Saranac lake report.

Went to Saranac lake islands to camp and fish . 

Craziest thing happen this morning . First light ,calm ,very clear water . Went under the bridge through the bouys,ran up to the rocks and bouys to the 90 deg turn just before the narrows are some house size boulders. ( anyone know this spot ?) Fished a 4" senko shaky head . Hooked an 8" largemouth and was reeling it in . A northern I guess was about 15# came up and clamped down on that bass sideways in it mouth about ten ft from the boat . I played him for about 10 seconds before he let go ,OMG ! The poor bass was alive with a fewer teeth marks but he swam away Stong . 

Got about 40 bass and 6 pike on the trip . Great fishing in a beautiful setting.  

Yeah, that's an awesome lake and spot to fish. We've run kayaks through there a bunch of times and I took the Lund from Flower through the lock all the way down once too. Now that's a hairy ride with the current, boulders, and narrow channel! But the fishing is outstanding, particularly off the deep points at this time of year. Lots of good-size smallmouth. If you can make it through the channel to Middle Saranac, there's some great topwater to be had toward the east end over a weed bed that extends much, much further than you'd expect. It sounds like you had a great encounter already.

It's a 45 min ride from launch thru lock to middle to that weedbed on the other end of the lake,but I love that spot  . Nice pike and bass there. Only fished first and second pond as I had to entertain my wife . Never made it to my spots out in lower by Lumbermans point. Was windy .