Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

The season is upon us. We are weeks away from the NY opener. Who's ready? Certainly not me. Work has been crazy. Between the construction business and chartering I have been going 7 days a week for awhile. Today's small craft advisory has me halted and has giving me a chance to play catch up in the office. In case you missed it, fishing has been pretty damn good this year. It is tough to pull myself away from that and get ready for the hunting season. I am pretty surprised I am not burned out from it yet. My last trip is scheduled for September 26th and that will be the official end to the fishing season for me. I will go straight from fishing season to deer season with very little time to breathe. I literally haven't even seen my bow in months. It may be time to stop procrastinating. 

For you that follow this annual hunting thread... welcome back. To those who are new to it... welcome. We may be from all over but the idea here is to share ideas and experiences in the deer woods. Really no different than what we do on the water. Feel free to contribute or feel free to troll. Either way it is a loooooong thread and a loooong season so enjoy.

Good luck to every one is 2018 and be safe.

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

Check out the 2017 thread...

• Like 2

Last year I had most of my cameras in the woods by September 1. This year I have yet to get any in the woods. Time to push forward. They are out of storage loaded with fresh batteries and ready to go. Just need some time to run into the woods and get them up. Sunday and Monday I am hoping.

I purchased Browning Strike Force Elite HD cameras last year. I like them so much I ended up buying a bunch of them. Anyone looking for a great camera at a reasonable price check them out.

https://browningtrailcameras.com/

image.jpeg.c461a3fcfabf50884009c5ba7257cfb5.jpeg

I have a combination of Bushnell Trophy and now all my newer cameras are from Browning. If you can, try to find the BTC-5HDE model, which is the "Elite HD" that Rob mentioned. They show as sold out on the Browning site, but may be available from other sources as a late year model. I bought a few of the earlier/lower end Browning cameras cheap, and they weren't nearly as good. I haven't tried this year's models.

I've been shooting on and off for a few weeks now and I mowed the trails at our property for the second and final time yesterday. The boat gets pulled this morning, and it's on to thinking about tree stands. September is a crazy month.

Edited by Gator

I don’t even have a bow for this season yet and I’m gonna be leaving for New Zealand friday for work for a minimum of 2 weeks. I’m not too concerned about letting a few of my spots sit a little longer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just finished up a 9 hour shift in the woods today. And I'm shot! Cleared down trees and mowed all the trails. Checked/ moved stands, cut shooting lanes. Moved and brushed in ground blinds.... you name it and I'm still not done. Food plots are not doing well due to the extreme lack of rain in my area. Only have one decent buck on camera at this point and have had 6 cameras soaking for over a month. Doesn't worry me to much as the good ones unusually dont show up until mid October anyway. Love this thread and cant wait to start chasing the best animal in North America!!

It was nice to spend the morning in the woods. Five cameras hung. Two stands moved and tweaked. Brushed in a couple stands. Trimmed a few shot lanes. A bit of speed scouting. Lots of sign. Laid eyes on two different bucks. Lots of standing corn this year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

10 hours ago, pvelyk said:

Had about sixteen turkeys make me come to a complete stop on the parkway between Sandy and Bald Eagle yesterday early evening.

Ive seen the same group. Hens with a ton of poults. Great to see. 

No, but occasionally Keith H. puts on a deer costume, douses himself in doe urine and poses seductively beneath my tree stand. I've never shot anything over him though.

Matt, now's the time of year to look at those hedgerow apples and tie a ribbon around the ones that look or taste like they have potential. We missed the window last year, but I'd be pleased to lend you my very limited skill set and top work them in March.

1 hour ago, Gator said:

No, but occasionally Keith H. puts on a deer costume, douses himself in doe urine and poses seductively beneath my tree stand. I've never shot anything over him though.

WOW! I can almost see that!

1 hour ago, Gator said:

Matt, now's the time of year to look at those hedgerow apples and tie a ribbon around the ones that look or taste like they have potential. 

I have a spot and I am thinking of hanging a camera on it just to see. The does are always all over it.

Love this thread, I look forward to it each year. Here are two of my plots as of Saturday, fortunately we have had constant rain in 8R and the greens seem to be pretty happy. Good luck to everyone this year and I look forward to seeing pictures and reports of successful hunts in 3 short weeks!20180908_113533.jpg20180908_113038.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have zero issues with my browning cams. I set one up in time lapse mode on a small plot this year. That is interesting to see where they enter and exit. Most of the time I run them in video mode and they have great battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I buy the cheapest cameras I can get. Usually about $40 each. I cannot afford to have people steal expensive cameras because I hunt on public land. It is sad there are scum among us that will steal from their fellow hunters. I have two wildlife innovation cameras that work great. I also have a primos camera. Again each costed about 40$.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app