Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

Go get 'em, guys! And I use guys in it's plural gender-neutral iteration :wink:. Although I've got to say that I'm surprised at the lack of female participation on this thread. I hope that an increasing number of female participants might partially offset hunters' numbers declining - otherwise we're going to become a fraternity of old farts.

Hmmm. Might be too late :rofl:.

Story of day 34 and the 11pt

It was very still,quiet and calm not really any wind at all.I wasn't sure I was even going to see a deer with it being so still.

At a little after 4pm I saw 4 doe skirting through the hardwoods. Then a couple minutes later had a spike come into the field and mill around and then walk into the hardwoods and cut 70 yds in front of me. Pretty standard sit so far. 3 doe cut out of the pines and behind me all the deer thus far were traveling towards the  front of property. Next 2 buck enter the field a small spike( I call micro spike because he doesn't even have 3" spikes) and a 4 pt,these are all buck I've seen over and over again so was pretty ho hum till this point...then things got spicy. Micro spike and 4 pt  all of a sudden bolt my direction in the field and stop before the pines along the edge,they are just looking into the pines and finally walk into them.I then hear a grunt and think that doesn't sound like it came from the 4 pt? Next 3 doe fly down the ridge line behind me about 120 yds, I think "did someone on the adjacent property bump them?", but as I'm thinking that they dart back were the came from running all over the place so I know a buck is messing with them. I'm now standing up in my stand looking back and scanning with my binoculars and I see a doe 75 yds from my stand motionless staring down through the hardwoods back out in front of me. I'm watching her and trying to look back to where she is staring to see what has her attention? I see nothing as I scan,then I look back towards the field and I see a group of deer along the edge of the pines 5 of them! I turn and sit in my stand and see they are all buck,two small buck are sparing mico and 4 pt are standing watching and there is one buck hanging back just into the pines. I pull up my binoculars and could see he had some stuff going on rack wise and was a good buck,at this point I wasn't sure if it was the big guy I've been after or not but decided first opportunity at a shot I'd take it as I've rode this rodeo before thinking I'll wait till he comes all the way out only to have him lock up and turn around walking away,especially since that's where the doe were all running around.

The rest is history he stepped forward one step and gave me a clear shot to his front shoulder at 90 yds and he went on a 60 yd death run and dropped behind some brush. Until I walked up on him I wasn't sure what he was or if he was my nemesis,unfortunately not but again I wouldn't have passed him regardless. 1 week off then the quest will continue with the muzzle loader. 

As a side note I've never seen this buck or have a single picture of him so you really just never know what will happen or who will show up

Thanks  to everyone and best of luck to all .....your season can change on a dime so stick with it!

• Like 1

It was very still,quiet and calm not really any wind at all.I wasn't sure I was even going to see a deer with it being so still.
At a little after 4pm I saw 4 doe skirting through the hardwoods. Then a couple minutes later had a spike come into the field and mill around and then walk into the hardwoods and cut 70 yds in front of me. Pretty standard sit so far. 3 doe cut out of the pines and behind me all the deer thus far were traveling towards the  front of property. Next 2 buck enter the field a small spike( I call micro spike because he doesn't even have 3" spikes) and a 4 pt,these are all buck I've seen over and over again so was pretty ho hum till this point...then things got spicy. Micro spike and 4 pt  all of a sudden bolt my direction in the field and stop before the pines along the edge,they are just looking into the pines and finally walk into them.I then hear a grunt and think that doesn't sound like it came from the 4 pt? Next 3 doe fly down the ridge line behind me about 120 yds, I think "did someone on the adjacent property bump them?", but as I'm thinking that they dart back were the came from running all over the place so I know a buck is messing with them. I'm now standing up in my stand looking back and scanning with my binoculars and I see a doe 75 yds from my stand motionless staring down through the hardwoods back out in front of me. I'm watching her and trying to look back to where she is staring to see what has her attention? I see nothing as I scan,then I look back towards the field and I see a group of deer along the edge of the pines 5 of them! I turn and sit in my stand and see they are all buck,two small buck are sparing mico and 4 pt are standing watching and there is one buck hanging back just into the pines. I pull up my binoculars and could see he had some stuff going on rack wise and was a good buck,at this point I wasn't sure if it was the big guy I've been after or not but decided first opportunity at a shot I'd take it as I've rode this rodeo before thinking I'll wait till he comes all the way out only to have him lock up and turn around walking away,especially since that's where the doe were all running around.
The rest is history he stepped forward one step and gave me a clear shot to his front shoulder at 90 yds and he went on a 60 yd death run and dropped behind some brush. Until I walked up on him I wasn't sure what he was or if he was my nemesis,unfortunately not but again I wouldn't have passed him regardless. 1 week off then the quest will continue with the muzzle loader. 
As a side note I've never seen this buck or have a single picture of him so you really just never know what will happen or who will show up

Thanks  to everyone and best of luck to all .....your season can change on a dime so stick with it!
Nice story!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just had a 2.5 year old get the heart racing. I was checking this thread for updates and when I looked up a buck was standing in front of me about 70 yards. He was just inside the ears and my binoculars told me the rest. The blood pumping felt good. Lol!#onemoreyear

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think dvdegeorge should get the grand prize for perseverence:smile: His approach sums up what I've taught my kids for years no matter what they do "perseverence pays off":yes:

• Like 2

I think dvdegeorge should get the grand prize for perseverence[emoji2] His approach sums up what I've taught my kids for years no matter what they do "perseverence pays off":yes:

No. His girlfriend should. I'm thinking she has been dealing with his grumpy a** for weeks now! Lol!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Dan, X2 with Les, it wasn’t about being in the right place at the right time, your hard work is what paid off, plus if we had bets out there on who was pulling antlers out of the woods, my money was on the chosen few like yourself. Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

So after a late start due to having shoulder surgery everything finally came together last Friday. It took me until 41 to get my best buck and 44 to get a perfect doe. While I love to hunt and fish this takes the cake and puts a lot into perspective. The surgery was done so I could do this. I enjoy reading all of this everyday and love all of your stories but must admit these two make me forget about the woods and water. Nothing better than being a dad. 56c049030b63d4bec3db0a89b34d2232.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4