Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

It's funny, I have several different models of the Browning trail cameras and one of them, the BTC5HD, purchased in 2015, is far and away better than the others. It's my best camera and I leave it in my best spot. I'm not sure how the 2017 BTC5HD-850 compares. I have no idea why one year's model would be killer and the next year's, with better specs on paper, isn't nearly as good. The BTC8FHD-P model, a spec ops platinum 16 GB with invisible leds, just plain sucks in my hands. Go figure.

December 8 pm

33 degrees

W wind 15-20 becoming calm

Partly sunny

Let the late season begin! The action this afternoon started at 330 and went until I finally escaped from the stand at 530. 25+ deer. Five bucks (that I could tell), one shooter. After some tense moments, all of the deer congregated in the center of the cut corn and fed.

IMG_20181208_152105781.thumb.jpeg.01aed72d0a617e61facb6c20961e0496.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Last night the Mennonite up the street gave me a call to come see his buck. He’s a great guy and has had some tough luck this season. He went to his food plot yesterday afternoon and was there for a short time 30 mins when this guy walked out. He was concerned it was not big enough or wouldn’t meet everyone standards. Got me to thinking about why I hunt. While I have seven on the wall do we take the fun out for us and other people when they ask a question like that?a89e27de6a4136f9ae1921fa1672807d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

SectV- I think that’s the state of the sport right now in a lot of people’s eyes and that’s definitely not a good thing. I’ve passed a lot of deer over the last 4 years that for a lot of hunters would be their biggest buck ever. That being said everyone has a different story when it comes to their reasons or access to hunting (lack of accessible land, time, money etc.). If someone wants to shoot a spike or 6 pointer and it makes them happy then who am I or anyone else to bag on them for that.

The biggest problem is that the guys who think they have a right to every buck they have named on camera and pass up any deer that’s not their “number one hit lister” make the most noise on social media and take the fun out of it for everyone else. The other big part of the problem imo is the guys that shoot small bucks on opening day and then go on social media complaining about there being no big bucks make it hard for the people, who pass up smaller bucks but don’t mind if someone shoots a first racker, to not say anything and that makes it look like there’s a lot higher numbers in the first group I listed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sectvchamps1113 said:

Last night the Mennonite up the street gave me a call to come see his buck. He’s a great guy and has had some tough luck this season. He went to his food plot yesterday afternoon and was there for a short time 30 mins when this guy walked out. He was concerned it was not big enough or wouldn’t meet everyone standards. Got me to thinking about why I hunt. While I have seven on the wall do we take the fun out for us and other people when they ask a question like that?a89e27de6a4136f9ae1921fa1672807d.jpg

Antler mania is ruining hunting.  It is not about going out enjoying the outdoors with friends and family anymore.  It is about shooting a trophy buck.  

• Like 1

Only saw a small buck this morning. Why is it when your trying to kill a doe, a mature one will not give you a shot??? Took tonight off even though I didnt want to. Oh well, hopefully I can sneak out of work this week to try and get something killed. Hopefully Ohio treats me better then New York has this season and I can put something down there.