2018 WATERFOWL SEASON !!

3 hours ago, Missdemeanor said:

Complete crap.... Good divers like Cans Redheads and Blue Bills normally don't show up until after Jan 1.
These old SOBs setting the season's are nothing more than wimpy fair weather popcorn duck hunters... God forbid they get a little chilly.... SMH

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2 If they opened the season mid January I wouldn’t be opposed by it 

They dont want you to shoot ducks . So this is how they do it , they screw with the dates ,but can claim we have plenty of oppurtunity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

True that ! The whole flyway better adjust their dates. I guess Canada didn't ....... [emoji848]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Can't wait to see what 30 days they make the goose season dates and the limits. I know some people that already sold stuff. It's like the crash of hunters when lead switch over to steel. So many old timers told me they stop hunting when steel was the law. Wonder if will be a crash of fowl hunters again .

The season dates are Oct 9 to Nov 10, Nov 30 to Jan 5. These season dates are going to be used for the next 5 years. Missdemeanor, you couldn't be further from the truth. Calling the people who set the seasons wimpy fair weather popcorn hunters tells me you have no idea about the people on the task force or the new process in place for deciding the season dates. We were shooting good numbers of Cans, Redheads and Scaup towards the tail end of the early season, all the way thru the second split. I am on the Western zone task force and can tell you the Mallard bag reduction, as well as the Goose limit/season days reduction was a decision made by the Feds and is flyway-wide. As far as the new season dates are concerned, I dare anyone to come up with dates that makes everyone in the Western zone happy. Let me know if you are unaware of the new process used to decide the season dates. The task force meets this weekend to decide the Goose, Brandt and Youth dates. I will be sure to post them and then listen to the complaining.

jigger they're not going to open it up on the 9th that is a Wednesday never opens on a Wednesday. My buddy just told me it's confirmed to be a 23/37 day split. First season dates are October 19th to November 10th. Second season dates are November 30th to January 5th. The season dates will be like this for five years and then is confirmed unless hear other. It almost looks like the dates revolve around deer hunters....... Catch the rut start of shotgun season....... If it revolves around popcorn hunters the whole month of November would be open...........

The season dates are Oct 9 to Nov 10, Nov 30 to Jan 5. These season dates are going to be used for the next 5 years. Missdemeanor, you couldn't be further from the truth. Calling the people who set the seasons wimpy fair weather popcorn hunters tells me you have no idea about the people on the task force or the new process in place for deciding the season dates. We were shooting good numbers of Cans, Redheads and Scaup towards the tail end of the early season, all the way thru the second split. I am on the Western zone task force and can tell you the Mallard bag reduction, as well as the Goose limit/season days reduction was a decision made by the Feds and is flyway-wide. As far as the new season dates are concerned, I dare anyone to come up with dates that makes everyone in the Western zone happy. Let me know if you are unaware of the new process used to decide the season dates. The task force meets this weekend to decide the Goose, Brandt and Youth dates. I will be sure to post them and then listen to the complaining.

That's over a federal 60-day season so I don't think that's legit that opens on a Wednesday.....but

To dare with dates lol ..... People get their heads out ... U need 3 splits but u got that as a Fed law as well "but" yet again.

1st season
Oct 12 to 20th. 9days teal woodie.

2nd mid
November 9th to December 1st. 23 day. Tail end of Woodies and teal , mallards migration.

3rd season
December 28th to Jan 24th . 28 day season divers all u want.... Cans,bills,reds

All hunters would have to agree with them dates. There's your fix

3 splits are not allowed, only 2. 60 day duck, 30 day goose.  Its easy to say there's your fix, no, there's Longspurs fix, all hunters would not agree to those dates. Until you pour thru suggestions from western zone  hunters about what they would consider the best waterfowl season is you have no idea how hard it is to come up with season dates that please everyone. Hunters may find they like the new dates better than the way it has been for the last 23 years. I don't think everyone is pissed.  Our first reaction to changes such as this is to get pissed and start pointing fingers. Lets see what happens with the new dates, and if everyone still thinks it is a terrible set of dates, then make changes.

Get some work done and get the 3 split and its fixed . lol U will look like a hero !! U sound like my buddy that goes to the meeting and he tells me the same thing u do ! u can't do 3 ! Well .... I give u a answer and u have no power... I don't see why different zones can't have a different number of splits ? Long as they don't go over 60 days ? There's no good answer then !!! No hard feeling, I'm done see u guys next year !!!

I’m with you guys on the three split. Maybe instead asking questions on HIP# where they have very little relevance questions to season dates they poll hunters on there rate of success by when they hunted and what would like the dates to be? There’s a late season hunting group in this fingerlakes area that’s dying off because it’s becoming a huge costly waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

So if I understand this correctly, after re reading this post, the season dates are locked for the next 5 years? Who does that? Who limits the ability for change for something as important as a season dates for wildlife management programs to not fluctuate with potential changes either in harvest, breeding, wetland issues etc. For what it’s worth, I would keep it on the low low that feedback to the dates is useless for the next 5 years. Sure is one way to reduce participation. Maybe that’s the agenda? Hopefully it’s just a big misunderstanding on my part and it’s revisited annually and someone else is misinformed?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Frogger.... you are correct in your understanding that is for the next 5 years!!!! Trust me there is a large number of us that are not happy about these dates, and we were never approached for Input!! It is my understanding that there is a meeting tomorrow in Avon, NY in regards to these dates. But I am guessing they are keeping that quiet also so as to not be inundated with irate hunters!! If that is not the case, please put the time and address out so others can attend!! This state is looking like it is following PA with its dates trying to allow deer hunters to get the rut and also able to hunt the duck seasons, like was stated before!!! Our customers and fellow guides and to say the least pissed at these new dates!!! So we need to keep this in mind whenever someone hears about an upcoming waterfowl season meeting, we need to make ourselves heard!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just a reminder, the process used to establish the new season dates was largely taken out of the hands of the task force this year. The process this year relied on comparing results from the DEC survey of Western zone hunters and E-Bird migration data. The task force met in September and came up with 10 different season alternatives based on the area each member represents, migration data and knowing the questions being asked in the survey, not the results. The survey results were made known in early November and the decision was made based on the previously mentioned comparisons. As far as input from hunters is concerned, since the inception of the task force, 22 or so years ago, there has been opportunity for input available thru the DEC site including a list of task force members and contact information.