Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

Longspurs, nice job man.  I had similar scenario yesterday

I was out looking to top off the freezer with a doe and sure enough a nice one came out of the brush around 9am.  I was waiting for a good shot when a yearling came out behind her.  I was mulling over the decision to shoot her with the little one when I see another yearling come out but this one was hopping on 3 legs.  Knew I couldn't leave him like that so I turned to set up on him.  Doe musta seen me and bolted with first yearling.  The wounded deer knew he couldn't run so he just froze but I had a good shot so I took it.  Got him in the heart and he dropped.  Felt a little strange shooting a button buck (first deer with a muzzleloader) but seemed like the right thing to do.  He had a  bullet wound in left rear leg which was broken so no way he'd make it through the winter.  The bright side was I had been planning on processing one myself for the first time so this guy will be perfect for that.  Got him skinned and washed off in the garage, gonna head out soon to process (with the help of you-tube haha)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BrookTrout said:

Longspurs, nice job man.  I had similar scenario yesterday

I was out looking to top off the freezer with a doe and sure enough a nice one came out of the brush around 9am.  I was waiting for a good shot when a yearling came out behind her.  I was mulling over the decision to shoot her with the little one when I see another yearling come out but this one was hopping on 3 legs.  Knew I couldn't leave him like that so I turned to set up on him.  Doe musta seen me and bolted with first yearling.  The wounded deer knew he couldn't run so he just froze but I had a good shot so I took it.  Got him in the heart and he dropped.  Felt a little strange shooting a button buck (first deer with a muzzleloader) but seemed like the right thing to do.  He had a  bullet wound in left rear leg which was broken so no way he'd make it through the winter.  The bright side was I had been planning on processing one myself for the first time so this guy will be perfect for that.  Got him skinned and washed off in the garage, gonna head out soon to process (with the help of you-tube haha)

Good stuff BrookTrout.  I had to do the same thing this season.  Once you butcher one, it is a piece of cake.  Good luck!

My buddy shot this beast this morning at 915 in Orleans county on his uncles property that we hunt. His first mature buck and first buck in at least 10yrs! Hes had lots of encounters over the yrs but they never seem to work out till this morningimagejpeg_0(1).jpegFB_IMG_1544981134572.jpeg20181216_140110.jpegFB_IMG_1544992604438.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

My buddy shot this beast this morning at 915 in Orleans county on his uncles property that we hunt. His first mature buck and first buck in at least 10yrs! Hes had lots of encounters over the yrs but they never seem to work out till this morningimagejpeg_0(1).thumb.jpeg.d21bbfa5b561c6b9e6394ce0484e938f.jpegFB_IMG_1544981134572.thumb.jpeg.95493005e43d11c6b99596d57fd6599b.jpeg20181216_140110.thumb.jpeg.1d8dff7a35219724bb0f2e03893af448.jpegFB_IMG_1544992604438.thumb.jpeg.9ebfada90f59891e63223c40e6a68464.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Congrats to him,that is a dandy smoke pole buck!!
Good luck to u guy's also.

Sent from my Pixel using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

December 16 pm

38 degrees
SE wind 5 mph
Cloudy
Light rain

The deer were on their feet this afternoon. Saw them almost the entire sit. 20+ total. 3 bucks. One shooter. He was just too damn far out to get a shot.

Probably heard 5-6 shots also.

IMG_20181216_160915405_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

11 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Good stuff BrookTrout.  I had to do the same thing this season.  Once you butcher one, it is a piece of cake.  Good luck!

Thanks.  It went pretty well but between it being a small deer and having damage to one hindquarter and shoulder (exit wound) and my total inexperience didn't end up with as much meat as I probably should of.  I think one issue was being too selective in my trim pile.  I know most say to take off all the fat which I did but how much connective tissue can you throw in the trim pile for making regular ground meat (not sausage or anything fancy)?  Next time will be more efficient for sure.  

Good luck to everyone still trying on the last couple days...

December 17 pm

37 degrees
15 mph gusts 20-35 mph
Cloudy
Snow/ rain

Not exactly ideal conditions but with only a couple more sits left, I hunter. Sat on the same corn field I sat in last night but the opposite end. Saw a dozen. Deer were late to arrive tonight. All of them got there between 415-445. One more day to go!

IMG_20181217_145555343.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good luck tomorrow! Im getting my. Nephew out. Were trying to get him his first rack! Seen a couple nice bucks and when i bring him they dont show! But we are trying, he has passed on a couple small bucks and took his first gun doe this shotgun season! 57006.thumb.jpeg.b040557bc4c1bb9e5801490db4e083e3.jpeg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2