Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

I was just sitting at a stoplight in Syracuse by the zoo. A doe comes flying down the hill with her tail tucked and runs between the cars into patch of woods. I literally said out loud, "Come on, where are you?" Sure enough 30 seconds later a small buck comes through just hauling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JakeyBaby said:

I'll believe it when it happens! They called for rain most of the day and 30 mph winds today and tomorrow too. Wrong!

I didnt hunt today and that is all i thought about but.... It rained until around 1030 and then again at 130. It has been windy since mid day in Hilton and now it is 40+. 62 degrees. I mean Id rather be hunting but it is a pretty crappy day. I am trying to get work done early this week so I can hunt the last week undisturbed.

As soon as that front came thru and the sun came out it was game on.  My target buck was running back and forth birddogging with his mouth open.  He came to a fork in the trail.  Turn left take two steps and he is dead.  Go right and I have no shot.  He went right........  Then next four days are going to be great.  Does groups are broken up with yearlings wandering around without their mothers.  I saw five different bucks today with two being shooters.  

Here's a question for you guys. How much meat would you expect to get from a large buck? I picked my meat up from the processor today to take to Costanza's, and I was less than impressed. The tally was 48 lbs of boneless venison in total: 28 lbs of chunks to make into sausage; loin and tenderloin left whole; and 12 lbs of ground (which includes pork). However, the tenderloin and one of the loins smelled...bad. My buck was not gut-shot (the broadhead macerated the liver). I've got to wonder if there was a mix-up. The head was left intact for a Euro mount.

This was easily the largest body buck I've ever shot, and I expected more. I know that processors are going to be less thorough than doing it yourself, and it seems like everybody gripes about getting too little meat back from their deer, but you can look back at the picture from yesterday. 48 lbs of meat, including some pork. Thoughts?

Here's a question for you guys. How much meat would you expect to get from a large buck? I picked my meat up from the processor today to take to Costanza's, and I was less than impressed. The tally was 48 lbs of boneless venison in total: 28 lbs of chunks to make into sausage; loin and tenderloin left whole; and 12 lbs of ground (which includes pork). However, the tenderloin and one of the loins smelled...bad. My buck was not gut-shot (the broadhead macerated the liver). I've got to wonder if there was a mix-up. The head was left intact for a Euro mount.

This was easily the largest body buck I've ever shot, and I expected more. I know that processors are going to be less thorough than doing it yourself, and it seems like everybody gripes about getting too little meat back from their deer, but you can look back at the picture from yesterday. 48 lbs of meat, including some pork. Thoughts?
Yeah something isnt right there for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Google searched and found this for comparison.Screenshot_20181106-204442_Chrome.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app