Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

As usual, my place rots during gun season. I took a brief walk yesterday evening. Tracks everywhere, but the only deer I saw was a pair of button bucks feeding on crabapple just behind the neighbor's house and a small six that was on another neighbor's property. I'm convinced that the cagey buggers head to the park during the day, then hold a party after dark at my place. That park is both boon and bane. And yet I'll still hunt there, because you just never know what might get stupid and wander across the street at any moment.

One of my buddies had the answer to the deer hunting back in the nineties. He built his own log home including going to the Adirondacks and skinning all the logs. His property was at the end of a road in the Bristol Hills ajoining woods with a clearing just in front of it. He built a second story veranda on the second story off his bedroom facing the woods. I asked him why he built the "outlook point" in the back of the house. He responded "deer season":lol: No other house for a half mile or so hill in back of the woods with no houses.....perfect spot for a comfortable stand....right height etc. He had all sorts of deer all around him all the time and he had his pick each year without even leaving his bedroom. I never thought to ask what his wife thought about it:lol: I think it was the only thing that bothered him about the subsequent divorce:lol: True story.

Edited by Sk8man

Here we go again...... 1st south wind in q while and just like a light switch! Seriously pay attention to this guys. It's crazy how true it is. Hopefully with it switching to north later it will still have the same affect on this evening. Good luck guys

37 minutes ago, JakeyBaby said:

Here we go again...... 1st south wind in q while and just like a light switch! Seriously pay attention to this guys. It's crazy how true it is. Hopefully with it switching to north later it will still have the same affect on this evening. Good luck guys

The Drurys swear by this south wind theory. The deer were moving good last night in the NZ. 2 bucks and 2 does and a fawn. That is great action for here this late in the season. 

I think the wind switch-movement theory rings true because wind change/barometric change often go hand in hand. Also, deer like to travel-feed into the wind, so if wind direction changes so does their movement direction. 

Had a doe try and teach her little ones how to track a human. Not a good idea. Got meat!! 20 plus doe and fawns this morning . Best deer number from the stand this year. IMG_20181130_093507.thumb.jpeg.4797847c1bd3d343e43721cc933de8f4.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thats a big doe! Congrats Kev![emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey pal - I do not want to destroy this thread as Rob has made it the best on LOU so I'll just move on. I'm glad that you will now have a full belly.

Congrats to all that have scored whether bucks or doe. Keep in mind, with a tough early winter and snow pack, the fawns will still go back to mom to nurse.

Good luck in the field,

Chris

It's funny how quiet the woods gets half way through gun season. I think we have all tried to convince ourselves that the deer just left our zip code and must be in some secret spot somewhere miles away. A garden of eden, where deer hide until the day after the season. Then you show up to your spot with two day old snow and the deer tracks are endless. Now I have I have to convince myself all over again that deer do still live here. Literally ever where I look there is a set of tracks. Every possible deer trail has tracks on it zig zagging all around my stand. Maybe they are trying to tell me something. Like hey you, yeah you, go f yourself. Damn deer.
The tracks don't lie. I have have standing corn and they want to be here. I have the best food source that isn't buried under three inches of snow. For God sakes man show yourselves!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app