Dipsey leaders

A main reason I use the 40 mono rather than fluoro for this particular thing is that the mono has a little stretch which is desirable here when using wire which has none. I used to use fluoro but found that it is less forgiving, and brittle - especially in cold weather .I've never had one of these setups break but I have with fluoro. Just a preference issue I guess.

Edited by Sk8man

Justin makes a good point....(as usual):smile: Kings do put A lot of instantaneous pressure on that particular part of the set-up along with the fly leader (50 lb Big Game on my own hand tied flies instead of fluoro).

Edited by Sk8man

7 hours ago, hookedupf7 said:

My drags were set as loose as I could get them so they didn’t let line out trolling. The last shot we took yesterday ran out to 450 in a blink of an eye and broke the wire. Not sure what the heck happened there. 

A couple things: first - the wire breaking suggests that either you had an undetected kink or bad connection depending on where the break occurred, or the drag was set too tight and the sudden stress from the run on a weak spot broke it, OR the "sticky' drag possibility. You may want to closely examine that particular reels drag and/or replace the drag washers. Normally the drag setting should be slightly tight enough to prevent line from going out but if too loose and a fish hits and the drag plays out freely it can create loose slack or an incomplete hook-up from lack of enough resistance to fully set the hook creating a "hit and run" situation with no fish.

Edited by Sk8man

8 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

50# Seaguar.  It is a cheap insurance policy to go heavier than 30lb.  The line thickness does nothing to affect the action or bite so why wouldn't you?

👍👍👍

just loosen your drags a little. we went to south haven some yrs back and used 8# trilene line. wanted to see if we got more hits with light line. we caught several fish but took forever to bring them to the boat. we had the drags set for 8# line and didnt have any break offs. if your drag is set right you shouldn't have any break offs.

• Like 1

If your aren't using snubbers invest in them. I have never had a fish break me off.

When you are fighting the fish just let them run, don't jerk back on the rod, it is hard for us anglers who spin fish not to want to set the hook, the wire doesn't give so the line will, I have had rookies on my boat attempt to set the hook on a fish after the dipsey went off and rip the hook out of the fish.

you are hunting staggers now, they are mean and big, expect to loose fish and gear unless you up your line as previously recommended.

Set your wire so it will still click out even when you only take the slightest turn

Edited by saugeendrifter
  • Like 1

You can also set the reel drag so that it "clicks out" line while trolling, and then attach a pinch pad type release on the line between the reel and the 1st guide on the rod. The pinch pad release is tethered to the base of the rod holder. The pinch pad should be attached so that minimal force is required to pull it from the wire line. When a fish hits, the wire is pulled through/off the pinch pad, and the reel drag is set light enough that the initial hit and run can be survived. The pinch pad falls off the line, but is caught by the tether. 

There are lots of differing opinions on snubbers. I like them. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, relaxer said:

Wire dipsey to flasher - 8lb line and no break offs?

yes we used 8# trilene xl and never had a break off. but we only used it on one trip as it took forever to bring a fish in. we also cleared one side of the boat before the fish was brought to the boat. a nice 18# to 20# fish would make some awesome runs on the light line. I know a lot of you guys thinks what an idiot that guy is for running 8# line for kings. but we just wanted to see if we got more hits on the light line. but we spent so much time getting the fish in and only fishing on the side we didnt clear. we couldn't tell if we got more hits.

I use 30# braid for fishing for big black drum in saltwater and I've had them take a lot of line but never had one just break off. I have had a couple of rods break and I've had them get into something around the bridge we fish and cut my line. but fishing open water for salmon they can make long runs and not hurt anything.

• Like 1