2018 WATERFOWL SEASON !!

Just a reminder, the process used to establish the new season dates was largely taken out of the hands of the task force this year. The process this year relied on comparing results from the DEC survey of Western zone hunters and E-Bird migration data. The task force met in September and came up with 10 different season alternatives based on the area each member represents, migration data and knowing the questions being asked in the survey, not the results. The survey results were made known in early November and the decision was made based on the previously mentioned comparisons. As far as input from hunters is concerned, since the inception of the task force, 22 or so years ago, there has been opportunity for input available thru the DEC site including a list of task force members and contact information.

Lol that is what you want everyone to believe. But after seeing how things went down, and who these dates will benefit is a joke!!! Just a way for those that these dates will benefit to make it look like that was wanted!! Farthest from the truth!!! Remember this task force, esp those that are state employees work for us tax payers, and license buyers and not for themselves!!!! This is no different than what is going down with the fishing regs!!!! Watch and see what happens next time!!! Then you won’t be able to cover it up!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just about everyone that register hip most likely gets a survey if u say u shot bird the previous year for that species. So if u answer the question wrong u won't be sent surveys . I was told by waterfowl biologist/fed game bla bla bla .... a survey handed in Is better than anything a hunter can do for words of input.
I get crow , snow goose , goose, duck , dove don't know why dove but. Answer the questions and turn them in guys it's about all we can do.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Capt Rich, what do you mean how things went down?  Who benefits the most from these dates? How many task force members are state employees? How is this the same as the fishing regs? What will happen next time? What am I trying to cover up? You obviously have no clue about the process used to arrive at these dates. What dates would you suggest? Have you sent suggestions in to the task force before?

I have never been sent a survey either. I know 3 people who did. In the past, season dates in the Western zone have taken 5 or 6 hours for the task force to decide, WHEN THE TASK FORCE MADE THE DECISION. The Western zone encompasses a huge area with many different areas and types of hunting to consider, not to mention the changing weather patterns. Missdemeaner, just wondering what your ideal season dates would be considering a 60 day season, split 2 ways, or not split at all, and not extending past February 1st

I have never been sent a survey either. I know 3 people who did. In the past, season dates in the Western zone have taken 5 or 6 hours for the task force to decide, WHEN THE TASK FORCE MADE THE DECISION. The Western zone encompasses a huge area with many different areas and types of hunting to consider, not to mention the changing weather patterns. Missdemeaner, just wondering what your ideal season dates would be considering a 60 day season, split 2 ways, or not split at all, and not extending past February 1st

I don't care about Oct/ Nov... Do whatever you want...

First 3 weeks of January... Of course what I think doesn't matter now since you fellas worked it out amongst yourselves.... For the next 5 years....

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I do a hip registration every year and have never had a survey mailed or emailed to me... I don't know anyone ( I've been calling a ton of guys in recent days) who was sent a survey...

Just throwing it out there....cuz I did this.

I used to call hip and "hit #1" every question. Witch is "didn't shoot any" guess what u will never get a survey. If u never shot shlt I wouldn't sent u 1 either.
Then 1 day I started to get wiser and answer them saying yes. I got so many survey from the hip.
Not sure what to say but the survey didn't help. Only hurt the waterfowl community.

I DIDN'T GET 1 THIS YEAR !!!!

LOL You must think I work for the state. You just don't get it. Keep believing the conspiracies, and when you find out what I said was right, keep denying it. I will let you know what dates the goose season will be after the meeting tomorrow.
Watch goose season will be between the split of duck seasons lmao . U guy want to set up for 1 or 2 birds apiece.

LOL You must think I work for the state. You just don't get it. Keep believing the conspiracies, and when you find out what I said was right, keep denying it. I will let you know what dates the goose season will be after the meeting tomorrow.

No but Mike does......and he was involved....maybe not on tbe task Force , but he was involved.... And yes....i will believe what ex- task Force members say. They have the inside scoop on how the dates were chosen. How the 3rd week of Nov was in 9 out of the 10 season models but you guys went with choice ten... ( just an example) Guys are now saying they knew all this was going to happen 2 years ago....

Longspurs, I answer the questions appropriately every year and have never had a survey from NYS. I did do a survey a few years ago for USFG. Cut some wings off and sent them in...

And about Capt Rich's claim about fishing regs... He's 100% correct... A certain group of people got the ear of the DEC and have convinced them there is a need to change certain fishing regs. While I agree with some of the tributary regulations, the lake regulations will only add to to a certain species mortality rate... But that's for another thread.

Inhave been waterfowl hunting since 1993, have done the HIP registration online and over the phone. Have never received a survey from DEC, but have done the USFG and did the wing turn in. IMHO this “task force” is no better than our “AWESOME “ governor!!! Corruption everywhere!!! Do what is good for them but screw the masses!! A couple years they will get hammered and then we will see how bad they really are!!!
If you don’t know what I am talking about regarding the new fishing regs, then obviously you are not involved with the lake fishing!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 6:35 PM, thejigger said:

The season dates are Oct 9 to Nov 10, Nov 30 to Jan 5. These season dates are going to be used for the next 5 years. Missdemeanor, you couldn't be further from the truth. Calling the people who set the seasons wimpy fair weather popcorn hunters tells me you have no idea about the people on the task force or the new process in place for deciding the season dates. We were shooting good numbers of Cans, Redheads and Scaup towards the tail end of the early season, all the way thru the second split. I am on the Western zone task force and can tell you the Mallard bag reduction, as well as the Goose limit/season days reduction was a decision made by the Feds and is flyway-wide. As far as the new season dates are concerned, I dare anyone to come up with dates that makes everyone in the Western zone happy. Let me know if you are unaware of the new process used to decide the season dates. The task force meets this weekend to decide the Goose, Brandt and Youth dates. I will be sure to post them and then listen to the complaining.

You know how you make everyone in the western zone happy? Split the western zone in half so the regs and season dates are different from the Niagara and finger lakes regions.

We finished out the last day of the March Goose season with a hard earned 4 man limit. We took a chance and slept in, not expecting the birds to fly first thing. The gamble was a bad choice and when we got to the field at 8:00 it was loaded, all we could do was watch from the road as small groups trickled in.

Figuring the sudden change in weather might make the birds feed twice we came back around 11:30  and there was only about 10 birds left. Good sign! As we set up birds worked the field; we were feeling hopeful. Finished set up around 1:00 and waited.  At about 4:00 they started to trickle in. We enjoyed a few pairs and singles to get started. As the evening continued some bigger volleys were had and around 6:30 the last goose of our limit hit the snow! My buddy’s young dog got a lot of practice out there and was loving it! 

3967B5F7-A3B8-4EF1-906A-5FE64E8E1F9C.jpeg

85D42D1B-7535-4D00-BA1C-79D28AFB4C26.jpeg

Edited by dawsonscreek