Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

It's strange to be on the sidelines this morning, but after having taken the safety off and then passing on a nice nine point and several mature doe last Sunday, I figure that's a clue to myself that I'm done. It's either that or just take a camera into the stand. It was a great season. Now it's time to enjoy the family, hike with the dog, put the ice fishing gear together lol, and celebrate my kid getting accepted at UR last night (yea!! It was her first choice). Meliora!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gator said:

It's strange to be on the sidelines this morning, but after having taken the safety off and then passing on a nice nine point and several mature doe last Sunday, I figure that's a clue to myself that I'm done. It's either that or just take a camera into the stand. It was a great season. Now it's time to enjoy the family, hike with the dog, put the ice fishing gear together lol, and celebrate my kid getting accepted at UR last night (yea!! It was her first choice). Meliora!

Great news !!!!!!! Congratulations and I’ll let you know how we do

Congrats Keith. I think it says a lot about your relationship...the fact that she selected U of R:smile: as well as the possible financial benefit to you:lol:

I guess everyone has their own method of hunting and custom stand:lol: The mate to this guy was perched over my doorstep and flew as soon as I opened the doo just now.

redtail.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

December 14 pm

40 degrees

south wind 5 mph

cloudy

Late report... Lots of deer last night. 16 total. All flatheads. No horns. They were on their feet fairly early also. Where are the horns at? 4 days to go.

First estrous cycle on 1st year does 30 days after primary estrous sometimes can be an early Xmas gift. Last kick at the can with the bow tonight in my East wind tree. Good luck everyone 

My girls have finally reached the age that they are done with travel soccer!  Those of you with kids in sports know the journey.  With soccer it was two practices and at least one game each per week for each kid.  With the soccer schedules cutting into hunting, the past decade I had given up any notions of QDM and worked to fill tags during my limited hunting time available.  I might have one sit (am or pm) per weekend. The good news is my tags would get filled, the bad news is I would be tagged out before the rut started and would miss out on all the glory of chasing and big buck opportunities.  This year I had some time to hunt and returned to selective harvest.  I got to enjoy the first week of November and enjoyed two days of hard chasing.  I had one opportunity on a 120" symmetrical 8 point at 12 yards but alas he took the "wrong" trail and I had no clear shot.  Just to be in the woods when the big boys are patrolling was fun again.  The draw back to QDM is tag-sandwichs!  I am eating two buck tags this year and it tastes like crap!  I did my part as conservationist and filled three doe tags so the freezer is full but there is an empty feeling of not feeling antlers in the hand.  Lets hope the rest of the winter is mild.  Seeing yearlings out in the middle of fields during daylight hours makes me think deer are stressed already.  Next year I am turning 50 and I am treating myself to a bucket list Kansas bow hunt with a friend that lives out there.  Can't wait.  

• Like 1

Nice work. I wonder how many bad shots are happening during non-legal shooting hours.  I was on Darien Lake State Park gutting my doe last night and I heard a distant shot at 5:15...way too dark to descriminate the crease in the leg IMO. I also heard a two shot barrage which is s little strange during muzzle season!  

15 minutes ago, longspurs said:

Had a leg swinger walk by yesterday afternoon had to do the right thing. What a shot the person put on her can't believe she was still walking around. Hardy animals .IMG_20181215_164131.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good deal

That crap happens a lot when people can't shoot or a lot of times deer drives people flinging at moving animals

Edited by dvdegeorge