Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

I own 140 acres in the Northern Zone and I do hunt low impact, I have a sanctuary, cover, and food. Once the rut starts they start getting picked off. Throw in a higher winter kill, 7 weeks of gun season, low number of doe permits, and a kill every spike attitude and it can be quite a challenge.

I don’t shoot young bucks on my land and I see results even with those challenges. However when I hunt the finger lakes I see more bucks in 1 day than I see all season on my land...

I actually like the challenge. If it was easy I wouldn’t hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is definitely a good direction for QDM.
I agree 100% this would change things drastically.
Guess I'm torn from the old days coming up in deer drives and venison for dinner weekly and current times.
Looking at states like Illinois, ohio, Iowa and other trophy states,and the actual amount of hunters per capita, its easy to see why there destinations for hunting. I guess my concern is are we loosing our voice as hunters via population, for easier chances at a big buck?
Don't know.
Be in the freezing cold for another chance tomorrow though.
Good luck and happy thanksgiving everyone.

7 hours ago, Rich D said:

I agree with the QDM standards, would love to see it in NY, but don’t think we ever will!! I would like to see the buck limit drop to 1
Buck per year per hunter. Also shorter gun seasons for north and southern zones!! I agree about the first time hunter/youth being able to shoot whatever buck they like also. We have the genetics, and the food to grow trophy bucks in this state, just need everyone to be on the same page, again we will never see it. Also there is too many places that are no kill on does. What they don’t realize or fail to accept is hey are only hurting their own herd!!!

We have to be careful with QDM. I believe in the QDM concepts and have seen it work with multiple deer hunting areas here in NY, however, shortening limits and reducing the length of the season is exactly what anti-hunting groups want. 

November 21 pm

21 degrees (and falling)

NW wind 5-20 w/ 40+ mph gusts

cloudy

flurries

Changed gears this afternoon and hunted from the ground. Snuck in and hunted the north side of a beading area. Good plan just never saw a deer.

We have to be careful with QDM. I believe in the QDM concepts and have seen it work with multiple deer hunting areas here in NY, however, shortening limits and reducing the length of the season is exactly what anti-hunting groups want. 

In my opinion it’s more of a hunter issue getting over the fact that we would only be able to take 1 buck per season vs the anti hunting groups having their way. Ohio’s gun season is a week long. (NY is 3 weeks), there Muzzle is another 3 days. Their Bow however runs Sept - Feb. your not necessarily reducing limits as you can take more antlerless deer. Kinda would change the NY culture. When it boils right down to it a lot of NY hunters like to get right back out after another buck. I’m not finding fault but we can’t have our cake and eat it too. If we all want better quality bucks, we pretty much know what we need to do, it’s not rocket science. Also I’m not trying to debate anyone it’s just an opinion. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. To those who have success this year, congrats. This is a great thread.

• Like 1

Congrats to all with their harvests! Some great bucks here in new york, even with out qdma. With no luck in getin a mature buck on the ground with bow i was looking forward to get the muzzel loader in my hands. Have had 2 good ones in the cross hairs, both on doe an when i gotem both to stop for shot of course. No good shot opportunity, the mature ones always just seem to know when to stop and not offer a good shot.[emoji35] this season ay least
Took my 8 yr old out this morning on our newly acquired tradition of the thanksgiving morning hunt,3 rd year in a row. We got our first ever deer this morning!! He was like a seasoned veteran, here she comes, looks like a good one, you should takem dad. What a memory I have to cherish for ever! He was so excited, i couldnt belive it. He literally ran outa the blind to go see it! His first words after was dad i knew you were a awsome hunter! Was nice hearing him say that after the season i have had! Were havin breakfast then we gota go hang in the barn.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 6

Slow morning. 6 doe spotted. Neighbor to the East shot which I confirmed a doe and the neighbor to the North shot but dont know what it was, drove around to try and see but they weren't out of the woods yet. Fingers crossed it wasn't "Ocho" [emoji17]

First Thanksgiving I didn’t hunt. I stayed home and help the Mrs get ready for a big family dinner (25 people). My buddy asked last night if could sit in my stand this morning. I said sure. He was in stand at 640 and at 720 this guy walked by...... glad to see someone I know get him but still .....5b49d0d187b5c8ad29af42a336fe99f5.jpg

• Like 1

First Thanksgiving I didn’t hunt. I stayed home and help the Mrs get ready for a big family dinner (25 people). My buddy asked last night if could sit in my stand this morning. I said sure. He was in stand at 640 and at 720 this guy walked by...... glad to see someone I know get him but still .....5b49d0d187b5c8ad29af42a336fe99f5.jpg&key=6af55aebea3489226603ccbc2d87f826116530ec04feeea4ebaadb5eff3491ef

Beautiful buck!!!, I hope he realizes how lucky he is to have a buddy like u.
Good luck to the rest of ur season.

Sent from my Pixel using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Congrats to all with their harvests! Some great bucks here in new york, even with out qdma. With no luck in getin a mature buck on the ground with bow i was looking forward to get the muzzel loader in my hands. Have had 2 good ones in the cross hairs, both on doe an when i gotem both to stop for shot of course. No good shot opportunity, the mature ones always just seem to know when to stop and not offer a good shot.[emoji35] this season ay least
Took my 8 yr old out this morning on our newly acquired tradition of the thanksgiving morning hunt,3 rd year in a row. We got our first ever deer this morning!! He was like a seasoned veteran, here she comes, looks like a good one, you should takem dad. What a memory I have to cherish for ever! He was so excited, i couldnt belive it. He literally ran outa the blind to go see it! His first words after was dad i knew you were a awsome hunter! Was nice hearing him say that after the season i have had! Were havin breakfast then we gota go hang in the barn.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

[emoji106], keep up the good work and way to keep a young Hunter in the game.

Sent from my Pixel using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Loud walk in this morning. It was a cold sit. The neighbor to the north of me shot and the neighbor to the Southeast of me shot as well. All the same block of woods. I on the other hand didn’t see a thing. That’s how it goes though

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United