Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

Picture perfect morning, only problem is no deer. Have only heard 3 shots all morning and they were a long way out. Going to be a long day if it continues like this. Checked cards yesterday and the one I'm after has been on the move midday.

Half way through the day, and still haven't seen a deer. Hopefully the 2nd half will be a little more eventful. These all day sits are starting to take their toll on me. I'm fine with only seeing one deer all day if it's the one I'm after! Whistle blown, let the 2nd half begin!

So I have been lurking on this thread all season and felt I should contribute after a successful day yesterday.  

I bought a 27 acre parcel behind my house in 7S that I have hunted for 4 seasons.  Its all timber with a thick understory of honey suckle and autumn olive.  There is an old orchard that has been choked off for yrs that I have been trying to open up but no apples this year so had a slow bow season with no good opportunities.  Had numerous bucks on cam and saw a couple during bow so went into the weekend optimistic.  

Out early Saturday, heard about 70+ shots (about 20 before sunrise).   Saw 2 does and several fawns early and late (took midday break) but that was all.  

That night I rethought my strategy of hunting in the am then taking a midday break and back out pm.  Cant quite make the all day sits but my hats off to those that do.   I tended to see does/fawns moving during these times but none of the bigger bucks I had on cam.  I had also noticed that several bucks had been moving around midday on cam.  So I slept in Sunday (that part was easy) and headed out at 10am.  Snow was crunchy so made my slowly to my best stand at northern edge of property which sits at the intersection of my main woods road and 2 smaller trails that I had cut over the past couple years. Wind was good.  Felt optimistic.  Sure enough about noon saw movement to my left through some timber and brush.  Made out horns and my heart started pumping as it was a nice 8.  He was angling off a ridge behind me but headed down and away.  Had similar scenario week before but he was tailing a doe and I couldn't turn him with the grunt call.  Today he was alone but I could barely see him anymore and had the grunt tube ready but he made a turn back towards me (later found he had crossed a doe trail).   He got onto the smaller trail that goes out of sight behind thick brush then pops out right in front of the stand so now my heart really starts thumping....  However he crossed trail and worked perpendicular to my stand in deep brush about 75 yards downhill, not presenting a good shot.  He finally came out on main woods road where he made the wrong choice and turned right, headed towards a big 30 yd opening that would bring him broadside at 40 yds.  I tried to slow my breathing and prepared for the shot.  Sure enough he walked right out into the opening and I gave him a quick "meh " which stopped him in his tracks and I put a 30-30 win right behind his right shoulder.  He jumped and kicked hard, made a desperate 100 yd dash and crashed off the woods road into the brush.  Got him through both lungs.   

He's not a monster like some I have seen on this site (congrats to all by the way) but one of 2 eight pts I was hoping to get a shot at and only the 5th buck I have ever harvested.    What a great feeling to put in so much time and have it all come together.  I am relatively new to hunting as I didn't grow up in a hunting family but so happy I have found this sport and now have my own property to hunt.  Next up is to get out with the girlfriend and help her her get first deer...  

IMG_0993.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrookTrout said:

So I have been lurking on this thread all season and felt I should contribute after a successful day yesterday.  

I bought a 27 acre parcel behind my house in 7S that I have hunted for 4 seasons.  Its all timber with a thick understory of honey suckle and autumn olive.  There is an old orchard that has been choked off for yrs that I have been trying to open up but no apples this year so had a slow bow season with no good opportunities.  Had numerous bucks on cam and saw a couple during bow so went into the weekend optimistic.  

Out early Saturday, heard about 70+ shots (about 20 before sunrise).   Saw 2 does and several fawns early and late (took midday break) but that was all.  

That night I rethought my strategy of hunting in the am then taking a midday break and back out pm.  Cant quite make the all day sits but my hats off to those that do.   I tended to see does/fawns moving during these times but none of the bigger bucks I had on cam.  I had also noticed that several bucks had been moving around midday on cam.  So I slept in Sunday (that part was easy) and headed out at 10am.  Snow was crunchy so made my slowly to my best stand at northern edge of property which sits at the intersection of my main woods road and 2 smaller trails that I had cut over the past couple years. Wind was good.  Felt optimistic.  Sure enough about noon saw movement to my left through some timber and brush.  Made out horns and my heart started pumping as it was a nice 8.  He was angling off a ridge behind me but headed down and away.  Had similar scenario week before but he was tailing a doe and I couldn't turn him with the grunt call.  Today he was alone but I could barely see him anymore and had the grunt tube ready but he made a turn back towards me (later found he had crossed a doe trail).   He got onto the smaller trail that goes out of sight behind thick brush then pops out right in front of the stand so now my heart really starts thumping....  However he crossed trail and worked perpendicular to my stand in deep brush about 75 yards downhill, not presenting a good shot.  He finally came out on main woods road where he made the wrong choice and turned right, headed towards a big 30 yd opening that would bring him broadside at 40 yds.  I tried to slow my breathing and prepared for the shot.  Sure enough he walked right out into the opening and I gave him a quick "meh " which stopped him in his tracks and I put a 30-30 win right behind his right shoulder.  He jumped and kicked hard, made a desperate 100 yd dash and crashed off the woods road into the brush.  Got him through both lungs.   

He's not a monster like some I have seen on this site (congrats to all by the way) but one of 2 eight pts I was hoping to get a shot at and only the 5th buck I have ever harvested.    What a great feeling to put in so much time and have it all come together.  I am relatively new to hunting as I didn't grow up in a hunting family but so happy I have found this sport and now have my own property to hunt.  Next up is to get out with the girlfriend and help her her get first deer...  

IMG_0993.jpg

Great stuff!

November 19 am

31 degrees
SW wind 5-10 mph
Overcast

Plan A was ruined due to the crunchy snow that still exists. Headed to plan B but wasn't very optimistic about it since we hunted there yesterday and pulled a dead deer out of there last night. Only saw a fawn but no place I'd rather be right now.

IMG_20181119_070605151.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

IMG_0993.thumb.jpg.6b48324e8c2effb32fcadd7d5e377be2.jpg

Nice job, and buck! I hunt 7s mainly as well.
Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

November 19 pm

43 Degrees

S wind 5 mph

overcast

Another slow sit. Thought i was going to have some action about 430 when I heard what sounded like chasing but they never quite made it to me. All I could make out was a flicker of white in the thicket.

Congrats to all who had a successful southern zone gun opener!

I tucked myself in Friday night ready to hunt 7R in the morning. I woke up a couple hours later headed to the ER. Long story short... my opener was spent working out kidney stones [emoji37][emoji15]. The stones couldn't wait till Monday!!??Lol. Beautiful bucks, guys. Hoping for a better go this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United