Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

I've mentioned quite a few times on this forum about "low impact hunting" on my property and really trying to hunt smarter and stay out of my core areas until the weather was right or the rut had started. In fact I hadn't even set foot on 2/3 of my property until yesterday and today when I hunted my honey hole stand in between a core bedding area and my sanctuary. Bucks have typically cruised this corridor in late October/November and the past two days were no different.

Yesterday (11/4) was the top bow hunt I've ever had after seeing 10 different bucks, 35-40 doe, chasing and grunting galore, a button buck trying to mount a small doe and essentially being surrounded by deer from sun up til dusk. It was truly an epic day.

I went back to my same stand today given the favorable south wind  and action I had yesterday and although I had a bit of a late start getting on stand past first light it was still a great day. About 45 minutes in, this nice solid 8 passed me broadside at 20 yards. I hit him a little farther back than I wanted but he just stood there and gently walked away limping a bit as if nothing has happened. Thinking the worst - i.e a gut shot - I backed out. Then it started pouring so I went back to mark the blood trail just a bit and I was astounded at the amount of blood on the forest floor. I trailed it for about 20 yards until I saw him piled up only 40-50 yards from where I shot him. I sliced his liver, somehow missed all bowel and stomach, and destroyed a large vessel which resulted in tremendous arterial bleeding. The blood trail looked as if someone had painted an 18" red line using a paint roller.

The body was huge and nicely rutted up in the neck area. Extremely healthy deer absolutely loaded with fat....my guess is a 3.5 yr old, but maybe only 2.5.....

Congrats to all who have harvested thus far and thanks to everyone who have posted. Be safe in the field

Chris

150953492_012(2).thumb.JPG.188d5ef255c289e8aac26527a80ccfb9.JPG1997039619_006(2).thumb.JPG.e50c7c73ba4d87170e5e78a0a7082bcb.JPG043.thumb.JPG.237eb562676e539422762739d1b4a0ea.JPG067.thumb.JPG.44ba41e20eec01cb26db18ec92ee7dca.JPG091.thumb.JPG.ed16ae26caa9b06711a3aafae30835c8.JPG

• Like 2

I've mentioned quite a few times on this forum about "low impact hunting" on my property and really trying to hunt smarter and stay out of my core areas until the weather was right or the rut had started. In fact I hadn't even set foot on 2/3 of my property until yesterday and today when I hunted my honey hole stand in between a core bedding area and my sanctuary. Bucks have typically cruised this corridor in late October/November and the past two days were no different.

Yesterday (11/4) was the top bow hunt I've ever had after seeing 10 different bucks, 35-40 doe, chasing and grunting galore, a button buck trying to mount a small doe and essentially being surrounded by deer from sun up til dusk. It was truly an epic day.

I went back to my same stand today given the favorable south wind  and action I had yesterday and although I had a bit of a late start getting on stand past first light it was still a great day. About 45 minutes in, this nice solid 8 passed me broadside at 20 yards. I hit him a little farther back than I wanted but he just stood there and gently walked away limping a bit as if nothing has happened. Thinking the worst - i.e a gut shot - I backed out. Then it started pouring so I went back to mark the blood trail just a bit and I was astounded at the amount of blood on the forest floor. I trailed it for about 20 yards until I saw him piled up only 40-50 yards from where I shot him. I sliced his liver, somehow missed all bowel and stomach, and destroyed a large vessel which resulted in tremendous arterial bleeding. The blood trail looked as if someone had painted an 18" red line using a paint roller.

The body was huge and nicely rutted up in the neck area. Extremely healthy deer absolutely loaded with fat....my guess is a 3.5 yr old, but maybe only 2.5.....

Congrats to all who have harvested thus far and thanks to everyone who have posted. Be safe in the field

Chris

150953492_012(2).thumb.JPG.188d5ef255c289e8aac26527a80ccfb9.JPG1997039619_006(2).thumb.JPG.e50c7c73ba4d87170e5e78a0a7082bcb.JPG043.thumb.JPG.237eb562676e539422762739d1b4a0ea.JPG067.thumb.JPG.44ba41e20eec01cb26db18ec92ee7dca.JPG091.thumb.JPG.ed16ae26caa9b06711a3aafae30835c8.JPG

Congrats! Id definitely say 3.5

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

26 minutes ago, windburn said:

Great buck Doc. Mind if I ask what broadhead you using? Gotta love bloodtrails you can follow without stooping.

Muzzy fixed blade 3 blade - 100 grain

Thanks a million!!!

Beautiful buck! Low impact hunting nets rewards. In my case, so does pure dumb luck :lol:. I wish our property was more amenable to "sanctuaries", but even low impact access is mainly unrealistic. And when I bought the property, it was for the sole purpose of having somewhere to take my buddies hunting, so chances are somebody is going to stick a deer sooner rather than later. Regardless of whether success is the result of careful season-long planning or the proverbial blind squirrel finding a nut, I am constantly reminded that this is a beautiful game we play.

46 minutes ago, Gator said:

Regardless of whether success is the result of careful season-long planning or the proverbial blind squirrel finding a nut, I am constantly reminded that this is a beautiful game we play.

Sometimes it may seem like dumb luck but most of the time it is hard work that gets us there. The rut reminds us every year how quickly things can happen and usually in a blink of an eye. I have had two great encounters this year so far and all i needed was "one more step" and I would have let an arrow fly. Better than a game of chess!

Chris

Awesome Buck! Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Finished voting. Had a nice breakfast with the Mrs then waited for rain to push out changing the wind to S. On way to stand just now there was a long spike chasing big momma hard. Had to tuck into some goldenrod until they moved on. Game on!

2 minutes ago, JakeyBaby said:

Nothing worse then being at work when you scheduled to be off and in a tree. Moving two days to next week when the temps drop. Back in a tree Thursday.

You could have missed an afternoon hunt on a very limited schedule to take your wife to the orthopedic surgeon after she fell in the driveway and broke her arm.  I also missed Saturdays evening hunt with my son because I had to force her to go to urgent care!