Salmon river tackle

Onthehook

If I were fishing out of a Kayak and targeting kings I would use a plug style lure, if you are trolling in an area considered to be part of the lake you can use 2 rods in some lakes. Check your regs. For example in Huron you can use 2, in Georgian bay 1.... Plug types are cut plugs like Lyman lures, captains plugs but I would only run one at a time and they would be my first choice. Jplugs will work but work better at higher speeds. Some like to troll big jointed body baits like J13 rapalas and long a bombers. I have hit staggers off spoons like Cleo's trolling in the river, spinners will work at times. If I were fishing Kayak I wouldn't be drift fishing with it I would be trolling with it.  

The above sounds like it is Canadian.  I think the OP is asking about the Salmon River in New York.  He was asking about the estuary, which comes under tributary regulations, in his other post.  The estuary is a part of the river regulations and begins at the lake as follows, "From the upstream most navigation buoy located between the breakwalls at the mouth of the river upstream to the County Rt. 52 bridge in Altmar."  That is all of the river except the fly only sections.

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/fishing/special-regulations-great-lakes-tributaries/

Until October 15, one hook point, which also means one rod. After October 15, floating lures can have multiple points, but you will not likely be in the estuary then. 

If you are out in the lake in NYS, you can use three rods, but that I want to see with a kayak, it is hard enough alone in a small boat.  IF you do go out in the big pond, remember that it changes VERY rapidly, and is VERY unforgiving.

I’m certainly no Canuck. I fished the river in the mid seventies before the boom. I the haven’t fished the Salmon sunce the mid 80’s when when I returned f AK n was overwhelmed by the combat snagging.  Yes I fished it before the Douglestin  Run. 

Was just trying to see what’s the rig these days. 

Btw the Dougleston run was way off of n their “ fishing report”  Fished from 4 til noon n saw 3 porpoising. 

Ill wait til it really picks up. 

Edited by intheslot

16 hours ago, intheslot said:

I’m certainly no Canuck. I fished the river in the mid seventies before the boom. I the haven’t fished the Salmon sunce the mid 80’s when when I returned f AK n was overwhelmed by the combat snagging.  Yes I fished it before the Douglestin  Run. 

Was just trying to see what’s the rig these days. 

Btw the Dougleston run was way off of n their “ fishing report”  Fished from 4 til noon n saw 3 porpoising. 

Ill wait til it really picks up. 

4am til noon? Just an fyi you can only fish the river from 1/2hr before sunrise to 1/2hr after sunset. Sunrise is like 6:40am so I hope you weren't actively fishing at 4am... If you're unsure of the regulations you really need to do some research and find out for sure. As others said the estuary falls under the river regulations.

Jeez! I was driving f home at 4am. 

So many nit pickers n lecturers on here. I’m sorry I asked a simple question. 

Of course I read the regs! 

Why not **** about the snaggers in the rt 3 bridge, the wall in Oswego n at the pools by the dam in Oswego. I’m out of here n cancelling my   Subscription to this clique. 

14 hours ago, Onthehook said:

Jeez! I was driving f home at 4am. 

So many nit pickers n lecturers on here. I’m sorry I asked a simple question. 

Of course I read the regs! 

Why not **** about the snaggers in the rt 3 bridge, the wall in Oswego n at the pools by the dam in Oswego. I’m out of here n cancelling my   Subscription to this clique. 

You asked the question, sorry you don't like the responses you got. You said you fished from 4 til noon... How was I supposed to know you were counting your drive time as fishing time? If I say I started fishing at 6 I usually mean I was actually fishing at 6, not pulling out of my driveway to go fishing at 6. I guess it makes sense that you only saw 3 jump from 4 til noon, hard to see them jump when you're in the truck.

I don't think anyone lectured you, but you came across as someone unfamiliar with fishing in the river/estuary, you even said yourself you hadn't fished it on over 30 yrs. It doesn't help your cause when you then make ambiguous statements that can be interpreted as breaking regulations. Your question was answered by me in the first response to this thread, you weren't happy with it so this continued downhill.

Edited by FishingFool34

On 9/11/2018 at 6:28 PM, Onthehook said:

How do I get these responses to stop? Thanks for the input n goodbye. 

Don't post to begin with asking questions and partially reading the answers!  The guy who posted about one rod two rods, and Lake Huron sounded Canadian.  You sound like a EDITED.  You are welcome, and...and EDITED!

Topic Closed & Locked

Edited by L&M