Experience with fishingbigstore.com?

KeithVT

Came across this site. seems too good to be true, BUT they process payments with PayPal, and Paypal has buyer protections. The company clearly ships from China, but are selling name brand (and lesser known name brand like the entire line of Cisco rod holders, planer motors, boards, etc.) fishing gear for often 50% less than elsewhere. I am skeptical, especially based on the fact the items ship from china, but I also know that most of this stuff comes from china anyway. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

Edited by KeithVT

There is no “the local guy” for me I live in central vt. We don’t have stores that cater to trolling unless I drive an hour, and no one around here sells the sort of stuff that I’m looking for. The “local guy” for similar products is fishusa and walleyetacklestore both online as well. As for shipping back, I wouldn’t buy anything expensive without buying something cheap first. I was going to buy a Magda reel which for $32 would not be a loss if it were a knock off. But figured I would see if anyone had experience with them.

Seeing they are affiliated with paypal I would prolly be ok with a purchase from them. You can always contact paypal and make sure they really are affiliated and see if they have had any issues dealing with them. I've had pretty good luck with paypal customer service.

3 hours ago, rolmops said:

They may be cheaper, but the local guy usually has the better service

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I agree with rollmops. We need to buy from locals. I always try to buy from locals even if its a little more. we need to keep the mom and pop stores open or we will all be shopping at walmart!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fishnut said:

I agree with rollmops. We need to buy from locals. I always try to buy from locals even if its a little more. we need to keep the mom and pop stores open or we will all be shopping at walmart!!

While I do agree with this and do make a lot of purchases locally, it's hard to deny that website isn't very tempting... 25-28 days shipping time obviously ruins things a little bit. The 50% off over $500 sale right now is insane if it is a legit site! 4 Tekota 600s prespooled with wire for $280 after the discount... thats $70 a reel, $70 won't even get you a Magda reel spooled with wire!

• Like 1

Two thumbs up on trying to check on a unknown fishing website to see if it's legitimate. There's been scam site that will sell you/ us a item ,ship it to you at low cost price take Paypal as a payment a week later you'll get an email saying sorry we could not fill this order we refunded your PayPal minus five dollars for for processing. Now you are out your time and a little bit of your money. You chalk it up for a bad experience they pocket your five bucks and do that 2 million other people. The old saying if it's too good to be true probably not true..

for the local mom-and-pop bait shops I find they don't carry Lake Ontario products around me anyways and I can't blame them that's a lot of inventory to carry .

up around Lake Ontario you go to fat Nancy's screwy louies you might pay a little more but you walk out the door with exactly what you want.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

There is another reason why I do not like the goods that are shipped from China. It is the postage price. 

The Chinese businessman  buys a stamp to pay for the shipping and the cost of it is cheaper than mailing local in town in the USA. That is because the "Last Mile " cost ( the inside the USA shipping) is carried by the USPS while they never receive any compensation for this service. This is because of antiquated postal legislation on international mail. What it means is that the USPS is in fact subsidizing mail order imports from China. This is unfair competition.

• Like 1

C'mon. You know if it looks too good to be true, then it isn't. Follow your gut on this one. How would these guys even get access to some of the stuff they're selling? "Fishing Big Store is a company specialized in selling all kinds of equipment needed by fishermen, especially those who like fishing." Really? How many fishermen do you know who don't like fishing? They've plastered a bunch of words on their site so it's the top hit in a Google search, absconded some other site's inventory so it looks legit, cut the price, and they're baiting YOU. I doubt that the PayPal site they send you to is even real...and then they have your PayPal access information. Or something like that. This is an internet scam at it's finest. And untold hours of grief for anyone falling for it. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Just an FYI, I looked at their inventory and couldn't find a single item that had actually been rated by a buyer, even though they have an online rating system. Odd, right? I think they may have missed that trick.

16 hours ago, nhjim said:

forwarded there website to paypal that will check them out and see if their legit or a scam will pass along when i hear back.

👍👍👍

I'm curious to see how this pans out. Might be a Chinese based/owned, but bought into a warehouse or has accounts with various distributors. Hopefully it's a legit business!
I understand doing local business, but when they never stock what you want, sorry, I order.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Indonesian company by the looks of it.  Website is only about 6 months old.  I would be wary.

WHOIS search results

Domain Name: FISHINGBIGSTORE.COM 
Registry Domain ID: 2234358372_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN 
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.resellerid.com 
Registrar URL: http://www.resellerid.com 
Updated Date: 2018-03-02T13:14:33Z 
Creation Date: 2018-03-02T12:59:46Z 
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-03-02T12:59:46Z 
Registrar: PT ARDH GLOBAL INDONESIA 
Registrar IANA ID: 1503 
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: 
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: 
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited 
Name Server: SERVER1.FISHINGBIGSTORE.COM 
Name Server: SERVER2.FISHINGBIGSTORE.COM 
DNSSEC: unsigned 
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/ 
>>> Last update of whois database: 2018-09-13T13:04:13Z <<< 

Item is showing as shipped in the system as of Thursday. Waiting to see if anything ever arrives. The site says 25 business days when u choose free shipping. So that means I’m still 4 weeks out on the item. PayPal allows me 180 days from order to file a dispute, and banking rules also will cover me as the extracted delivery time will be inside the dispute window there as well. I think even if the reel is a Chinese knockoff, it will still be a decent deal, as I can’t imagine it possible to build a Lc reel much cheaper than the Magda series already is haha

• 3 weeks later...