Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

Failed optics cost me a buck 3 seasons ago. Easily the biggest buck I have ever shot at. Opening day gun season, had my kid in the stand with me, 80-100 yard shot, broadside and standing still. I never touch him. I shot the gun weeks prior to the season and all seemed great. I shot the gun after i "missed" and the scope was waaaay out of sight. The scope would not take minor adjustments at all. Every time you made an adjustment it was extreme. I went out and bought the Nikon Prostaff. Gun has shot great for the past two years with it. I hope I am not having equipment failure again. 

I'm starting to think I need to make an "investment" in firearms. Both shotgun and muzzleloader. I spend way too much time in the woods for my equipment to be my weakness. It needs to work when I need it to! Ill admit that I dont shoot enough but their seems to be a bunch of guys here that do and that knowledge is certainly appreciated.

• Like 1

Just make sure you buy a good quality scope. Don't buy the bottom line model as most company's source them out to a Chinese manufacture. For instance Nikon pro staff  vs Monarch series I use mostly Nikon monarchs series and Leopoldo Vx 3.  Both are great scopes. Germans make some great optics as well. Burris is another decent scope.

Both those scopes are Chinese crap. Like you stated there just living on borrowed time. If you go Nikon go with the Monarch series.  You get what you pay for. I have seen so many people with nice expensive good shooting guns then cheap out when it comes to the scope. Doesn't make any sense to me. 

Nikkon makes excellent optics. X2 on the monarch.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My buddy was surprised to have this walk by yesterday on our property... no pics on the camera from it all year9932.thumb.jpeg.d62546b371f478a084495ee585bf36ae.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was sitting in the bowl of a deep ravine this year at my newly acquired property in 7R, when out of nowhere I hear crashing, see leaves flying and sticks breaking.All I saw was a huge black fur object come flying down the ravine 30 yards from me. I almost fell out of my stand thinking it was a black bear charging. When it hit the bottom of the ravine they broke apart. It was 2 big males fighting and they got tangled up on the top and rolled all the way to the bottom. Had to clean my shorts after that one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Legacy said:

I'm starting to think I need to make an "investment" in firearms. Both shotgun and muzzleloader. I spend way too much time in the woods for my equipment to be my weakness. It needs to work when I need it to! Ill admit that I dont shoot enough but their seems to be a bunch of guys here that do and that knowledge is certainly appreciated.

Best shotgun value is the savage bolt action (tack driver).  Most scope companies contract out to Bushnell for their glass.......so buy a Bushnell and rest easy.  My set-up is a H&R ultra slug in 12 gauge that I had magna-ported.   

My 220 savage is the only thing I have a Nikon on (slughunter) everything else has a 50mm Vx2 or 3 on it. Going to Montana the airlines wing gun cases around like it’s a challenge. All the years I went I shot more than twice to double check it when we got there zero times, guys who went with Nikons and bushnells were always chasing theirs back in.

Just settled in. Good chance I may take a doe this afternoon, maybe even 2. In a spot that it shouldn't be a problem as the deer love it in here. Almost brought my bow to try and be stealthy, but that's when a buck comes bye at 60 yards. Smoke pole made the trip instead.

My buddy was surprised to have this walk by yesterday on our property... no pics on the camera from it all year9932.thumb.jpeg.d62546b371f478a084495ee585bf36ae.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Took my son hunting on veterans day in 6k. We saw a large male more golden colored. First i have seen in a number of years. They are cool critters.