Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

Thanks fellas for the feedback. I will start looking for a set up this week like i said hopefully i can grab one after the holidays. Do you guys thing i should buy a combo with a scope or should i buy the muzzle loader itself and add a scope. I would assume putting my own scope on it would be the best idea. Money is not really a problem considering i have till next fall to save up and get a nice rig together. Again any feed back would be very helpful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

December 7 pm

26 degrees
NW wind 15 becoming calm
Partly cloudy

Long walk in, probably close to 3/8-1/2 mile but i wanted to get where humans haven't bothered to be. Got settled in and then made a quick adjustment and walked another 50 yards to put myself closer to the thick stuff. Very little sign on the walk in all the fresh snow but it's tough to beat thick stuff surrounded by cut corn.
Notice movement in my peripheral vision over my left shoulder. It was a shooter leaving the neighbors thick stuff, feeding and slowly making his way across the field. If I stayed where I was sitted originally he would have ended up in my lap. I spun around 180 degrees on my knees and took a 90 yard broadside shot. The buck took off and ran 20 yards and stopped. I thought he was ready to drop but after 60 seconds, no. So I took a second shot, hard quartering away. He then took off and disappeared into the woods. I assumed I had a dead deer but to my surprise I missed. Both shots clean misses. No hair. No blood. No signs of distress.
The shotgun is getting sidelined for the muzzleloader until I can get some range time and figure out what's going on with it. No way I should have missed. I will never claim be a sniper but it was a chip shot. I'm not sure if something got bumped and now the scope is off. Needless to say I was very pi**ed off leaving the woods last night. Heartbreaking. As bad as I want to start a "woe is me" conversation, I won't. It would be nice if Lady luck would, for just once, be on my side.

That makes my second miss of the year. For those keeping score at home...
Rob = 0
Bucks= 2

Damn deer!!! I'm really struggling to keep my sanity at this point.

IMG_20181207_162247591.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

10 hours ago, Chromeslayer said:

Custom smokeless build.. savage action 28in Brux barrel 5-22power Nightforce NXS.. 78grain of IMR 4198 pushes a 275g bullet at 3050Fps... farthest kill this season is 380yds... built to send it!

20181130_145118.jpg

That thing is impressive!

51 minutes ago, Legacy said:

December 7 pm

26 degrees
NW wind 15 becoming calm
Partly cloudy

Long walk in, probably close to 3/8-1/2 mile but i wanted to get where humans haven't bothered to be. Got settled in and then made a quick adjustment and walked another 50 yards to put myself closer to the thick stuff. Very little sign on the walk in all the fresh snow but it's tough to beat thick stuff surrounded by cut corn.
Notice movement in my peripheral vision over my left shoulder. It was a shooter leaving the neighbors thick stuff, feeding and slowly making his way across the field. If I stayed where I was sitted originally he would have ended up in my lap. I spun around 180 degrees on my knees and took a 90 yard broadside shot. The buck took off and ran 20 yards and stopped. I thought he was ready to drop but after 60 seconds, no. So I took a second shot, hard quartering away. He then took off and disappeared into the woods. I assumed I had a dead deer but to my surprise I missed. Both shots clean misses. No hair. No blood. No signs of distress.
The shotgun is getting sidelined for the muzzleloader until I can get some range time and figure out what's going on with it. No way I should have missed. I will never claim be a sniper but it was a chip shot. I'm not sure if something got bumped and now the scope is off. Needless to say I was very pi**ed off leaving the woods last night. Heartbreaking. As bad as I want to start a "woe is me" conversation, I won't. It would be nice if Lady luck would, for just once, be on my side.

That makes my second miss of the year. For those keeping score at home...
Rob = 0
Bucks= 2

Damn deer!!! I'm really struggling to keep my sanity at this point.

IMG_20181207_162247591.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Live to hunt another day....

• Like 2

Thanks fellas for the feedback. I will start looking for a set up this week like i said hopefully i can grab one after the holidays. Do you guys thing i should buy a combo with a scope or should i buy the muzzle loader itself and add a scope. I would assume putting my own scope on it would be the best idea. Money is not really a problem considering i have till next fall to save up and get a nice rig together. Again any feed back would be very helpful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I purchased mine from sportsmans guide and it was cheaper than anywhere else. It came with a Konus Pro scope. I was worried the scope was going to be crap but it is a really nice scope. They sell them with scope rings already mounted with no scope or just the gun. If you have a favorite optic, I would just buy the gun and add your own optic.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Both those scopes are Chinese crap. Like you stated there just living on borrowed time. If you go Nikon go with the Monarch series.  You get what you pay for. I have seen so many people with nice expensive good shooting guns then cheap out when it comes to the scope. Doesn't make any sense to me. 

Once you buy your first decent piece of glass it's game changing. I have a couple Bushnell 6500s on long range set ups, but the last several I've bought were the Leupold vx5s and they simply are amazing. Good binoculars really make glassing we easy as well. The old adage of spending the same on the scope as the gun is off imo... I'll spend double on the scope minimum...you have to be able to see and you want it bulletproof. Rings and bases are also another get what you pay for item.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

9 minutes ago, Duckman1 said:

Dan i have the same konus scope. What would be a good scope for a muzzleloader without breakin the bank

Sent from my LG-M327 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've been using a Leupold VX 2  2x7 for years on mine as well as my Sluggun

I learned years ago after going through 3 or 4 cheap scopes on my 12 ga that pay once cry once is the way to go

Leupold in my opinion isn't what it used to be as far as their adjustments but once you get them zeroed they tend to stay put

Customer service is the best too if you should have a problem you'll likely get a brand new scope sent out

9 minutes ago, justtracytrolling said:

Once you buy your first decent piece of glass it's game changing. I have a couple Bushnell 6500s on long range set ups, but the last several I've bought were the Leupold vx5s and they simply are amazing. Good binoculars really make glassing we easy as well. The old adage of spending the same on the scope as the gun is off imo... I'll spend double on the scope minimum...you have to be able to see and you want it bulletproof. Rings and bases are also another get what you pay for item.

yep scope is more important than the rifle/sluggun

That Nightforce posted above on Chromeslayers custom is a great scope

Kahles 624i is outstanding for the proper applications but you are going to be set back $2500-$3000 

My new favorite "standard" scope is a Nightforce SHV

https://www.amazon.com/NightForce-3-10x42mm-250-Illuminated-Forceplex/dp/B07HPCB368/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544275853&sr=8-4&keywords=nightforce+shv+3-10x42mm

28 nosler Kahles.jpg

28 nosler1.jpg

28 nosler bipod.jpg

The new custom locking turrets are the way of the future. Range your target and set the turret which is custom machined to match your ballistic profile. I've been using tactical turrets for years but now you don't need to carry a "come up" card or chart to make a long range shot.

You have to figure out what style scope is best for you. Variable or fixed. Objective lense size for gathering light. For instance on my 7 mm mag I use to sit and watch field edges I want to gather as much light as possible so I have a 50 mm objective lense with 3.5 to 12 power.  But I don't carry this gun when I am still hunting. I usually go to a shotgun or short action lighter rifle with a 2x7 variable .    

• Like 1