Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

I had multiple small bucks and doe this morning, all creeping around quietly. Something, not me, spooked one of the doe nearly out of her skin. My guess is there’s a big guy locked up with a doe nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Decided to hunt my side yard this morning. Passed a decent buck there Sunday morning, have the week off and was hoping to get a better one. I’ve only killed one other buck with my bow before, years ago, but I’m not interested in taking a young buck. My kids hunt and I’ve taken a bunch of does.
Had doe come through early, followed by a few more flying through. Shortly after I saw the buck to my left, out of range, heading away. I took out my can call and grunt tube and hit them both. I put them down and thought to myself how useless they were. Wrong! He came in to my left on a string. Had no shot till at 30 yards he turned and went south. I had a sharp quartering away shot. I took quick aim and let it fly. I was concerned that as usual I forgot to aim, year ago today missed one because I hurried the shot, but I heard the arrow hit and it sounded like a drum. He walked off with his tail twitching.
I texted my son Tommy and he suggested I get out quietly and that he would meet me at home and we’d go look for it.
On our walk in I said it’s either going to be a great day or a pretty bad one.
We found the arrow and it was covered in blood. I was concerned that there was white hair on the broadhead but off we walked. Not much blood but a little. Very dense red brush but within thirty or forty yards he was piled up.
Not sure who was happier, Tommy or me!!!!
Missed a good one a year ago today. Blessed today with a few more days off to enjoy. Couldn’t be happier.
Not a trophy to many, trophy for me though!
Hope those that have yet to get theirs succeed. Pretty cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

November 8 am

46 degrees
SW wind 10-15
Cloudy

A good number of does and doe fawns seen from the stand this morning. 6-8 of them. Only one rack this morning. He must of been beaded near the stand because he harassed them all as they approached the stand.

IMG_20181104_084620926.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hunted this morning, snuck out, got some paperwork done, and now I am back on stand for the pm. Got in here about two. Got settled into my stand and realized the wind was WNW. Forecast swears it is west. Got down and walked to another stand. Haven't been in this stand other than one other time this season. Fingers crossed.

Decided to hunt my side yard this morning. Passed a decent buck there Sunday morning, have the week off and was hoping to get a better one. I’ve only killed one other buck with my bow before, years ago, but I’m not interested in taking a young buck. My kids hunt and I’ve taken a bunch of does.
Had doe come through early, followed by a few more flying through. Shortly after I saw the buck to my left, out of range, heading away. I took out my can call and grunt tube and hit them both. I put them down and thought to myself how useless they were. Wrong! He came in to my left on a string. Had no shot till at 30 yards he turned and went south. I had a sharp quartering away shot. I took quick aim and let it fly. I was concerned that as usual I forgot to aim, year ago today missed one because I hurried the shot, but I heard the arrow hit and it sounded like a drum. He walked off with his tail twitching.
I texted my son Tommy and he suggested I get out quietly and that he would meet me at home and we’d go look for it.
On our walk in I said it’s either going to be a great day or a pretty bad one.
We found the arrow and it was covered in blood. I was concerned that there was white hair on the broadhead but off we walked. Not much blood but a little. Very dense red brush but within thirty or forty yards he was piled up.
Not sure who was happier, Tommy or me!!!!
Missed a good one a year ago today. Blessed today with a few more days off to enjoy. Couldn’t be happier.
Not a trophy to many, trophy for me though!
Hope those that have yet to get theirs succeed. Pretty cool stuff.

It's awesome to get the kids involved. They love it. They love having their own success but they love seeing us in action doing what we love. And of course vice versa.

Congrats Whaler, great deer!!! Any deer with a Bow is a trophy!!!

Very true Rich. There is truly something special about “outsmarting” a whitetail to be able to harvest one with a bow. Anyone who bow hunts knows that feeling of a deer within 30 yards or less. And that is why we do it.

• Like 1