Well, not sure what happened today. Went 1 for 3. When we went in to get the fish cleaned, seemed like most folks we talked to took 4 to 6 per boat. Lots of fish boated around us between 5pm-6:30pm, just north of the river in 90-105 FOW. Just not us:)

Our 17#, while the only one, was quite the adventure. My Dad just set a white PT with a Halo down 80 in 126 FOW not quite halfway between the river and the plant when the left rear rigger fires - and by fire I mean bobs once and then snaps the 40# mono like a bad guitar string. He picks up the rod, brings in the bit on line remaining, and just as he's doing that, the just set outside left rear rigger fires (maybe 10 seconds apart). Picks it up, and starts playing the fish. About 3/4 of the way in he says he sees the fish. I say no, it's a board.

He keeps cranking, a what do you know - it's the SD and fly that just broke off - wrapped about 20 feet long down the line with the fish. He cuts the SD free, but has no way to untangle the nightmare that's left, so the rest of the way he has to hand line it in. He gets the fish within about 20 feet of the boat, the fish heads for the other two riggers and lines out. With no way to leverage the fish, I cut the boat as hard as I can towards the fish, spinning 6 or 7 low speed 360s before he gets the fish up to the back of the boat. We must have looked like slow motion lunatics to the boats nearby.

While mostly spent, the fish decides to slowly start to work around one of the rigger cables. Don't know how the line didn't snap, but I slide the net under the about to be hopelessly tangled fish and snatch it up, held it just out of the water until Dad got everything untangled, then hauled it aboard. Should have lost that fish about 8 different times, but we didn't. Chock it up as a decent fish, a beautiful day on the water, and a great fish story!

Heading back out for round three in the morning... 20180902_162714.jpg20180902_191413.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2