Lake Ontario Smallmouth fishing

copperpin

Ok Ladies and Gents,  It's been a long time since I targeted smallmouth in Lake O.  The last time I was out was when you could still use crabs and minnows and drift fish for them.  So I am wondering if anyone still targets them and generally how deep are you going.  Are you drop shotting for them or using bait and how deep do you have to go to get out of the gobie zone.  I am looking to go out of Sandy or Ibay and maybe hit the Wautoma Shoals or head east towards Ginna.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

I used to do the same as you but found last few years that I have had to travel further east to get into them to the point it’s fun and not a struggle to find them. The past few years I have been fishing Oswego, Mexico, Chamont and having to drop shot them. We have found them from 10’ out to 50’ but when you do they are stacked and they aren’t small. I haven’t made the trip yet this season yet but it’s coming soon. The St Lawrence area has been hot from what I have heard but I don’t travel that far. I wish Hedges to Ginna was like it used to be but Gobies and Zebras have changed that up. Pultneyville used to awesome for topwater as well over deep water but that has slowed down as well. Hope this helps and maybe some others have seen it differently and can chime in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get out there? How was it? Last time I fished it was a couple weeks ago for a tournament and got a 19.5 lb bag for 4th place. 1st was near 23lb, Tournament lunker was a 5.35 lber. We fished shallow the whole day, as in 10-12ft, sometimes shallower. All fish from 12 boats weighed in were smallmouth. Most guys were fishing deep but if they are shallow I'll always opt for that instead. It was a good testament to the smallie fishing being alive and well despite what plenty of people on this board have claimed. 

No I haven't had a chance to get out.  Family illness has got me stuck at home.  Maybe this weekend.  Of  course the salmon are hitting the streams and archery starts on Monday.  I need 36 hour days. lol  Where did you go out of?