2018 Targa V-18

ERoice

Just purchased this Targa 5 days ago, I mainly fish The Great Sacandaga, but I plan on taking a few trips out to the O every now and again.

I haven't set it up for trolling yet , but I'm thinking of getting the Traxstech tracks, and going that route with downriggers and planer boards.

I was wondering if anyone has pictures of how their Targa is set up , so I have something to go by, or at least take some ideas from since this is my first fishing boat I'm setting up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Those are the Traxtech tracks and we bolted them down only because I did get the Versatrack brackets and everything was bouncing around which made me very nervous. It required some work taking the side panels off but I used short sections cause of the rod lockers. Maybe by now they have come up with a more beefy bracket to mount the track to

• Like 1

A buddy of mine tried using the versa-track on his G3 for cannon high speed riggers.  He bought the rigger mounts and used them once, and thought the whole rig was going for a swim.  No amount of tightening the screws into the track helped.  He bought Bert's track and through bolted it.  Way more secure, and absolutely no bouncing around when the 12lb weights move up, down or stop at the top.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2102 Targa 18 that I use to run on Lake Ontario until I upgraded this past season.

The issue with track systems on the Targa is the rod locker access on the top of the gunwale is in the way.

As others have said I would not mount the down riggers on the Versatrack system. Thru-bolt them with a backer plate. 

The Versatrack system is fine for rod holders though. I had a Big Jon triple holder mounted in the Versatrack with no problems.

IMG_0795 2.JPG

I have a 2102 Targa 18 that I use to run on Lake Ontario until I upgraded this past season.
The issue with track systems on the Targa is the rod locker access on the top of the gunwale is in the way.
As others have said I would not mount the down riggers on the Versatrack system. Thru-bolt them with a backer plate. 
The Versatrack system is fine for rod holders though. I had a Big Jon triple holder mounted in the Versatrack with no problems.

304100706_IMG_07952.thumb.JPG.79306c1c1cc5aa3392d40eb80d511ff2.JPG
Nice, thank you. I didnt think that I'd be able to get the backer plate in there. Not without killing the back of the rod lockers at least.

On 9/10/2018 at 10:03 AM, ERoice said:

The access is definitely going to be tricky. I might be able to get there through my rod lockers.

The side panels just above the back platform are held on with 6 screws. Once removed access is easy.

Edited by rookie fisherman

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased the same exact boat and was trying to figure out the same thing with mounting tracks. I’m going to start a new thread that involves mounting a Merc 9.9 kicker and the downriggers with tracks. The versatrack setup would have been may less invasive and simpler. Small world someone else was trying to solve this also!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

using brocraft,

I leave  one of the 4 machine screws out between the dr base and the brocraft unit,  then find where you want it and I put a 3'' #8 stainless drill bit screw w/ hexhead thru the

base and the brocraft unit into the aluminum gunnel.  it becomes rock solid.

good luck

coach

I had a 2011 Targa V18.  Through bolt the riggers with a backing plate after taking off the side panels, which is easy.  I bought these rod holders that go in the track system.  They are super sturdy and you can still access the rod lockers.  I dont have the boat anymore but still have 2 of the rod holders if you are interested.

07302014 - Ontario Port Bay - Liz brown.jpg

07302014 - Ontario Port Bay - New rodholders.jpg