Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

Here's a question for you guys. How much meat would you expect to get from a large buck? I picked my meat up from the processor today to take to Costanza's, and I was less than impressed. The tally was 48 lbs of boneless venison in total: 28 lbs of chunks to make into sausage; loin and tenderloin left whole; and 12 lbs of ground (which includes pork). However, the tenderloin and one of the loins smelled...bad. My buck was not gut-shot (the broadhead macerated the liver). I've got to wonder if there was a mix-up. The head was left intact for a Euro mount.

This was easily the largest body buck I've ever shot, and I expected more. I know that processors are going to be less thorough than doing it yourself, and it seems like everybody gripes about getting too little meat back from their deer, but you can look back at the picture from yesterday. 48 lbs of meat, including some pork. Thoughts?

Just picked up my deer from Steele’s in Avon. Decided to weigh the bags for perspective. 73 lbs of meat and from looking at the pics I think your deer was bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Took last night and this morning off to recharge. With this crazy wind I slipped into a big bedding area. Sure would love to put my eyes on a mature deer , since I've yet to see one yet this season. Well, here goes nothing and if you are out tonight good luck and hang the F on!

I wanted to get put in the morning but wifey and alcohol are going to make it hard to get up. It might be a 9am till dark sit on public land. Good luck to all that make it out in the AM.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Have another !!! [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

November 11 am

31 degrees
SW wind 5 mph
Partly sunny

Perfect November morning. Weather was perfect and filled with bucks. 2 button bucks, 2 1.5 yo bucks, 2.5 year old, shooter 9or10 point, and a giant. All male deer seen from my stand. My kid saw a few of the same deer along with a doe with fawns.
Totally blew a perfect opportunity this morning. After going over the shot multiple times in my head, I believe the buck jump the string. Brutal. He was a stud. Perfect typical 10 with big brows. After further review I do not have this deer on camera. I'll be sulking for the rest of the afternoon.

IMG_20181111_071736665.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes or No???

Who believes it is best to stop a walking deer (with a simple mouth grunt) before taking the shot? Who believes the opposite and shoots them as they walk through?

I believe the past few deer I have shot at with the bow have jumped the string and ended with bad results.

Thoughts???

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app