Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

Of the three guys that I know hunted tonight, not one saw a buck. I had six doe and two yearlings pass by yesterday morning, but nothing in the evening. All signs point toward it being ready. The next three weeks should be mayhem.

I had one of the most exciting Hunt's I've had in a while yesterday in Yates Co. on my land . I got to watch a big black bear for 45 minutes while he bedded stretched scratched and yauned! He's much larger than the one I took a few years ago closest he came was 45 yards. Got some more good pics too. Our big boys just aren't walking during the day yet.5679.jpegIMG_20181020_185223334.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Things are heating up in last week cams w shooters on daytime/afternoon matures on scrapes as well as mature does Saw the biggest buck (drop tine) ive had on cam all summer on new to me 311 acres yesterday 750 am tearing up a tree 211 yards in crp feild light tickle on the antlers brought him 50 yards behind stand in thicket could nt move last night had 2 first racks a 2.5 n broken 3 year old pushing doe around im just as fired up as they are 20181021_181641.thumb.jpg.0ed9f67ba6642d4e042c346d56544152.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Its starting to get interesting out there. My good buddy shot this war horse on Saturday morning in 8w. Right around 8:30 he threw out a few doe bleats followed by a deep grunt and this guy came in on a string. Made a scrap on his way down the hill and gave my buddy a perfect quartering away shot at 7 yards. It's only the beginning, I love this time of year!20181020_110039.jpg20181020_103751.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Between the hefty body deer earlier in this thread and this monster with heavy horns. I am really liking what I am seeing in your areas. Congrats to those that were successful!!!

I can't get out until gun season (mostly due to no longer bow hunting) but it is really nice to see others have success!!!

I had lots of activity the last 40 mins last night and the first 40 mins this am. Little bucks chasing and grunting up a storm. Also camera daytime activity picked up.

Fishslime9 Congrats to your buddy that’s a beautiful buck

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I hunted an older hang-on last night, and when I lowered my bow back to the ground realized that one of the side cables was broken. I'm sure it wasn't like that when I got into the stand. Potentially a dangerous situation, but I was strapped in and attached to a lifeline from the ground up. Good reminder to be safe. 

No deer.

Really windy Sunday am in 8M and no movement. 5pm and a pair of doe came through with a six point trailing closely behind, hot for the larger of the two. They passed eighty yards out but the smaller came my way and gave me a shot, tracking right to left in my blind. Looks like she stopped about five feet too far to the left...

2018-10-21 17.35.41.jpg

• Like 2

Really windy Sunday am in 8M and no movement. 5pm and a pair of doe came through with a six point trailing closely behind, hot for the larger of the two. They passed eighty yards out but the smaller came my way and gave me a shot, tracking right to left in my blind. Looks like she stopped about five feet too far to the left...

267164422_2018-10-2117_35_41.thumb.jpg.690f1606f50f6d17bbf856df0676626a.jpg

My first time ever bow hunting was out of a blind. Had 3 big does come in front of me at 15 yards. I pulled backed and just popped up enough for my sight pins to be on her. When I released the arrow I couldn’t figure out what the hell happened. Then I looked down. I did the same exact thing. The arrow sits lower then my sights - lesson learned

'Bout Time
Mike

Younger boys birthday tomorrow, heading out in the am. Wind looks fun and should be a great morning.
Hope one of us gets to see something cool.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:11 PM, Bosun Cowboy said:

Easton Full metal jacket and a standard muzzy 100 will eliminate this issue also.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you hit the shoulder socket straight on, nothing will penetrate.  Its not a fixed blade vs expandable debate with a shot like that, its a simple fact.   I have seen a 12 gauge slug fired from 30 yards dead broadside hit that shoulder knuckle and run straight up through the neck of a deer and out the cheek.   Its only a tennis ball sized spot, and unfortunately you were just a few inches forward on your shot my man.    That deer has nothing but a stiff shoulder today, you just might get another crack at him.   Remember a liver or double lung just as deadly as heart shot, so stay away from that shoulder!   Good luck.

Walked my entire property in 8F. Found good runs but zero runs and no scrapes.

Activity starting to pick up down in 7R with bucks seen during daylight and some scrapes opening up.

Home in 7A not much going on yet. Everything still nocturnal with not much sign

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Just stuck a giant at 900. 40 yard shot, chest, 9 inch penetration, good blood the first 15 yards. After I shot he charged hard. Then believe I watched him walk away wagging his tail violently. I backed out now I’m going crazy. Any advice??

• Like 1

Just stuck a giant at 900. 40 yard shot, chest, 9 inch penetration, good blood the first 15 yards. After I shot he charged hard. Then believe I watched him walk away wagging his tail violently. I backed out now I’m going crazy. Any advice??

If he was wagging his tail violently then you got him. Good job congrats! Id go trail him up or wait another hour or 2 if your that nervous about it. Id go get him now though its been over 2hrs he should be dead.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nothing wrong with waiting!! Its extremely hard, believe me I know because it has burned me in the past! If you did not see him go down, I would give it time. If your confident in your shot, go wrap your hands around that son b!+ch!! And post some pics. I'm chomping at the bit to get out of work!

Sounds like possibly a one lunger. Fight those nerves and wait him out....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app