Orleans County Fishing Report for September 4, 2018

This week's fishing report is from Capt. John Oravec of Tightlines Charters, September 4, 2018. 

From a tired Captain, the day after Labor Day...

Fish on and Happy Labor Day from everyone at Orleans County Tourism, the Fishing Fleet and the supporting area merchants that make coming to the "Oak" the top Great Lakes Fishing Package again this year!

Whether you are a local fisher-person going out for a couple of hours of great fishing with our famous sunsets or one of the out-of-state rigs I see every day slipping out the harbor at sunrise - go get 'em!  Weather systems typical for Labor Day week have repositioned the thermocline from 25 to 40 down early in the week to 70 feet down over the weekend.

More boats had good luck in the mid water, i.e. 150 to 250 feet of water (FOW)....another hot spot developed in 50 to 70 FOW west from Johnson's to Chrome Dome. (Remember, mature river-bound kings, browns and coho sniff out duckweed lines and Johnson Creek can be a strong drawing force.)  JUST A NOTE ABOUT THE  CURRENT NOW: THE RIP IS PUSHING FROM NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST SO WATCH YOUR GROUND SPEED ON ANY KIND OF WEST TROLL. IF FISH AREN'T LOOKING AT AND HITTING YOUR SPREAD, THROW OUT THE BAG!  THEN, WHEN ON THE EAST TROLL, THROTTLE UP WATCH YOUR GPS SPEED AND MAKE THE RODS POP! THIS CAPT HASN'T CHANGED LURE COLORS IN A MONTH (300 fish later). I focus on speed, vary lead lengths, use flouro-carbon line and stealth spreads. It matters!

Click here to see the rest of this report on ILoveNYFishing.com.