Kicker help

fishinfreak

Just picked up my new kicker today. I can't figure out how I'm going to tie the two together. Any suggestions would be great. There is no holes to put a panther steering bar in the handle of the other motor. Also the motors are at two different heights20180908_131603.thumb.jpg.c5c28320368d241f1d6aadb35df9ad64.jpg20180908_125816.thumb.jpg.8a79bf2d726089028eb02d52eb1ac207.jpg20180908_125805.thumb.jpg.e066c39b566a4c6fb009a8141fe2a61d.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just bought the same boat and motor set up with the kicker from the dealer. I’ll send a pick on how they set it up

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That would be great . You didn't happen to buy from Owasco Marine did you

IMG_1034.HEICIMG_1035.HEICIMG_1036.HEICIMG_1032.HEIC

Let me know if these are not good enough I can take some more in the morning.

I actually drove to Wisconsin to buy it. Picked it up 3 weeks ago and love it.

Thank you very much for those. Do you know what brand steering system that is. Also does yours have a tiller handle because I see those two bolts on mine but I believe my carry handle would be in the way of that. Thank you again

The steering system is SeaStar I think. I do not have a tiller

Mine was on the motor when I bought the boat...however, this is what my bracket looks like and comes up as the part number on the 9.9 schematics. Available at Crowley Marine Products as well as other vendors. 

Bracket Kit (Black) 96186A2

Just a suggestion but have you tried using it by steering with just the big motor? I used to have an EZ steer but discovered I didn't need it with the new 4 stroke 9.8. My boat is a glass Whaler probably heavier than yours too. I just position the kicker tilted a slight bit toward the big motor and seldom have to re-position it and then only into significant wind. It sure simplified things....worth experimenting before investing in other stuff.

Edited by Sk8man

Where the arrow is pointing is the edge (slightly) inward toward the big motor. I also have the Seastar hydraulic steering.

Edited by Sk8man

Since you have seastar hydraulic steering, they make a tie bar as others have said. They are expensive though. You may want to call and discuss the specific parts needed for your tiller.
IMG_2011.JPG

https://www.iboats.com/shop/seastar-solutions-single-cylinder-tie-bar-ho6001.html?cm_mmc=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsqCDhJKx3QIVAYbICh3k3weeEAQYBCABEgL6ivD_BwE

The EZ Steer is nice and cheaper than most others. BUT I have yet to be able to tilt the kicker up when you want to come in, without the rod binding so the kicker won't come to the lock position without removing the steer rod. I have an I/O. and a swimplatform.

My kicker (different make) had bolt holes in the underside of the carry handle I used them to attach a panther steer rod which can be bent to shape any chance there are bolt holes in the underside of your carry handel

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

My kicker (different make) had bolt holes in the underside of the carry handle I used them to attach a panther steer rod which can be bent to shape any chance there are bolt holes in the underside of your carry handel

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
No but there are both holes that hold the carry handle on. I believe Mercury makes a bracket that will bolt there and I can attach the rod to. Another gentleman pointed that out yesterday on the same form. If I'm understanding it correctly

the panther steer has one end with two adjustable brackets that you can spread out to line up the two holes that might be a good answer there.  I wish i had a pic but I dont and the boat is at camp  google this part number 552400 they make a stainless version as well. it has worked extremely well for me and can be disconnected from inside the boat with ease i can also leave it linked and tilt the kicker with no issues I just like to disconnect it so I can lean the kicker all the way to the side when running  i think it only cost like 30 bucks i had to cut it to size but there is a large threaded area so it is very customizable

• Like 1

fishinfreak - I know the above information is well intended and possibly usable but you may find what I did after using the EZ steer that it may not be really necessary in all cases. I used mine for several years and it was a pain in the butt sometimes; especially if you need to release the tie arm while out on the water. Just one more thing to dick around with and a couple hundred bucks that may not be necessary to spend. If you find you actually do need it...fine.... but I think a lot of folks make the assumption that it is absolutely necessasy in all cases without experimenting first.:smile:

fishinfreak - I know the above information is well intended and possibly usable but you may find what I did after using the EZ steer that it may not be really necessary in all cases. I used mine for several years and it was a pain in the butt sometimes; especially if you need to release the tie arm while out on the water. Just one more thing to dick around with and a couple hundred bucks that may not be necessary to spend. If you find you actually do need it...fine.... but I think a lot of folks make the assumption that it is absolutely necessasy in all cases without experimenting first.[emoji2]
I am going to try it next time I'm out. Thanks again