Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

Thoughts?

"Encouraging hunters to voluntarily pass up shots at young bucks best balances hunter interests across the state and is now our management direction"

slogan graphic encouraging voluntary restraint

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/27663.html?fbclid=IwAR0N7-QUFADhtYnkQlmiL6MiamJ60UTccgBpz3dCmKhMritjghaP88BdQtc

1 hour ago, Legacy said:

Thoughts?

"Encouraging hunters to voluntarily pass up shots at young bucks best balances hunter interests across the state and is now our management direction"

slogan graphic encouraging voluntary restraint

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/27663.html?fbclid=IwAR0N7-QUFADhtYnkQlmiL6MiamJ60UTccgBpz3dCmKhMritjghaP88BdQtc

Passed on a small 6 pointer opening morning just to have another hunter shoot it 30 minutes later, abut 100 yds. away. This management plan only works when you own the land.......

For the past 8 years now we have not shot anything less than an 8 point on the 500 acres that we own/lease (all 500 acres are connected). There is absolutely no doubt that the number of quality bucks you see increases drastically by participating in QDM. We are also fortunate that almost all of the surrounding properties near us also participate in QDM

However, if NYS does decide to make it a law, I feel like there should be an exception for youth/first time hunters. When we invite friends or family on our property to hunt for the first time, they are welcome to harvest any size buck they want, no questions asked. After they harvest their first buck, we would expect them to follow the same restrictions that we do on our property.

There could be a lot of discouraged youths hunters that never get hooked if they go a few seasons without being able to harvest a legal buck (if restrictions are in place).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

Passed on a small 6 pointer opening morning just to have another hunter shoot it 30 minutes later, abut 100 yds. away. This management plan only works when you own the land.......

Same thing happened to me last year. I passed a 6 pt in the Northern zone with the rifle and my neighbor shot it the next day.

You need a lot of land for that to work. It’s better if your neighbors are all on the same page.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know guys who only trophy hunt and I know guys who strictly feed their family. Some of these guys in great deer areas others in areas with no doe permits....I fall somewhere in the middle. I don’t think we need MORE restrictions and laws but maybe some incentives for landowners who participate in deer management

Same thing happened to me last year. I passed a 6 pt in the Northern zone with the rifle and my neighbor shot it the next day.

You need a lot of land for that to work. It’s better if your neighbors are all on the same page.

It is definitely easier and better if the neighbors abide by the same QDM standard , but I think it’s a myth that you need a ton of land for QDM to work properly. Certainly the larger the parcel, the easier it is to attain, but you can still do everything you can to make your land the best in the neighborhood.

It starts with a plan, sound and smart low impact hunting strategies, creating sanctuary, cover and food.....and that’s just the beginning

I’m sick of the neighbor will kill if I don’t argument
He may but I know one thing for sure if I shoot him he’s dead for sure

YES! There’s guys that hunt all around 3 of the pieces of land I hunt and guys that gun hunt on a piece I bow hunt. I still pass up deer every year and have trail cam pics of them after the season. Where they end up after that I don’t know though because I don’t get a shot at them once they’re smart. Lol

Only been 5 yrs sonce the 200 acres I hunt has been letting under 3yr old deer pass. Every year there's a noticeable difference. Still have neighbors shooting "big 4 points" which sucks but is what it is. We choose and find no satisfaction in killing young deer, but dont harvest bash either. I agree with others that more regulation only hurt the future of the sport. Old and young hunters, as well as the guys who have only a few days a year to put meat on the table deserve their chance as well. If there were piles of mature buck running around year after year, how much fun would that be? I think the idea of that once in a lifetime buck is what keeps me putting my boots on anyway. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

It is definitely easier and better if the neighbors abide by the same QDM standard , but I think it’s a myth that you need a ton of land for QDM to work properly. Certainly the larger the parcel, the easier it is to attain, but you can still do everything you can to make your land the best in the neighborhood.

It starts with a plan, sound and smart low impact hunting strategies, creating sanctuary, cover and food.....and that’s just the beginning

I own 140 acres in the Northern Zone and I do hunt low impact, I have a sanctuary, cover, and food. Once the rut starts they start getting picked off. Throw in a higher winter kill, 7 weeks of gun season, low number of doe permits, and a kill every spike attitude and it can be quite a challenge.

