Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

Great bucks!

I'm chomping at the bit with this rain, but it's hard enough to recover an animal under perfect conditions. I took yesterday off and saw bunches of doe at our lease in the morning, as well as bunches of farm equipment when they came in to clean up the soybean fields. The evening had me in Scottsville, and what looked to be a perfect sit in a fresh stand ended up a bust. The past three years have been really disappointing on my buddy's property there. I don't know whether building near the road or nuisance permits or what is making an impact, but man, it's not even close to what it was the first ten years he owned the property.

Hey guys looking for a little advice. Shot a real nice one this morning as the rain was starting which forces me to track him right away. had good blood for a few hundred yards but ended up losing blood through the rain and to the deep of a swamp. I would have to assume him going that far I missed all vitals but the blood was rather decent the whole way. I want to say the shot may have been high and forwarded. I suppose I will let him sit check again in the morning in that general area

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Tboo said:

I did have some spots deep into the tracking that were significantly more patches of blood.

That's probably where he lay down to die. Because of the rain, you pushed him. Even though it might seem counter-intuitive, it's more important than normal when it's raining to give the animal time to expire, I've lost one like that, which is why I won't hunt in the rain anymore. Good luck with the recovery. Swamps are tough, rain or no. I really do hope you find him. If you need to mobilize a posse to look, pm me. I'm in.

Edited by Gator

2 hours ago, Tboo said:

I want to say the shot may have been high and forwarded. I suppose I will let him sit check again in the morning in that general area

How far did the arrow penetrate?  Base of the neck has lots of non-vital areas of muscle only. If that is where you hit him and the arrow fell out, he probably will live. 

Hey guys looking for a little advice. Shot a real nice one this morning as the rain was starting which forces me to track him right away. had good blood for a few hundred yards but ended up losing blood through the rain and to the deep of a swamp. I would have to assume him going that far I missed all vitals but the blood was rather decent the whole way. I want to say the shot may have been high and forwarded. I suppose I will let him sit check again in the morning in that general area

Ah man sorry to hear that. Hope you find him tomorrow. If you need help send a pm I’ll be there. Doesn’t sound good. Raining like a mofo. How far did you track him? Did you loose blood? I’d say definitely call the dogs in. Let us know what happens!