Mexico Labor Day weekend

Balls of steel? Really? Are those fish really worth losing a life over?  I don't want to piss anybody off here but when are people gonna learn this lake does not play well with others. I know its hard if you only can fish on weekends but get a boat big enough for the conditions or fish on days the wave report is favorable. If you push your luck on this lake you will get bit. Just hate reading all too often about people fishing here with 17 ft boats in 4 or 5 ft waves.  And believe me the weather report can be misleading so be prepared.  Please be safe everyone.

• Like 3

That's being smart Low baller. Not everybody is.  Im retired so I'm lucky I can pick my days.  I know what its like to travel here and have the pressure to get on the lake no matter what the conditions.  Theres no excuse to lose a boat due to rough water.  Don't be out there if you're not comfortable.  And for gods sake don't take your kids. Good luck to everyone and please use good judgement.  You have to make it back to fish another day.

11 minutes ago, hookedupf7 said:

Ha I didn’t think it looked the same as the kings. It looked real silver compared to the kings but I wasn’t sure. Now I don’t feel so bad that you guys are arguing 

I say its a coho but in the end we are all on our computers or phones drinking beer and analyzing photos lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Trout said:

Its a coho on the left, possibly a small king. The tail looks forked because of the angle of the tail to the camera.  The head is def. not an atlantic.  

Look at the anal fin, dead giveaway for an Atlantic.

http://www.wofgpa.org/Z_Fish_Identification.pdf

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rookie fisherman said:

Loom at the chart attached.

Its an Atlantic 

http://www.wofgpa.org/Z_Fish_Identification.pdf

With good fun intended and having fished Lake O and the rivers for quite a while.....I'd bet my house its a coho ;)   But hey, thats why fishing reports are fun!  And to the OP....I'm sure it was a fun fish and looks to be over the 25" for an atlantic so enjoy either way!

They call Cohos "silvers" for a reason....they are pretty silverish. There are no sparce large dark spottings on the gill plate or "X" or "comma" shaped spots on the body on that fish on the left which an Atlantic should have. It isn't real clear from the pic, but the area around the mouth looks greyish. If with the greying on edges whitish inside mouth (base of gums) and not black except tongue- Coho. Can't see the adipose or tail spotting clearly enough in the pic to tell anything, nor can the rays in the anal fin be counted. If the area around and in the mouth itself is actually black including the tongue it would be a king rather than the other two choices. Be aware also that there have been suspicions from time to time that there may be crossovers between the Chinooks and Cohos. Coho tail spotting is usually confined to the upper half of the tail. Usually the tail of the Coho is more squared off than forked but as said above it can depend on the way it is being held too, and same can be said of the anal fin which looks longer but could be distorted by the hand. My guess is immature king (which can still be quite silver) but without actually seeing the inside of the mouth and the tail spotting etc. the pic is a bit ambiguous.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2