Humminbird depthfinder problem

Ric66

Anybody else have this problem? Happens in deep water- the reading will go from 233ft to 1ft, to 5ft, etc. Seems to happen mostly when the bottom is changing depth fairly quickly (was on Cayuga yesterday). This is the second Humminbird I've had do this. Ready to switch to different brand. I've changed and tried numerous settings- 83hz from 200 etc. I didn't install either of the transducers on the two different boats I've had. My current one was installed by the place I bought the boat.. My current model is Helix 5. Had it for about 3 years. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is very frustrating.

Well cont feel alone i have the gen 1 helix 5 as well and the same exact thing happens. I was quite dissapointed in its performance and simply assumed it was just that as no one else had said anything. I too am on cayuga and my helix is practically useless over 220 ft.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Probably is. But having trouble figuring out "You must have previously installed HumminbirdPC to your laptop"

What is a "Humminbird AS PC3? Somehow I have to "attach the power cable to the new 8 AA batteries on the AS PC3"

No idea  what they're talking about. Hope support can clear this up. Are all depthfinders like this now? We have to keep updating them? I can see for GPS and mapping but just to find the bottom and hold on to it?

The instructions im seeing looks like you update with a micro sd card from computer to the card slot in the hummingbird. I did select the wrong model at first, so all insults withheld, make sure you choose the correct model. Included like if you need it https://www.humminbird.com/support/software-updates

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I have a humminbird 959 with latest firmware and had the problem when it was set to Fresh water and salt water shallow.  Would read the bottom as being 1.6 ft, when switching to deep salt the reading would work again.  I called Humminbird and they said send it in for evaluation ($300) or try using a buddies components (don't have buddy that uses humminbird) or try changing the probe ($125).  I elected to get a new probe (cheapest option) and the unit works great again. 

Humminbird support was not helpful in telling me what I had to download- the HumminbirdPC download. Leave it to my wife to figure it, which she did and I was able to download the specific update for my unit. I hope to try it out on Sunday to see if it helps my unit stay connected to the bottom. Seems like its mostly Humminbird units that lose the bottom.