Advise on 1999 Evinrude 225HP

Bought a 1999 Lund this year and went against all the advise posted here not to purchase without confirming the motor working.  ;

Learned that lesson..  This boat has a 1999 Evinrude 225HP Ficht,   Was repaired at a Marina and took it out on Saturday.  Ran good

out but when we came in the engine had no power after 1/4 throttle.  Sort of skips after 1/4 throttle.  The mechanic is young 

and most likely not an expert on this engine.  A few questions:

1. is there an experienced mechanic out there that is familiar with this engine that can work on it preferably in the Syracuse area?

2. Knowing this is an older engine I have a few choices - is it worth fixing and having confidence it will operate without issue or should

I consider looking at getting a different engine.

I know these engines have a history.  Perhaps a mechanic that is familiar with these may be the best option.

18 minutes ago, Dances with Fish said:

Bought a 1999 Lund this year and went against all the advise posted here not to purchase without confirming the motor working.  ;

Learned that lesson..  This boat has a 1999 Evinrude 225HP Ficht,   Was repaired at a Marina and took it out on Saturday.  Ran good

out but when we came in the engine had no power after 1/4 throttle.  Sort of skips after 1/4 throttle.  The mechanic is young 

and most likely not an expert on this engine.  A few questions:

1. is there an experienced mechanic out there that is familiar with this engine that can work on it preferably in the Syracuse area?

2. Knowing this is an older engine I have a few choices - is it worth fixing and having confidence it will operate without issue or should

I consider looking at getting a different engine.

I know these engines have a history.  Perhaps a mechanic that is familiar with these may be the best option.

Contact Hank, L&M from this board and see if he can help you out. He's in Port Bay so not real far.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had similar with my 2005 ficht 150.  Was a bad fuel pump.  The float in the pump was eaten away from ethanol and it would throttle up and then lose fuel and die.  Afterwards fuel would dump out of the airbox.  Took the top off of fuel pump to verify.  Part was over 1k but I found a beat up fuel pump on Ebay for 50 and luckily enough the float was like brand new inside.

the first thing I would check is the gas filter then the gas line. the old line with the gas we get now has a tendency for the inner liner to separate causing all kinds of problems. next I would rebuild the fuel pump. these are all cheap fixes that can cause fuel flow problems. then the jets in the card could be stopped up. then you'll need to clean the carb. 

my brother and brother n law went partners on a 65 hp evenrude and a boat. the motor had set for some time. we went to dale hollow and the motor started right up and ran good at slow speed. but give it throttle and it died. I tore the carb down and the high speed jets was fully clogged. I took a piece of small wire and cleaned the jets out and it ran great.

Thanks for all the help,  I am leaning towards getting a new motor;  I had  this motor at a Marina for 8 weeks 

and they couldn't figure it out.  I wasn't to impressed with the Marina and the way they handled the whole event.

I won't say who they are but wouldn't recommend going there unless its to change plugs and lower gear oil.

I talked to Hank at L&M and he won't touch these motors and I appreciate him being honest on this.  Wish the 

other Marina was as trustworthy.

you probably don't need a new motor. do the things I suggested first. if that doesn't work hook the boat up and take it to another marina even if you have to tow it to a bigger town. I have a 115 hp old merc 6 cylinder. I let it set foe 2 1/2 yrs. when I did take it out it didnt want to run at idle. I took it to the marina and they rebuilt the carbs. they charger over 400.00. took it back out and when I put it in gear it died. it wasnt fixed. took it back and they worked on the carbs again. charged me 268.00 and said it was fixed. took it back out and it did the same thing. took it back and it costed me over 1000.00 that time and they said it was fixed again. took it to fl to do some saltwater fishing. it ran ok for about 10 minutes then started dying on me. this time its worse than it was to start with. im not going to that marina again so they can rip me off again. next spring i'll take it to a different marina and see if they can fix it. I invested over 1700.00 in a 1200.00 or 1400.00 motor and it is worse than it was before I even took it to the shop.

Not change your mind and if a new motor is in the budget by all means it’s a nice way to ensure it will run when I need it to. However for just a check, when you say compression is good, what’s that mean? >120 in each cylinder with less than 5% deviation between any of the cylinders? Also someone suggested carb rebuild. Not sure if the ECM or DFI is hosed but there are shops across the US that work on these based on what the faults are. Google the motor if you haven’t already. There is a evinrude shop on Seneca and up in Ontario that are good. Hope you make out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I think the 1999 225 is fuel injected so rebuilding the carbs are out of the question... I definitely would start by looking at the simple fuel problems (pump, filter) before I bought something else. I ran a 150 for years and it never left me on the lake.

If its not reliable I don't want anything to do with it on Lake O.  A new motor or new-er good running motor otherwise you are just going to be someone else's problem when you expect a tow.  a 20 year old known to be problematic motor with issues that can't be solved and mechanics that won't touch it!?.   I can't run fast enough.  On this lake, better to have a small reliable boat with small HP than a large POS with a bigger HP POS.

Edited by Fat Trout