Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

My wife and I cut up our own, due to years of getting deer back and every time I went to cook venison I needed to clean the silver skin off and bone fragments.

She shot a decent body 4 point Sunday dressed it was 110 lbs. and boned out we got just short of 60 lbs. of meat, I still need to trim most of it so guessing from that buck we will get 40-50 lbs. of very clean meat. No pork added either.

Here's the follow up. I made a call to the processor and voiced my concern. He was very responsive and checked with his employee who'd processed the deer. He conveyed to me that there needed to be a bunch of trimming done because neither the rectum nor the bladder had been removed during field dressing, which resulted in the lowered yield and may have contributed to the "smelly" pieces. 

I don't see how he'd benefit from not telling the truth, and I'm not arrogant enough to believe that I can't make mistakes, but I'm still somewhat skeptical. The broadhead was broken off in the deer and I was being very careful to get everything out while not cutting myself. I used a bone saw to split the pelvis. Pequod and I even had a conversation about relative merits of different ways to remove the anus. Most importantly, we both agree that the deer didn't smell bad when we dropped it off.

However, there was lots of blood from the liver shot. It's possible that I missed something? Maybe the broadhead nicked the bladder while I was removing the intestine? Would that contaminate it so much? I know the stomach and gut were intact. I guess overall I'm unconvinced, since even if the bladder and anus (which I know contained no feces, because I squeezed it all out) were still in the deer, I can't imagine I'd lose twenty pounds of meat. The processor did say that the deer was a giant and his employee was "stunned" that such a poor job had been done in field dressing. As you can likely tell, I'm confused.

The bottom line is that the processor provided a plausible explanation, even if I have trouble believing it based on my own experience, and he offered to process the next deer "on him". I feel like that's a stand-up thing to do. In the end though, I don't think that I'm going to be able to take any more deer to him, but I recognize that reaction may be without merit. Nevertheless...

31 minutes ago, Gator said:

Here's the follow up. I made a call to the processor and voiced my concern. He was very responsive and checked with his employee who'd processed the deer. He conveyed to me that there needed to be a bunch of trimming done because neither the rectum nor the bladder had been removed during field dressing, which resulted in the lowered yield and may have contributed to the "smelly" pieces. 

I don't see how he'd benefit from not telling the truth, and I'm not arrogant enough to believe that I can't make mistakes, but I'm still somewhat skeptical. The broadhead was broken off in the deer and I was being very careful to get everything out while not cutting myself. I used a bone saw to split the pelvis. Pequod and I even had a conversation about relative merits of different ways to remove the anus. Most importantly, we both agree that the deer didn't smell bad when we dropped it off.

However, there was lots of blood from the liver shot. It's possible that I missed something? Maybe the broadhead nicked the bladder while I was removing the intestine? Would that contaminate it so much? I know the stomach and gut were intact. I guess overall I'm unconvinced, since even if the bladder and anus (which I know contained no feces, because I squeezed it all out) were still in the deer, I can't imagine I'd lose twenty pounds of meat. The processor did say that the deer was a giant and his employee was "stunned" that such a poor job had been done in field dressing. As you can likely tell, I'm confused.

The bottom line is that the processor provided a plausible explanation, even if I have trouble believing it based on my own experience, and he offered to process the next deer "on him". I feel like that's a stand-up thing to do. In the end though, I don't think that I'm going to be able to take any more deer to him, but I recognize that reaction may be without merit. Nevertheless...

Sounds like an employee had some venison for dinner that night. 

There shouldnt be any reason for back straps to stink bad from a bad gut job if butchered that quickly. I have done my fair share of bad gut jobs and ruined the inner loins, but there is too much separation from gut cavity to back loins to contaminate them in that amount of time in my opinion. Benefit of the doubt to butcher, maybe the deer was injured from a car accident or something that caused an infection to back straps, but it sounds like a bad deal.  

