Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

November 14

41 degrees
NW wind 5-10 mph
Partly sunny

No deer movement until 425 or so tonight. Saw a 2.5 year old buck cruising the corn. Definitely looking for the does that have been bedding in there. Had a doe with two fawns and a doe with one fawn leave the bedding only to be bothered by a little buck.
Two days to go. Corn combine showed up to my zip code today and started cutting. Probably hunt while they cut tomorrow.

IMG_20181114_185256.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think someone should start a venison dish thread. Tonight’s dinner was a venison roast cooked for 6 hours in a crock pot with two cans of Progresso beef barley cans of soup. Outstanding!

We cook a lot of venison all winter long in the Crock-Pot.

Finally a cold morning. For the first time i have had to resort to the cross bow. After last nights, yet another failed attempt with the compound. The one i been dreaming of gave me a 30 yrd shot.stickers an kickers... An smack goes my limb on the shootin rail, arrow feel way short of the mark. This ladder stand has literly costed me 3 good ones[emoji2959][emoji35] its got the rail around it, good for takin the kids, bad for dad...yes, new stand will be goin up in this location next yr. He was the 6th mature buck within range, by far the most quality deer i have seen in one bow season over the almost 20 yr of bow hunting. Bac to this creeky stand this morning. Big guy didnt spook am almost got another poke at em. With all my troubles this year i can only laugh about last night. What can go wrong has gone wrong. Lol Also for the first time i fell from my tree.. wear your harnesses, i was rushin as i came bac from camp an wanted to get bac out and said, no i dont want to take the time. I am just greatful to still be able to be out here enjoyin mother nature, will keep on keeping on. Down to 3 sits for bow....

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

had a dr appointment  so I took a vacation  day to hunt this morning, brought the crossbow today. About 730 I can see a buck chasing a doe around in the brush, seems like a decent 8. A small 4 pointer kept coming by and he kept chasing it off. Eventually the four point wandered over by my tree and the bigger one came to run him off again and offered a shot.  Best part for me was calling my dad to come down and help with the recovery. Not a monster but I'm happy. 

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3603.JPG

• Like 3

had a dr appointment  so I took a vacation  day to hunt this morning, brought the crossbow today. About 730 I can see a buck chasing a doe around in the brush, seems like a decent 8. A small 4 pointer kept coming by and he kept chasing it off. Eventually the four point wandered over by my tree and the bigger one came to run him off again and offered a shot.  Best part for me was calling my dad to come down and help with the recovery. Not a monster but I'm happy. 

IMG_3583.thumb.JPG.c525d73b1ba4d08817e1b2c76c9c7df0.JPG
IMG_3603.thumb.JPG.e8bc6e0e31af661a299c9d45b7028e50.JPG
Great job congrats!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

November 15 am

25 degrees
SE wind 5-10 mph
Cloudy skies

Saw a few deer this morning but could only positively identify a small buck. I can only assume the big body i saw walking across the field in the dark was also a buck but who knows. Had some chasing in the dark this morning also. Unfortunately most of the action was prior to 7 am. Tons of fresh tracks in the snow which tells me they were moving heaving during the night last night.

That's why we love you, Rob. Always know how to get a laugh. 

So, today was rough. We ended up recovering my buddy's deer that he shot first thing this morning, but what an ordeal. The hit was back and the buck took us across the road and into some of the thickest stuff I've had to fight through in awhile. We'd have not found the deer if not for snow. Very, very little blood. And all-in-all probably 1200 ft tracking, with 2 hours of letting him lay, after we found four places he bedded down within a 30 yard section. It was 3 pm before we were gutting him, and it took over an hour to get him 400 ft back to the road. Nasty, thick, briar-filled, overgrown patch of deer heaven. But it's done and I'm home, having only locked the brakes up on hills three times on the back way from Brockport to Rush. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow. I am whupped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gator said:

That's why we love you, Rob. Always know how to get a laugh. 

So, today was rough. We ended up recovering my buddy's deer that he shot first thing this morning, but what an ordeal. The hit was back and the buck took us across the road and into some of the thickest stuff I've had to fight through in awhile. We'd have not found the deer if not for snow. Very, very little blood. And all-in-all probably 1200 ft tracking, with 2 hours of letting him lay, after we found four places he bedded down within a 30 yard section. It was 3 pm before we were gutting him, and it took over an hour to get him 400 ft back to the road. Nasty, thick, briar-filled, overgrown patch of deer heaven. But it's done and I'm home, having only locked the brakes up on hills three times on the back way from Brockport to Rush. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow. I am whupped.

Way to stick with it and recover the animal!!! Nice job

Just got back from Costanza sausage. 8 day turn around !! Smoked Hungarian , pepperoni , smoked jalapeno cheese sausage. And can't forget the apple sausage. I love deer season !! Good luck tomorrow to all looking to fill that tag !!!
IMG_20181115_190609.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1