2018 WATERFOWL SEASON !!

Having a hard time finding and staying on birds here in the southern tir. SEems as though once we find some, they are gone the next day. Nothing is consistent down here. Despite the tough conditions we got on a field opening day and watched 100+ chose the next field over the hill and not even give us a look. Managed to pull one group of 5 off and we got three of them. Hopefully the cold front this weekend brings some much needed luck 

4DAD10A4-1069-48F8-8173-6BA9D15304BB.jpeg

8996F2F9-C6C1-4B91-A907-A8EB92FFA6EB.jpeg

Edited by dawsonscreek

Same up here Dawson , had a field Friday night with 150. We hunted it on the opener and they all flew to a field down the road. Thought after that it was a afternoon feed but we checked it in the afternoon and they moved on to the other field. Sunday we hunted a sweet corn field , that the farmer broadcasted some clover over for a cover crop and that's what they are feeding on in that spot. Heat, fast flight makes for a quick hunt. Was driving home at 815 both days. Lol I hate the heat.
Thanks Dave !!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah its brutal out there. Found those birds the next day on a pond and got permission only to find them gone the following day. Tough hunting. Do have permission on a pasture/pond with 100 just have a feeling they aren't leaving it to roost though. They've been there all week so hopefully they stick around. Plan is to shoot it this weekend, will post  report.

Found a field Friday night with 100 or so in it. So we hunted it yesterday . Had a mint hide , set up then, Good old farm hand was riding the badboy buggie in the field checking the sprinkler system when the birds we're coming in. Manage to have a flock and a solo come in . This cold front should get something going soon. IMG_20180908_083337.jpg

Had two pastures lined up for the weekend. Saturday's had over 100 in it the night before and had been consistently holding 4 dozen in the mornings, nobody showed up. Sunday's pasture had been holding 150 birds consistently all day and gain, nothing really showed up. We only had one flock work, and piss poor  shooting led to only three birds hitting the dirt. Still a great weekend to be out, nd the number of woodies on the pasture pond is exciting for October!

I haven't found birds to hunt yet. Seems like resident numbers here have dropped. My brother in laws farm has always held good numbers of geese and there were over 300 there the week before season but they have disappeared. Hopefully the cooler rainy weather will get some birds moving. If not perhaps we will get some movement the last week of season as often happens.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I'm starting to see more numbers my way but they are residents and know where its safe to hide out. One of the main spots is a farm that gets leased for deer that don't let anyone hunt geese. But seems like I am starting to see smaller groups moving to huntable areas.

Still not seeing any numbers in the fields I have always seen them or hunted and also not on ponds they always have been on. Also not seeing many birds moving off the river or ponds. Seems very different this year in my area.

Took a ride up around Hammond and checked out Chippewa and Goose Bay and didn't see much there this afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Duped again, set up in one of the pastures from last week, thinking the warm temps would have them in there. Well, they roosted in the pond up the road, got up just high enough to clear the trees and landed in the adjacent pasture. Likely never even saw my dekes. Oh well, bring on the ducks now, I've had enough of these long necks for a while.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that the snotty weather that is scheduled for later this week pushes some over my way. I have permission to hunt all say on Saturday but I usually like to get out of the orchard ponds by 10 or 10:30 so not to freak out the picking crews... Unfortunately this is my last shot at early goose this year due to work and family responsibilities, but if I can't get em I hope that the rest of you have better luck than what we have seen so far.

Maybe the slight cool down this weekend will do something. Saturday morning is probably shot for me due to a Friday night wedding, but gonna scout hard and put something together for Sunday as it is going to be my last day. Oct 6 is duck open for PA and I only live 10 minutes from the border so I might as well check that out!

4 of us hunted the field that my buddy had them birds in. Man it was the best goose hunt in a long time if not the best I ever had .Ended with a 4 man limit, and a bander ! They were dropping all over the place. Can't wait for tomorrow!!! They moved in for sure.
Nice shoot kjlegg. IMG_20180922_102243_1.jpgIMG_20180922_102143.jpgIMG_20180922_094657.jpg