Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

Only saw a small buck this morning. Why is it when your trying to kill a doe, a mature one will not give you a shot??? Took tonight off even though I didnt want to. Oh well, hopefully I can sneak out of work this week to try and get something killed. Hopefully Ohio treats me better then New York has this season and I can put something down there.
Because they are smarter than any buck we have seen. When are you headed to Ohio? January?

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think it’s a personal choice.
In some ways I feel blessed to have never killed a big buck. Still have a lot to look forward to.
If it’s a trophy to you, god bless. It’s your tag, use it as you see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2 on this.

I always joke with my friends that I am slowly work my way up to a “big” buck.

fe16f20240595a845fdece2421b792ea.jpg
It was a tough season for me, and I have had a few guys on here reach out to me to get me out in the woods, which I’m greatly appreciative of. One of my friends uncle and Grandpa were kind enough to let me go out with them tonight, and I was able to connect. It wasn’t a big deer by any means, but after the season I have had, it was a trophy in my book. Meat in the freezer

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 5

Been following this thread for a couple years and really enjoy it! I have had a good season so far. Four deer down including a mature 8 point on the morning of November 18. I have been focusing on taking my two boys(6 and 9) over the past couple weeks holding out hope for a lone mature doe. I have been leaving the field on the property alone, in spite of seeing deer there every evening. Trying to leave them alone and letting a couple bucks eat without being pushed.

Sitting in my my ground blind this afternoon with my 6 year old, Phil, we heard a very close shot fired in the field at 4:05. We packed up and headed out to investigate. There was a truck parked next to the field that I had been avoiding!

I called the DEC officer in our area after seeings foot prints heading into my leased land. Three guys came out of the brush including a young kid. I told them the game warden was on route. They were very polite and remorseful of what they had done. I doubt they cared about ruining my hunt, and potentially putting Phil and I in danger.

The officer made it there in less than 10 minutes. He did a great job handling the situation. I am very thankful he was so close. I am going to press charges against the guys that did this. My lease is clearly posted and I am sure they had full intent! It's sad that these things happen. I wish people would respect others land and not engage in these activities.

Both my boys are now nervous about going hunting. It's really not fair to them. Plus the guys had a young person with them. Talk about teaching a bad lesson....the whole experience really makes me sad!
The DEC officet has been excellent and I am grateful for his help. Good luck to all during muzzleloader! I don't intend on letting today's experience stop me from hunting and taking my boys.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

First sit of muzzleloader in 8G. Walked up on a big bodied deer walking to the stand. Not sure if it was a buck or doe. It walked off slowly. Good luck to everyone that is out!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I believe the DEC took the deer. He went with the guys to get it. He asked me take off before they went to get it. Every one was being civil, I am sure the officer wanted to prevent any tensions from blowing up.
I am meeting with officer this afternoon to give a statement. I spoke with landowner last night. She also wants to press charges. I hope these guys learn their lesson. I doubt it! But one can hope.

Only saw a small buck this morning. Why is it when your trying to kill a doe, a mature one will not give you a shot??? Took tonight off even though I didnt want to. Oh well, hopefully I can sneak out of work this week to try and get something killed. Hopefully Ohio treats me better then New York has this season and I can put something down there.
Good luck in Ohio. Im headed there in January also hopefully it will be cold enough

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I believe the DEC took the deer. He went with the guys to get it. He asked me take off before they went to get it. Every one was being civil, I am sure the officer wanted to prevent any tensions from blowing up.
I am meeting with officer this afternoon to give a statement. I spoke with landowner last night. She also wants to press charges. I hope these guys learn their lesson. I doubt it! But one can hope.

Glad your pressing charges! Poachers need to be caught and held accountable for their actions and the fact that they had a kid with them is just crazy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 12/7/2018 at 8:07 PM, GAMBLER said:

CVA Accura v2 with the nitride barrel. Awesome gun! I shoot the blackhorn also. Make sure you buy the special blackthorn breech plug. I only shoot 105 grains of powder.

TC Omega, Nikon scope.. I think the biggest thing with any newer muzzleloader is the shot load itself. Try a lot until you find your load.

I use 250 grain Shockwave bullets with black BPH 24 sabots and 77 grains of Weighed blockhorn 209 with CCI shotgun primers. 

I would honestly say my hunting partner (same gun) went through 25 different combinations before we settled on this load. 

Just settled in , was able to sneak in pretty stealthy. Have not hunted this side of the property in a while. Tracks all over so I know there are deer that indeed do live here. I dont know why but for some reason I just got a weird feeling...... so weird I dont know if I want to shoot a doe now. Time will tell....m

22 minutes ago, JakeyBaby said:

Just settled in , was able to sneak in pretty stealthy. Have not hunted this side of the property in a while. Tracks all over so I know there are deer that indeed do live here. I dont know why but for some reason I just got a weird feeling...... so weird I dont know if I want to shoot a doe now. Time will tell....m

You just jinxed yourself, shoot a doe.