june, Then u have this ! August to mid September would be nice for the early season .

March season definitely isn't the best for it either but at least then the limit is only 5 and you need plugged guns however unfortunately we know New York won't take any responsibility for ultimately having a big role in this problem. I'm sure September season will remain the same days and March won't change because too many people complain  about goose poop in parks and think of geese as a whole instead of the differences in the migratory and resident populations

I don't disagree that the last week of early season has many migratory birds showing up. Just seems odd that Canada has much longer goose season and 5 bird limit and is just across the river from us. We are also allowed only 2 scaup and you can shoot 6 in Canada. Not sure if they have changes for next year. I'm certainly in favor of conservation measures when needed but it seems as though rules should be similar on both sides.
Also this year there were very few resident birds in my area till the migratory birds moved down. Guides were even canceling due to lack of geese until the last week of the early season.

I was fortunate enough to have a good hunt yesterday and get my first band! A single came in as we were standing out side of the blind and I took on shot at him and crushed him! We ended up with 18 geese and 4 bands. Mine was 8+ year old and banded near Sudbury, Ontario. The rest of the bands were local, but each came from a different flock. 

D5B5BDE6-BA48-4DE3-A6DD-608FE2356DE0.jpeg

508343EC-A298-427B-A16D-6BEF37FC1E1C.jpeg

Edited by dawsonscreek

On 10/28/2018 at 9:11 AM, Kevin J Legg said:

Just read an article on next years waterfowl season. Not only are they dropping mallard limit to 2 a day but are also reducing the goose limit from 3 to 2 a day and reduce the regular goose season from 50-30 days. No change in early goose season. This may furthered drive waterfowlers away from hunting.
In Canada there is a 6 duck limit for most all types of ducks and 5 goose limit and goose is open for nearly entire duck season. Also much longer seasons.
Had a decent shoot yesterday.9857f3d7cadb8b44e8826ea3174420b6.jpg

Kevin,

Do you have a link to this article? I am very interested in this since I was looking at my journals and the only time in the last 23 years of Duck hunting that I hit a limit for every one (usually 1-3) guys was 2 years ago. This year on Opening morning I ended up with 2 ringnecks (missed the 3rd one) and that was all that came in but I can only add on 12-14 more that I saw in the air on Saturday. Sunday was a bit better but 0 ducks came in, and I saw 40+ in the air over the farm ponds in Orleans County. 

As for geese, I can shoot my limit every day in the regular season if I wanted but this year I got 3 opening day and vowed never to even call to another group unless someone wanted one. Yesterday alone I counted 300+ that came in and landed on the ponds.... I was just chalking it up to the geese were pushing the ducks out, but if there is no ducks and just geese that could be interesting. 

I am really interested in seeing how they estimate or count. At one point there were 82 geese on the pond and then another 3  groups circling the ponds looking for a place to land. It will be that way until they freeze up but I would rather the birds be ducks than Canadas.....

Kevin,

Do you have a link to this article? I am very interested in this since I was looking at my journals and the only time in the last 23 years of Duck hunting that I hit a limit for every one (usually 1-3) guys was 2 years ago. This year on Opening morning I ended up with 2 ringnecks (missed the 3rd one) and that was all that came in but I can only add on 12-14 more that I saw in the air on Saturday. Sunday was a bit better but 0 ducks came in, and I saw 40+ in the air over the farm ponds in Orleans County. 

As for geese, I can shoot my limit every day in the regular season if I wanted but this year I got 3 opening day and vowed never to even call to another group unless someone wanted one. Yesterday alone I counted 300+ that came in and landed on the ponds.... I was just chalking it up to the geese were pushing the ducks out, but if there is no ducks and just geese that could be interesting. 

I am really interested in seeing how they estimate or count. At one point there were 82 geese on the pond and then another 3  groups circling the ponds looking for a place to land. It will be that way until they freeze up but I would rather the birds be ducks than Canadas.....

https://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2018/10/fewer_canada_geese_mallard_ducks_hunting_restrictions_will_tighten_next_year.html

Thanks Kevin.... I would agree that duck numbers based on my direct viewing has gone down. As for the goose drop, I am really questioning the numbers that they are using to define the populations of resident vs non-resident geese. I guess I will spend more time fishing rather than duck hunting... The issue also seems to be the inverse of what goes on weather related... Drought years because I am on established ponds, I see more ducks but when we have wet years I seem to see less and less. Is there any info that you have seen released related to duck numbers dropping to having the egg clutches being drowned by too much rain by chance?