Manual downriggers

Sly41985

Looking at possible getting 2 manual downriggers. Weve never used them before, was just wondering which ones are worth buying. We fish primarily walleye/pike/muskies/bass. Would like to get into salmon/trout. So would like a rigger that could do it all. Also what would be a decent downrigger rod/reel combo? Thanks for all the help! I do appreciate it.

I started with Scotty manuals in the early 90's. Spool on top made cranking easy and two foot retrieve per rotation made them faster to bring up than other brands. Trouble free until I upgraded to the electrics.Don't miss the manuals LOL

As far as rod and reels go it depends on your budget and what you will be fishing for

Edited by spoonfed-1

any of the big name riggers in good shape wsill work for you, cannon, big jon, penn, scotty, and I don't know about walker manuals. I have big jon electric and just love then. penn makes a awesome manual that I like. manuals are going to cost you 100.00 to 150.00 each. you can get used electric for around 225.00 to 250.00 each. I used manuals for 30 yrs then when I got to old to crank them up I bought electric. I've kicked my rear end for not getting electric yrs ago

you can check them all out on ebay  if you don't find what you want on here. 

Edited by sherman brown
add info

Thanks for all of the help fellas i do appreciate it! 

id be using the downriggers for browns, pike, walleye, muskies, id like to get into salmon but i do not have the other equipment for that. So as far as rod/reel combo something that could possible cover most of that

Irish buoy i send you a text message! 

I figured i could buy manuals and have them for our smaller boat once i buy electric onse in a few years. Again thanks for all the help! 

• Like 1

Sorry must have missed the txt. but listen, I am heading to Florida in October, gettting out of the big Lake fishing I have tons of everything to go I can set you up witheverything at rock bottom prices. LOL Summers I just fish the St. Lawrence now. I dont know where you are located but I am in Clayton call me take a ride over and I'll show you what I have. sounds like a drug deal, believe me in a way it is. LOL