I don’t shoot young bucks on my land and I see results even with those challenges. However when I hunt the finger lakes I see more bucks in 1 day than I see all season on my land...

I actually like the challenge. If it was easy I wouldn’t hunt.

Starting to question my sanity after today! More doe then I've ever seen in my life. Only 2 1st racks and had deer around me all day, non stop. Didnt go 5 mins without seeing deer. Colder then I've ever been! Brutal out there for November, felt like February! I've yet to lay eyes on this deer that I'm chasing and hope it comes soon because I'm starting to feel drained! Tomorrow is another day. Happy Thanksgiving and good luck to everyone who gets out tomorrow.

• Like 2

I agree with the QDM standards, would love to see it in NY, but don’t think we ever will!! I would like to see the buck limit drop to 1
Buck per year per hunter. Also shorter gun seasons for north and southern zones!! I agree about the first time hunter/youth being able to shoot whatever buck they like also. We have the genetics, and the food to grow trophy bucks in this state, just need everyone to be on the same page, again we will never see it. Also there is too many places that are no kill on does. What they don’t realize or fail to accept is hey are only hurting their own herd!!!

Only been 5 yrs sonce the 200 acres I hunt has been letting under 3yr old deer pass. Every year there's a noticeable difference. Still have neighbors shooting "big 4 points" which sucks but is what it is. We choose and find no satisfaction in killing young deer, but dont harvest bash either. I agree with others that more regulation only hurt the future of the sport. Old and young hunters, as well as the guys who have only a few days a year to put meat on the table deserve their chance as well. If there were piles of mature buck running around year after year, how much fun would that be? I think the idea of that once in a lifetime buck is what keeps me putting my boots on anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Great post

• Like 1

I own 140 acres in the Northern Zone and I do hunt low impact, I have a sanctuary, cover, and food. Once the rut starts they start getting picked off. Throw in a higher winter kill, 7 weeks of gun season, low number of doe permits, and a kill every spike attitude and it can be quite a challenge.

I don’t shoot young bucks on my land and I see results even with those challenges. However when I hunt the finger lakes I see more bucks in 1 day than I see all season on my land...

There’s no comparison with northern and southern zone properties with all the Ag we have here. I’m in 9h.

Starting to question my sanity after today! More doe then I've ever seen in my life. Only 2 1st racks and had deer around me all day, non stop. Didnt go 5 mins without seeing deer. Colder then I've ever been! Brutal out there for November, felt like February! I've yet to lay eyes on this deer that I'm chasing and hope it comes soon because I'm starting to feel drained! Tomorrow is another day. Happy Thanksgiving and good luck to everyone who gets out tomorrow.

Damn dude.....you are legendary for sitting all day in this!!!!! Good luck

You are right, Realeyz. Northern zone hunting is quite different from southern tier. I dont recall the exact numbers but 2/3-3/4of the states deer take come from the southern zone and the northern zone gun season is 7 weeks with some areas providing early and late muzzle, lol. Its crazy. Still 6G has a robust deer population but it seems to be localized.
I think the more progressive and younger hunters will promote the QDM philosophy. It takes time and education. As the old guard of hunters pass the torch hopefully they dont pass all the bad habits.

I agree with the QDM standards, would love to see it in NY, but don’t think we ever will!! I would like to see the buck limit drop to 1
Buck per year per hunter. Also shorter gun seasons for north and southern zones!! I agree about the first time hunter/youth being able to shoot whatever buck they like also. We have the genetics, and the food to grow trophy bucks in this state, just need everyone to be on the same page, again we will never see it. Also there is too many places that are no kill on does. What they don’t realize or fail to accept is hey are only hurting their own herd!!!

X2 on the 1 buck per year, and shorter gun season

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 buck tag for the season would make people think. It would fix everything. And make your QDM propertys even better. And if someone shoots a spike good for them tagged out , won't see them for the rest of the year. No reason to tell the 1 weekend or 1 day a year guy what he has to kill.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2x lol didn't read all the posts.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app