Edited by Kingfisher06

1 hour ago, Gator said:

Keith - it's impossible to leave the anus inside the deer if you cut it out beneath the tail and then pull it inward along with the rectum into the body cavity when it's attached to the large intestine. The bladder is easier to forget as it's attached inside there (it's a yellow/white little bag looking thing often filled with urine) but it's easy to gently free up and remove, although I have certainly spilled a bit of urine from time to time. Did you cut out the anus from the outside, free up all the connective tissue in the anal cavity and pull it back through along with the gut sack? I do not cut through the pelvis, instead I reach my hand in there and free everything up, gently cut it away and pull it though

Chris

Congrats to all who have scored. Only been on stand about 9 times myself and that's gonna double soon with the good weather finally forecasted. Keith get a BUTT OUT..best tool in awhile..comes out clean every time. Great deer and that Doe story is crazy!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Ok, its November 7th my favorite day to be in the deer woods of the year. And, against my better judgment I decided to work and save another day of vacation due to the weather that was predicted for today. What a mistake! That being said for those on stand, hows the action this morning?

Ok, its November 7th my favorite day to be in the deer woods of the year. And, against my better judgment I decided to work and save another day of vacation due to the weather that was predicted for today. What a mistake! That being said for those on stand, hows the action this morning?
Slow for me. 1 spike around 8am and thats it so far

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For those waiting on the name of the processor, I'm not going to throw shade on the guy without clear evidence. As for details of gutting, my method is generally to slice through the trachea and diaphragm, then pull the whole insides out backwards. Then I split the pelvis and carve out the anus. I have a butt-out tool, but generally don't bother since I've never had an issue previously. I honestly don't recall if the bladder had been ruptured (ie, by the broadhead) when I pulled it out, but I'm always careful when splitting the pelvis not to hit it. I've also carved the anus out prior to splitting the pelvis on previous occasions. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I've gutted lots of deer and I even have a video of my doing it for a buddy on Sunday night, so that he could learn and do his own next time (it was his second deer ever). I live by the banner saying on the processor's wall: you leave the a-hole in, you get the a-hole back. Maybe there was an existing injury; that's not an idea that I'd considered. Regardless, it's done. Time to get back to hunting.

• Like 1

Been there done that and had a similar experience with my deer I dropped off a few years ago same thing I felt like I got half the meat back.. I was hesitant on bringing deer somewhere else but I will say log city meats in Dundee will have my car loaded up with meat very pleased with them.. I think 15-20lbs of boneless meat I think I dropped off last year and got something like 14pks of 5 hotdogs 5-6 good size summers sausages and 10 packs of burgers.. great place they do mix with pork

Gator, one thing I do to prevent funk in the body cavity is to work the deer poop up out of the colon into the large intestine before I cut it.  I then do an overhand knot with the intestine to keep the nuggets from spilling out.  Next I will find the bladder in the pelvis and give it a squeeze ( have a bottle handy if you want fresh stuff) to completely empty it. All muscle groups are bound by fascia (silver skin) and therefore not going to be effected by bacteria from gut.  The only thing I can think of is the butcher used a saw not knowing the bladder and some poop was still in there and contaminated some hind quarter with the cut thru???  No clue otherwise.  

November 7 pm

47 degrees
W wind 15-25
Party cloudy

Really wasn't planning on hunting tonight but managed to sneak out for the last hour or so. Never saw a deer until dark and spook another on the way out.
Scrapes are dead. A bunch of chasing on camera. The rubs in the overgrown portion of the field are amazing. Every single sapling is tore up IMG_20181107_162557497.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Turk came through yesterday while I hunted a different property(20-30 mph winds yesterday afternoon and I ran out last minute and other property was closer)
Batteries in cam need to be change pictures are a bit grainy and time is off 1 hour

What a fun hunt this afternoon, sitting on the ground saw 5 doe a spike and had a 4 pt chasing a doe go by me at 15 yds
Then when I left the property I saw a deer starting to cross in front of my Jeep 
I hit the brakes and it’s the Turk 
Eyeball to eyeball with me at 20 yds in my headlights 
He starts to go across as another car is coming the other way I yell noooo and hit the horn the other car breaks and he runs across back onto my side of the road

1732110124_turkcolor1.thumb.JPG.d655ebe1c9e3bc6a23496b3eab8f0207.JPG292722829_turkcolor2.thumb.JPG.40f92c8b8836d3afb5038da9da246dbc.JPG127506266_turkcolor4.thumb.JPG.5369ed94c310e279bed688e2bbd0a83a.JPG

• Like 2